Thread: ''The Kiwi, the world's Most Paranoid Bird'' - David Attenborough

vCash

''The Kiwi, the world's Most Paranoid Bird'' - David Attenborough

Aussies, Boks turn the tables
    5:00AM Saturday June 16, 2007
    By Steve Deane

Australia and South Africa may be about to pull a fast one on the All Blacks by pulling their top players out of the later rounds of the Tri-Nations.

This would rest key Wallabies and Springboks before the World Cup, and also deny the All Blacks decent opposition during their carefully planned build-up to the cup campaign.

The move would echo New Zealand's withdrawal of 22 All Blacks from the early Super 14 rounds for a programme of "reconditioning".

Waikato coach Warren Gatland said the move could result in the All Blacks being underdone and leave the NZRU questioning the timing of the reconditioning.

"If they are playing only a third-string French team and then Canada, well, my understanding is that the South Africans and the Australians are going to pull their players out of the second round of the Tri-Nations for their own conditioning window," Gatland said.

The All Blacks could arrive at the World Cup having played South Africa and Australia at their strongest only once.

Gatland said some of the All Blacks' top players had missed out on half the Super 14 competition, which was just below the level of international rugby "and a hell of a lot stronger than what the All Blacks are playing at the moment".

Last year's end-of-season Northern Hemisphere tour might have been a better time for the reconditioning, he said.

"I understand the logic of it but, on reflection, was the timing right?"

The former Ireland coach
    , who this week signed a contract extension at Waikato, also said he believed decisions on whether to retain Super 14 coaches had been made before the tournament started.

Gatland said he understood the move even though it had probably blocked his path to next year's Super 14 coaching ranks.

All Blacks coaches Graham Henry, Wayne Smith and Steve Hansen were contracted until only the end of the cup tournament and Super 14 coaches Colin Cooper, Robbie Deans and Ian Foster were also coming off contract, so the NZRU faced losing six top coaches in one hit, he said.

"The downside was that they could have lost six coaches, three at the end of the Super 14 and three at the end of the World Cup.

"In terms of re-signing them, it was probably a bit of damage limitation."

NZ Herald

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Hehe awesome subject chook. Pity you're from the east.

vCash
    When O when will the stigma of being from the East drop from my weary shoulders?

I console myself by knowing that there is always somebody more Eastern than I.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    There there Chook, there there...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    When O when will the stigma of being from the East drop from my weary shoulders?

I console myself by knowing that there is always somebody more Eastern than I.
    It may well take a sharp knife.
    If evidence of the "Eastern" issue is required have a look at the gumbies around our most Eastern point and town

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    and Kiwi is just a chook with "short bird" syndrome .. different chook of course chook

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    I don't get it Chook. You are different!