Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brave Wallabies pipped by Springboks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brave Wallabies pipped by Springboks

Brave Wallabies pipped by Springboks

June 17, 2007 - 12:10am
    Story by: Sportal

Two drop goals from 20-year-old Springboks rising star Francois Steyn have denied the Wallabies an historic Tri-Nations victory, Australia falling 22-19 to South Africa in Cape Town.

The Wallabies led 19-16 with seven minutes to go before Steyn came off the bench to slot a fabulous 42-metre drop goal from near the sideline in the 74th minute to level the scores at 19-all.

Three minutes later he calmly kicked the winning points from 25 metres out on the other side of the field to the delight of the sold-out Newlands stadium.

However, for most of the match, the Cape Town crowd sat in silence as the Wallabies made a mockery of pre-match predictions of a massacre to upstage the home side through determined and disciplined play.

The Wallabies led the Springboks 16-10 at half-time after an entertaining first 40 with both teams scoring a try each. An epic territorial battle developed in the second half with the Wallabies ahead 19-10 via two penalties to Mortlock.

Montgomery kept the Boks in touch with two penalties before Steyn ensured himself instant hero status with two great strikes from his right boot.

Australia soaked up relentless pressure in the opening 10 minutes as South Africa took advantage of a mammoth 82 per cent possession to launch a raft of enterprising attacking raids. The Wallabies defence held firm and the only points on the scoreboard came via a penalty each to Percy Montgomery and Stirling Mortlock.

But in the 15th minute, Springboks centre Jacque Fourie took advantage of confusion from a dropped ball in attack, to pin his ears back for the corner and the opening try of the match. Montgomery threaded an excellent conversion from the sideline for a 10-3 lead.

The Springboks threatened again when centre Jean de Villiers strolled through a yawning gap in the midfield, but good scrambling defence forced the attack wide and over the sideline.

The Wallabies eventually worked their way back into the contest through disciplined play, completing simple but effective pick and drives, and consolidating their field position by taking points every time they visited the Springboks 22.

Mortlock kicked another penalty after a high tackle on Giteau by Juan Smith before Giteau went over for a try in the 31st minute.

The Wallabies showed patient build-up through nine phases move play to inside the home side's 22. Hooker Stephen Moore burst then through the middle of the ruck and Giteau was in support to dive over for a five-pointer. Mortlock added the extras to silence the Newlands sold-out crowd at 13-10.

Just two minutes later, Giteau almost scored again after another nicely worked new backline move that saw Giteau wrap around wide and put a grubber kick through for Tuqiri and himself, with Boks winger JP Pietersen just beating the Aussie pair to the ball.

Five minutes before half-time, some crafty work from George Gregan caught Boks No.8 Pierre Spies offside. The Wallabies earned another penalty right in front of the sticks and saw Spies yellow-carded for repeated infringements in the 'red' zone.

Mortlock kicked the penalty to give the Wallabies a 16-10 lead at the break.

Mortlock kicked another penalty to start the second half after hard-running Boks flanker Schalk Burger was penalised for not rolling away in the tackle 40 metres out from his own line.

Montgomery made it 19-13 just a few moments later when the Springboks earned a penalty inside kicking distance.

Spies' return from the sin-bin seemed to buoy the home side as they started to dominate possession and field position as they had done to open the match.

Once again the Wallabies showed dogged defence to deny the Springboks inside the 22, but put themselves under pressure a sequence of poor clearing kicks, often failing to find touch.

A penalty for a ruck infringement gave South Africa another penalty to make the score 19-16 before two breaks from inside their own 22 gave the Steyn his chance to win the match.

Montgomery made a break down the sideline to put the Boks on attack before Steyn's long-range bomb and De Villiers cut through the centres to take play downfield and on the path to the 77th minute match winner.

Springboks 22
    Tries: Fourie
    Conversions: Montgomery
    Penalties: Montgomery 3
    Drop goals: Steyn 2

Wallabies 19
    Tries: Giteau
    Conversions: Mortlock
    Penalties: Mortlock 3
    Mark Hughes

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I hate it when the opposition win by drop goal... but it's OK if the do it

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    An improvement for the scrum. The lineouts were OK when the throws wrere straight. Pinched 3 or 4 of theirs as well. Outstanding defense. Still plenty of catching up to do but with a stable squad from now on the only way is up.

Can't see too many except Shepherd, and Lyons who might still come into the squad from the dismal A side. 'Speed Bump' Hewat should never wear a green and gold jersey of any kind again after another 'bottle-less' performance. He was not alone.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    Yeah! But it was a beautiful kick, almost as good as the one at Subi.

The backs are just there to look pretty

vCash
    Our bench wasn't up to the standard of theirs, not by a long shot. The defense was outstanding and to give away so few penalties was amazing.

Our kicking towards the end of the game was aimless and really horrible, and STUPID BLOODY DROPGOALS... GAAAAAH!!!!!

vCash
    I'm not too fond of the Wallabies winning this way either... or anyone for that matter. It just feels like such a cheap shot.

It's just not rugby. I really wish the points received from drop goals could be decreased to one or maybe two.

But I'm proud as punch of the boys. They put up a good fight and there was some incredible defence! Considering we had barely any posession and still managed to keep the scoreline tight was truly inspirational against the boks. To force a penalty or score a try the first four times we entered their 22 was so impressive.

I was worried about our defence before last night but it looks like everything is finally coming together and some form of team cohesion is evident.

Top effort boys... bring on the AB's

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I was so disappointed after last nights loss, but sooo proud of the way we played. Should shut a few people up and send a warning that we are not gonna be easy-beats come RWC...
    One thing i found frustrating, particularily in the first half, was the decision from the wallabies to continuosly kick the ball away rather than establish phase play and keep possession....It took too long for them to take a chance and run the ball, and almost immediately we had results...The second half kicking performance was particularily crap, predominantly from Huxley (who otherwise had a reasonable game)...
    As for our defence, Absolutely first class and hope we keep it up for the rest of the series...
    I too feel that field goals should be worth less points, but dont see changes happening anytime soon...Same as penalty goals...It offers an easy way out for easy points...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Champion
    vCash
    wallabys played awesome. 2 drop goals... well the kid is a super star 45m from touch and kicks it. that is awesome. wallabys were disapline whcih was good but the kicking in general play got scrappy

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    no it isn't .. drop goals should be worth 1 point .. if you want to win by drop goals and not scoring trys then you have a lot of work to do!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Compliment to the Wallatah defence that die bokke needed to go for drop goals outside of the final seconds/minute of the match. 7 minutes out and they had given up hope of scoring a try. That's a massive indication that they couldn't see a way through the defensive line.

Francois is a freak child. Damn, why don't we have players like that? That kid has no fear.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    I agree with the sentiment that drop goals should be reduced in value....but it was an awesome kick!!!

Generally a solid performance....here are my comments:

FRONT ROW: ok, but scrum is still unstable. Dunning only looked interested when he though one of the Saffer front rows had stolen his pies from the bottom of a ruck! Lineout throwing was ordinary in the first half & appalling in the second half....sort it out!!!

SECOND ROW: awesome performance on both the opposition throw & defence. It's frustrating sometimes to see the 2nd row out in the backline but often they're following their man so it's bigman on bigman in defence. Sharpie had a fantastic game.

BACK ROW: did generally well off an unstable scrum and scavanged well in the loose. A solid performance from the group.

HALF-BACK: another Gregan-like performance, getting in the face of the opposition & referee! I only hope he learns to catch the ball when seagulling on the wing before the next match!!!!!

FIVE-EIGHTH: only one word for it.....outstanding. I'd often suspected that Bernie's defence might be a little soft but no longer! He kicked intelligently (apart from 1 that he put a little too much ooomph into) and positional play when covering back was exemplary.

CENTRES: great performance from Giteau...sniping runs, solid hits, scavanging after kicks etc. Didn't see much of Mortlock apart from when he took the kicks.

WINGS: didn't do too much in attack...should they have gone looking for the ball more? Defence was generally solid (Drew: get lower in the tackle and you won't get bounced off!). Thought Drew got the rough end of the stick from the touchie twice in about 30 seconds...it should've been a Wallaby lineout the first time and the second time he kept the ball in play cleverly.

FULL-BACK: apart from one kick & chase when he slapped the ball back, I though Huxley was incredibly ordinary! His kicking was appalling & he looked completely out of his depth. Bring back Cam!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    was a good game i liked it but i hate drop goals. Can a saf team go a game without kicking a drop goal. i got sick of it in super14.

they should be reduced to 1 point, this would be good just for a last minute gamebreaker.

there were alot of positives out of that match, great defence and presure, great attack and they would have gained alot of confidence out of that game.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    Thought Drew got the rough end of the stick from the touchie twice in about 30 seconds...it should've been a Wallaby lineout the first time and the second time he kept the ball in play cleverly.
    !
    no he didnt. if he trys to tap the ball back into play after it crossing the line going out he MUST land INSIDE the field of play.

vCash
    awesome game to watch, the wallabies realy did aussie proud, i was expecting a loss to sa on there recent form (both teams), as for drop goals...

imho drop goal points should be structured on the distance say 1 point inside the 22, 2 points up to the 10 and 3 points from beyond.

go aussie go..

<>

vCash
    hmmm... I think that might end up being a bit too complicated. But a really good idea and one I never would have thought of.

Still... I'd prefer to see all drop goals discouraged by making them 1 point.

I made Happy sad...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast