Thread: Well done Bernie!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Thumbs up Well done Bernie!

Well done "Bernie" Larkham on reaching this amazing milestone
    You are a credit to yourself, your strappers and Leukoplast to be still playing such brilliant Rugby after eleven years as the star of CSI Flyhalf!!!
    Thank for the memories mate and here's to the last few matches going to plan

Larkham to join exclusive club

July 02, 2007 - 6:17pm
    Story by: Sportal

Wallaby flyhalf Stephen Larkham will play his 100th career Test match at Sydney's Telstra Stadium on Saturday.

The majestic flyhalf will join halfback, George Gregan, and former Wallaby winger, David Campese, as only the third Australian to win 100 Wallaby caps.

Larkham's 100th Test will also mark the end of his Test career on home soil, 11 years after making his debut against Wales in Sydney in 1996.

Perhaps fittingly, Larkham's long-time Wallaby and Brumbies teammate, Gregan, will also play his last home Test on Saturday, a fact not lost on Larkham.

"It's a very proud milestone for myself but to have George alongside me is going to make it doubly special," Larkham said.

"I think sharing the last Test in Australia with George is also going to be very special and I'm very happy that he's going to be fit for the Test."

The laconic flyhalf maintains he won't allow himself to dwell on the milestone as he prepares to take on the new-look Springboks outfit.

"Potentially after the match is where the emotions come in and I'll start thinking about it but beforehand it's certainly going to be business as usual," Larkham said.

Larkham is adamant the Wallabies won't underestimate the Boks despite claims they have sent a B-side down-under.

"The side they're (South Africa) sending out, although they've been written off in the press, I think it's going to be a very formidable side that they put on the paddock," Larkham said.

"It's obviously not going to be the same side that we played over there but still, going into the World Cup, I think it'll be a very good psychological boost for us if we can get the win."

"I don't think there will be any complacency, the Tri-Nations is now up for grabs, so all sides have won one match and it's really there for the taking."

"It's a matter of who performs best in these last couple of games and I think whilst we were happy with the win on the weekend there were still certainly areas of our game that need improving."

"This week's not a matter of resting on our laurels more so of improving on the mistakes we made on the weekend (against the All Blacks)," Larkham said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    At 14, little Stephen turned up to play

Greg Growden
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007

When Stephen Larkham was about 14, his father drove him from Canberra to witness his first Test, held at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Even then Larkham had an inkling that one day he would appear in the Wallabies green and gold. The teenager brought his football boots along to the SFS. It was just in case one of the Wallabies was injured and "they needed to call someone from the stands". "Growing up I loved rugby, and always thought I was going to play for Australia at some stage," Larkham said.

Belief is a crucial factor in any player's career. Endurance is another, and even Larkham seems mystified that despite achieving his dream of becoming a Wallaby, it would extend to a 100-plus Test career.

On Saturday against the Springboks at Telstra Stadium, the 33-year-old will become the third Australian player to reach the 100-Test milestone, following David Campese and George Gregan.

The celebrations will involve a special commemorative cap which will be presented to Larkham, who is without doubt one of the 10 greatest Wallabies ever, showing his versatility as a first-rate international fullback and five-eighth. His career has involved hideous injuries, endless moments of courage, and jubilation - none better than his field goal in the 1999 World Cup semi-final against South Africa.

But most importantly, he will be remembered for his ability through the most intelligent of football minds to repeatedly turn Test matches in Australia's favour.

It was with delight that the Test five-eighth yesterday explained that Gregan, despite a corked leg, would be fit for the Springboks Test so they can share this special moment.

Adding to the moment is that it will be Larkham and Gregan's last Test match on Australian soil. The pair have been playing side by side for 12 years at Test and provincial level, forging a tight bond.

"It will be a proud milestone, but to have George beside me will make it doubly special," Larkham said yesterday. "As it is our last Test in Australia, he'll be looking forward to it as much as I will be. But I won't be too emotional about it. There's a lot of work to be done before the match and the Springbok side they are sending out, although written off in the press, will be formidable.

"Potentially after the match is where the emotions will come in, and when I'll start thinking about it. Beforehand, it is certainly going to be business as usual."

Larkham's aspirations to be a Test footballer began well before he appeared as a self-conscious and gangly 21-year old with the ACT Brumbies in 1996. Within a few months of his provincial debut he had played the first Test as a replacement against Wales in Sydney.

"Growing up, I always watched the Bledisloe Cups. They were the biggest games in the year, and I always wanted to play for Australia against New Zealand at some stage," Larkham said.

"Back then, Australia only played three or four Test matches per year. So at the time to even think you could play 100 Tests was just irrational. The professional era has come, and I think a lot more guys will be reaching that milestone in the near future."

It will still be some time before another Australian achieves such a feat. The next closest is George Smith with 77 Test caps.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Good spot Burgs.
    Didn't realise he was up to 100.
    Still think Campos century was more significant, being in the 'amatuer' era.

Quaere: how many people from other nations have made the test ton?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    c/o Growdens last Ruck & Maul:

It will be the Stephen Larkham Show at Telstra Stadium tomorrow night when the champion five-eighth becomes the third Australian to pass 100 Test caps.

Larkham is one of the more left-of-centre characters to appear in Australian colours: eccentric, intense, unpredictable and brilliant.

According to those who knew him at the start of his career, he was always destined to be a Wallabies great.

Max Crozier, who coached Larkham in the ACT under-21s at the 1995 carnival, where he was picked as a halfback, contacted R&M to explain that, from the outset, he had "amazing vision".
    "However, his most important personal trait did not surface until after the first game," Crozier wrote.
    "Within minutes of the game starting on Manuka Oval, he was jersey-flung and landed head first on the cricket pitch. Unconscious for almost 30 seconds, it was the end of his tournament. He went to hospital for observation."

To everyone's surprise, Larkham turned up at training next day.
    "He knew that because of the concussion, he would not be allowed to play," Crozier said.
    "Instead, he asked if he could stay with the team in camp, even if it meant having to sleep on the floor [his replacement had his bed], and he would help out wherever he could during the rest of the tournament. He never missed training, collected balls, ran water, passed from the nine position and attended every game. Early signs of a future Australian legend."

And though this column has been harsh on the South Africans over the years, hearty congratulations to them for deciding to present Larkham with a special commemorative Springboks jersey for making the ton.
    A grand gesture.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wow, this is a big achievement considering how much time the guy spends injured...congrats on keeping the sports medicine industry alive and the ton as well

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah agreed Skiz, if Bernie had stayed fit he would have been up with George for sure.

Larkham eyeing fairytale farewell

July 06, 2007

EVEN as he enters his 100th Test, Stephen Larkham still dares to dream.

Larkham, 33, has achieved virtually everything during his distinguished 12-year international career but the brilliant five-eighth heads into Australia's all-important Tri-Nations clash with South Africa at Telstra Stadium tomorrow night with one box still to tick.

Victory over South Africa would keep alive Australia's hopes of an historic treble in 2007 - and it is that fairytale finish that Larkham craves.

"We win the Bledisloe (Cup), we win the Tri-Nations, we win the World Cup all in one year and then I retire. That would be the ultimate," Larkham said.

"Personally, that would be great."

No team has ever completed the trifecta.

Australia came close in 1999, winning the Bledisloe and World Cups but losing out to New Zealand in the Tri-Nations.

In 2003, the All Blacks lifted the Bledisloe Cup and Tri Nations trophy but bombed out in the World Cup semi-finals.

It is a curse Larkham is determined to break, but he knows it won't be easy.

Even if the Wallabies beat the understrength Springboks tomorrow, they will have to snap a six-match, 21-year losing streak against the All Blacks at Auckland's Eden Park on July 21 to keep the dream alive.

And he is expecting an even tougher time than usual from the All Blacks following its shock 20-15 loss to the Wallabies in Melbourne last Saturday night.

"Potentially they would probably take more out of that loss than we can take out of the win," Larkham said.

"And our record in Auckland is terrible, so it's going to be a very big ask and to win a Bledisloe when it's a best-of-two series home and away is so difficult.

"But that would be really special. Personally for me, it would be really special because growing up it was always the game against New Zealand that I would watch.

"But I think what's most important for the team at the moment is that we improve on our performance on the weekend.

"A lot of people have said that we played so well (in beating the All Blacks), but I think we realised we've got a lot of improvement to do.

"We've just got to make sure we don't get carried away with that win."

Larkham and veteran halfback George Gregan, 34, will be playing their last Tests in Australia tomorrow and Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock today said the home team was pumped to send the two champions out as winners.

"It's a fair impetus for us to get up," Mortlock said.

"You're lucky to be involved with guys that have given so much to Australian rugby - and world rugby - and to hopefully send them off in a fashion that is fitting to what they deserve."

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.