Injured Palu fears it's over

By Peter Jenkins
July 02, 2007

BACK-row forward Wycliff Palu fears his Rugby World Cup dream has been destroyed by a ferocious collision during Australia's opening Bledisloe Cup win in Melbourne.

Palu will undergo scans this morning for suspected nerve damage in his right shoulder after a trademark hit on New Zealand flanker Jerry Collins aggravated an old and long-term injury.

"It's not too good," he said as the Wallabies returned to Sydney for Saturday night's Tri-Nations showdown with the Springboks.

"The first time I did it a couple of years ago, I was out almost three months and it feels much the same," Palu said. "It's bad timing with the World Cup nine weeks away.

"But with these injuries you can't really say how long.

"Last year when it happened again, I was four to six weeks. But waking up this morning it's pretty sore.

"I can't really raise my arm above my head.

"Is the World Cup in the back of my mind? Yeah it is."

Palu's shoulder went "dead" after the two massive back-row rivals hit the turf midway through the first half. For 20 minutes the Wallabies No.8 struggled on, gradually losing strength in the arm.

During the half-time break he sought out the team medical staff hoping ice might provide relief.

Instead, he was immediately withdrawn from the match and Stephen Hoiles sent into the action.

"We don't know the extent of Cliffy's injury," Wallabies coach John Connolly said. "It concerns us, of course it does, he's a world-class player."

In his absence, Hoiles is likely to start against South Africa with David Lyons called up to the bench.

Connolly remains hopeful veteran halfback George Gregan will recover from a corked leg to play.