Thread: Latham Update

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Latham Update

Latham can ease hangover

Rupert Guinness
    Monday, June 18, 2007

One of the first things Wallabies coach John Connolly will do upon his return home today - besides getting "on the drink" - will be to check on Chris Latham.

The Queensland fullback, who ruptured knee ligaments in training and underwent surgery before the Super 14 season, is the last "missing link" among Connolly's back-line options to become available for World Cup selection.

But in truth, Latham, 31, is more than a missing link for the Wallabies. He is a vital link - hence Connolly's likely haste to be updated on his fitness.

Connolly should be heartened by the news the 2006 IRB player of the year nominee will finally resume squad training with the Reds this week with a view to fighting his way back into the Wallabies for the Tri Nations clash against the Springboks in Sydney on July 7. If that proves too soon, then he will aim for the All Blacks clash in Auckland on July 21.

"It is more likely to be the last one, but I am really hoping I can get in that South African game," said Latham. "It's that close and hard a call. It [won't be] a failure to be fit enough, or a failure in that the injury is not right, but whether [the Springbok Test] is the best option."

For now, Latham is focussed on and getting through his first few sessions of controlled contact work in a squad environment with the Reds. He might even play club rugby on Saturday for the Gold Coast Breakers. "Whether or not I make that date is no real reflection of how I am physically with the injury," said Latham.

"It is whether or not it is relevant that I play, or if it's more relevant to be training to make sure I get the strength I need. It is really up in the air at the moment."

That his former Reds teammate, Julian Huxley, has impressed in the Wallabies No.15 slot has not overly worried Latham, either. He has learned in his 72-cap Test career that you can't take selection for granted. He even welcomes the impending battle as a source of added motivation.

"Competition is always healthy," Latham said. "If you ever think that that position is yours, then you become complacent. You don't do the work and you don't do the things that are required, and I guess that is what pride is. I have had that all through my career and obviously it's no different."

Latham admits the journey back has been as much a test of the mind as it has of his body. The loneliness of five months of rehabilitation with only a trainer for company has got to him. "It is a pretty lonely process when you get out of a team environment [where there is] day-to-day interaction with teammates," he said. "You start to have your own mind games which can be quite draining."

"That is why I am really looking forward to getting back to that team environment; having that competitive aspect and being able to share it."

Latham also firmly believes the Wallabies can win this year's World Cup - a statement he made before the side fell two late field goals short of defeating the Springboks in their Tri Nations opener at Cape Town on Saturday night.

"The thoughts of the team is that we can be and will be successful," he said. "We just have to play our side, keep tight, stick together and believe in what we are doing. And, once again, do the job when it comes to World Cup time."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Latham puts off comeback

Latham puts off comeback

By Jim Morton
    June 18, 2007

SIDELINED Wallabies dynamo Chris Latham has postponed his club comeback and may even dodge the Tri-Nations to be primed for the World Cup.

Latham has enjoyed a "perfect" rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction but today cancelled his playing return for Gold Coast in the Queensland premiership.

The 72-Test fullback had earmarked Saturday's club outing as part of a bold bid to play for the Wallabies against South Africa on July 7 in Sydney.

However, with the long-awaited chance to own Australia's No.15 jersey for the first time in a World Cup, he is mindful of the risks in rushing back early.

With conflicting thoughts about the best route, Latham has given national coach John Connolly and rehab advisers Cameron Lillicrap and Dirk Spitz the responsibility of making the right call.

That may not include a club appearance on a hard suburban ground and he could instead be ushered back, possibly for the final Tri-Nations Test against New Zealand in Auckland on July 19, through squad training.

"I'd like to play as soon as a I possibly can," said Latham, the World Cup back-up to Matt Burke in 1999 and Mat Rogers in 2003.

"But to do that and whether I have to play Test rugby or I've got to play club rugby, and when that's got to be, I'm not sure.

"I haven't played for so long that so much of me just wants to play rugby wherever I can for whoever I can, and then so much of me wants to come back and play for the Wallabies in the Tri-Nations, and so much of me wants to be 100 per cent correct and right to go come World Cup."

The John Eales Medallist and finalist in the IRB's player of the year award in 2006, Latham is the final piece to be placed in the Wallabies backline puzzle.

Highlighting the big-kicking custodian's importance was the difficulty Australia had in booting themselves out of their own half in the 22-19 loss to the Springboks in Cape Town.

Latham ruptured knee ligaments in Queensland training in January but is rapt by his rehab, which went up a notch today when he returned to squad training with the Reds academy.

"I don't think it could have gone any better," he said."Every single decision and every single thing and every single day if you want to put it on a scale from one to 10, I think we've hit a 10.

"I've condensed a very serious injury into what hasn't even been six months yet so it's just a matter of making sure we get the timing right with this."

Frustrated by watching from the sidelines, Latham is on guard in case conflicting emotions cloud his judgement.

"That's why I've taken the decision out of my hands and pretty much given it to people I trust highly to make it for me because I don't think I'd have the ability to make the right decision at the right time."

Wallabies attack coach Scott Johnson indicated the selectors were happy to allow Latham time to return and also give second-choice Julian Huxley a chance to settle in as a Test fullback.

"I call (Latham) a banker," he said. "I just put him in the bat cage and say I can bank on him later when I need him. He's banked up getting good interest."

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I would like to see him play a game or two before the RWC. It's asking a lot to come in and perform after a break like that.

Surely now, the stage is set for the mighty Shep to make his mark!
    Go Shep Go!

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In a major boost to the Wallabies' World Cup hopes, match-winning fullback Chris Latham today passed a fitness test on his injured knee and was cleared to make his return to club football.

Latham will play his first match of the year on Saturday for the Gold Coast against Norths in the Queensland premier rugby competition. He may be back for Australia's Bledisloe Cup decider against New Zealand in Auckland on July 21.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I as i posted before, no one ever comes back from serious knee injuries in the space of time that Latham is aiming for. I really hope im wrong, as i would love to see him back for the Wallabies. Hope he gets through his first match unscathed.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I bet JP is watching on with interest/disgust...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yep, disgust Burgs!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another unconvincing display by Huxley demonstrated just how important a Latham come back is to our chances in France.
    However, I think just as important is at the other end of the playing numbers with the mention of Holmes in the final paragraph having also played today.
    I believe Holmes to vital as our starting Loosie with Shepherdson #3 and Dunning covering on the bench.
    Then we can be finally rid of super chump Trestle, otherwise we will have to rely on someone in customs revoking his travel visa to France under grounds of potential national embarrassment :versad:

Latham shines in return match

July 07, 2007

MISSING Australia linchpin Chris Latham declared himself a certainty to be in peak condition for the World Cup after making an impressive comeback three months ahead of schedule.

Returning from a knee reconstruction, Latham scored a try, set up another and was dangerous throughout in 40 minutes for his club side, the Gold Coast Breakers.

Latham was originally slated to play just 25 minutes in his first hit-out since the last Test of 2006, against Scotland in November, but played the whole second half of the Breakers' 54-5 thumping of North-QUT in Queensland Premier Rugby.

Incredibly nervous during the warm-up, it was a less than convincing start for the Australia full back when he spilled the ball with his first touch after being crunched in a sandwich tackle.

But the signature sharpness, pace, jinking runs and a try-saving tackle were there as the Breakers steamrolled their opponents in a six-try second-half.

After setting up a try with a 40m bust midway through, Latham scored his own after stepping inside three cover defenders and rolling over in a tackle on the line.

Latham twice gave the inflated crowd at the suburban Shaw Road ground palpitations when he fell awkwardly but he was extremely pleased by his knee's strength.

"I never had an issue with it at all," he said.

"I got caught in a really bad position and it held up. My first thought was this is going to go and it did hold so I'm very happy.

"I have never been that nervous in my life.

"Obviously it was the thought of being my first match back after eight months and more the apprehension, just hoping that everything held together."

Latham, the last piece to complete Australia's backline puzzle, had no doubts he would be at full-strength and in peak condition for the World Cup, kicking off in France on September 7.

"It's not a probably, it's a definite now," he said. "It's strong, I'm confident now, I just can't wait for next week."

Latham will now play 60 minutes in the Breakers major semi-final against minor premier GPS at Ballymore next Sunday but is unlikely to play the Tri-Nations decider against New Zealand in Auckland on July 21.

"I need to get these blowouts. Running is one thing, playing is what I need now."

The Queenslander convinced Australian Rugby Union strength and conditioning officer Dirk Spits, who has been his personal rehab conditioner, to play the full half after "stewing" over the initial decision to play 25 minutes.

Spits said Latham's recovery, six months after rupturing ligaments in pre-season training, was well ahead of schedule as the average player took nine months following a reconstruction to return to the field.

Among the Breakers' eight tries was a pick-and-drive by former Wallabies lock Garrick Morgan who is still playing at 36.

Latham's wasn't the only successful comeback with Wallabies prop Greg Holmes (shoulder) coming off the bench for Sunnybank in a late bid for World Cup selection.

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Good to hear Latham had a good return match, not too soon by the display last night...We also need to look at Gerrard, definately hot and cold, and not too good under the high ball....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Relieved Latham back with bang

By Peter Badel
    July 08, 2007

AUSTRALIA fullback Chris Latham said he'd exorcised the demons from his knee reconstruction after making a successful return to rugby yesterday.

The world's best custodian took the first step towards the World Cup in park rugby at Shawsportz, playing the second half for Gold Coast Breakers against Norths-QUT at Kalinga.

It was Latham's first hit-out since undergoing knee surgery after breaking down at Reds training in January.

Wearing jersey No20, the Queensland flyer looked as sharp as ever, scoring a 65th-minute try and foiling a Norths try-scoring chance in his side's 54-12 drubbing. Latham said his comeback carried the type of nerves associated with playing a World Cup final.

"Obviously it's a relief to get it over and done with," he said.

"I came through good. I needed this just to get rid of that fear and know that the strength (in the knee) is there. I know that now and hopefully now it will just be instinct.

"I have never been that nervous in my life. I think it was the thought of my first game back in eight months. It was the apprehension of just hoping that everything held together.

"I didn't want to run on and hobble straight back off again.

"I've got that out of the way and now I can play footy again."

Despite his impressive return, Latham admits he is not ready for a Tri-Nations call-up.

"As much as my heart wants to and as much as my ambitious side of me wants to, at the moment I wouldn't do the (Wallabies) jersey justice," he said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.