Thread: South Africa v New Zealand 2007

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

South Africa v New Zealand 2007

It would seem that Graham Henry isn't afraid of having old reliable Hookers going into the World Cup...

Eight All Blacks changes

From correspondents in Durban, South Africa
    June 19, 2007

NEW Zealand coach Graham Henry has made eight changes to his team for Saturday's Tri-Nations Test with South Africa at Durban's Absa Stadium.

Isaia Toeava reclaims the No 13 jersey from Luke McAlister, while up front there are several changes, with the new-look front row of Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver and Tony Woodcock the most significant.

South Africa-born lock Greg Rawlinson has been favoured to Ross Filipo, who started last week, and he'll join Troy Flavell in the second row.

The back row has also got a familiar look with Jerry Collins returning to the side of the scrum and Rodney So'oialo taking over at No 8.

The Springboks, who may be without injured skipper John Smit, prop Gurthro Steenkamp and loose forward Juan Smith, will name their team tomorrow.

Agence France-Presse

New Zealand:

1. Tony Woodcock,
    2. Anton Oliver,
    3. Carl Hayman,
    4. Troy Flavell,
    5. Greg Rawlinson,
    6. Jerry Collins,
    7. Richie McCaw (C),
    8. Rodney So'oialo,
    9. Byron Kelleher,
    10. Dan Carter,
    11. Sitiveni Sivivatu,
    12. Aaron Mauger,
    13. Isaia Toeava,
    14. Joe Rokocoko,
    15. Mils Muilaina;
    16. Keven Mealamu,
    17. Neemia Tialata,
    18. Ross Filipo,
    19. Chris Masoe,
    20. Piri Weepu,
    21. Luke McAlister,
    22. Leon MacDonald.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Burgs, there is no such thing as an old Hooker. Only reliable.

Front rowers never age ...

vCash
    Looks like a damn good line up to me! No worries with oliver and Mealamu or any of the old firm in the front row. Intresting to see how the lock's hold up against bakkies and Matfield, It's hard to take out Ali, Jack, and Kieth and still have a pair of good locks but Flavell has been awesome all year and Rawlinson is a good player.

Isaia will have a lot to prove in at 13 with McCalister on the bench and Comrad Smith out injured.

I thought Brendan Leonard might have slipped past either Bryron or Piri for a seat on the bench but Im sure we'll see him in the mix at some stage during the Tri - Nations. They'll want to groom him with both the established half backs heading off soon.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And if you want to put your vCash where your mouth is.....you can bet here

http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=8503

vCash
    Havent figured out how to do that yet but I'll give it a go!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's easy Nick, you just bend over, drop your strides and see what the vBookie wants to give you...

By the way, don't think that I don't rate the all five AB Front Row players, just making the reference to an apparent need to "blood" new ones in Australia at the expense of our most experienced Hooker ever and reportedly our best technician in JP and Taipan respectively.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nick...If you have a look under your avatar when you make a post you will see how many vCash points you have...at present you have 12995....you accumulate points when you join..start thread and post.

So go to the TAB thread and have a flutter....remember 10,000 maximum bet..and you can go into negative points if you wish....

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Suss in the locks and not their best team ive ever seen. Handy all the same but my money is on the Boks. Only problem with this game is that there can only be 1 loser.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    ...unless both teams score the same number of points in the game!

No winner, no loser

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    33/1 for that....you can be a BIG winner......bet big..bet often

vCash
    looks great, they should be able to take care of the boks.

why is toeava in insted of Mcalister, Mcalister is heaps better,

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Relaxation key to All Blacks winning in South Africa: Henry

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

All Blacks coach Graham Henry has ordered his players to hang up their rugby boots and unfurl the fishing rods or golf clubs as they take a low key route into their biggest Test of the year to date.

By acknowledging his players are not robots, Henry hopes to have them fizzing at Absa Stadium on Sunday morning (Aus time) in their bid to break an ordinary recent record in South Africa.

Tuesday in seaside Durban is set down as a day to hit the water or the fairways, with not a rugby ball, tape recorder or television camera in sight.

There were still jet lag issues for the New Zealanders, most of whom played a Test match on Saturday night then slept for just four hours, before an early morning wakeup call then 18 hours on a plane to South Africa via Sydney.

"We don't want to overdo it otherwise we'll be worse off. We've just got to be intelligent as to how we prepare," Henry said before a light training session in heavily overcast, windy weather.

Most of the buildup was worked on last week when most frontliners were rested from the Test against Canada in Hamilton.

Nearly a year ago Henry went for rest over rugby training as they lounged at Sun City at the end of a torrid season, having hammered the Springboks 45-26 at their Pretoria fortress.

A week later the All Blacks were stung by a 20-21 loss at Rustenberg as it seemed the players' minds may have been on the flight home.

There's plenty more riding on this Test, although Henry is intent on separating the Tri-Nations in upcoming weeks from rugby's ultimate prize going on the line at the World Cup in France this year.

"I can't remember when we've won here. We've won one of four I think since this management group's (Henry, Steve Hansen and Wayne Smith) been together," Henry said.

"It's obviously the biggest challenge that we face in rugby at the moment, which is stimulating."

The All Blacks have lost in South Africa once in each of the past three years, stretching back to Johannesburg in 2004. No other team have beaten them in that period.

Henry went for dry humour over caustic comments -- having zeroed in on negative French tactics and International Rugby Board scheduling in recent weeks - at his team naming press conference.

He unveiled eight personnel and nine positional changes from last Saturday's 64-13 win over Canada.

Locking injury crisis aside, the team feature their top loose forward combination and front row, and probably their best backline although the heat is on Isaia Toeava to nail down the troublesome centre spot.

NZPA

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ohhhhhhhhhhh...underdone maybe........I think I might change tips

vCash
    Well Isaia has had some brilliant form but i think they feel he needs to hardend with test experience before the world cup, and that the interchange between Mauger and McCalister is more likely (or a shuffle). I think a fit and in form Conrad Smith and McCalister Combination with Cater at 5/8th is the best option but not availble at the moment.

The Ab's will bring home the bacon I think in a very close and physical game. Im not concerned about the front row, back row, or backs - the only real worry is the Locking Combination but Flavell brings pleanty agression to the position which is always handy in the Republic.

I think I read a report that Jack will be back for the Wallabies clash and that will shore up the ranks a little bit. Ali would have been perfect for this game, fast mobile and a lot of focused physicality on the field.