Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ref warns of Gregan manipulation

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ref warns of Gregan manipulation

Ref warns of Gregan manipulation

By Peter Jenkins
    June 14, 2007

SOUTH Africa's leading referee has stunned the Wallabies by publicly warning the man in charge of the Newlands Test to ignore the "charms" of George Gregan.

Jonathan Kaplan has given an interview to the Cape Argus newspaper where he claims veteran halfback Gregan will attempt to manipulate the decision-making of rookie referee, Wayne Barnes from England, with constant on-field chatter.

"(Gregan has) won plenty of 50-50 calls for his team and he'll have done his homework for Saturday," said Kaplan. "He'll know he's up against a bloke who is new to the international game.

"The Aussies will know that value when it comes to targeting the inexperience of the referee and there is no one better qualified to do it than George."

Former barrister Barnes, 27, was placed on contract by the Rugby Football Union two years ago as their youngest ever fulltime match official.

"From what I've seen of Wayne I am sure he will cope," said Kaplan. "But it will still be an interesting initiation for him."

Kaplan refereed the Wallabies' first Test against Wales in Sydney where the Australians escaped with a try after the siren.

According to the South African, Gregan's second-half appearance off the bench was crucial.

"In my view, George is the best scrum half in Australia," said Kaplan. "He added a dimension when he came on. He gave the Wallabies more continuity and composure. There will be a lot of relieved players and referees when he retires after the World Cup."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey Jonny, next time you're in W.A. come up to my place for a BBQ

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    How Kaplan can claim to be a nuetral referee is beyond me, he is totally SA biased, and as equally anti- Australian. For him to even be making comments in a newspaper should be investigated imho...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    If Gregan were captain then he'd be allowed to influence the referees even more.

I think Jonathan Kaplan is actually complimenting George Gregan for being an experienced halfback and for knowing exactly what he can get away with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    I think Jonathan Kaplan is actually complimenting George Gregan for being an experienced halfback and for knowing exactly what he can get away with.
    Pull the other one !!

Can you ever remember any other referee coming out with a comment like this within a few days of his home country being involved in a major test match? Could it possibly be that Kaplan and before him Andre Watson simply don't like being questioned by some uppity ex-Zambian?

vCash
    Hehehehe......so expected the day before your country plays him, yet so true as well...there's no doubt in my mind that Gregan has influenced a good many referees in his time He's probably also right in saying Gregan's the best scrumhalf in Aus at the moment (except maybe Henners )

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If it is a compliment then it is a backhanded one and IMHO totally inappropriate and mistimed.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    haha .. I'd take it as a compliment .. I mean serious George know's his game and if he points out an infringment then just because the ref blow's the whistle everyone blames Gregan!!

Get out there and do what you do best George - play good rugby, annoy the opposition and niggle the ref's ear!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Why on earth has Kaplan not been sacked yet?!?!

So it's far from ok for players to criticise and question referees but the refs can have a go at the players very publicly?

Keep your mouth shut Kaplan. You're not reffing this match so clear off and keep your nose out of other people's business!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    clear off and keep your nose out of other people's business!

Not your favorite ref then, Jess?

vCash
    I like Jonathan Kaplan

vCash
    You and probably a few other South African supporters, each to thier own, i think he is a tool...

vCash
    Kaplan's an absolute tool.

But he is right about Gregan but which scrum half doesn't try to get into the refs ear?

For that matter what scrum half worth their salt doesn't try to get into everyones ear for the whole game!

Pointing out an error here and there, winding up the opposition forwards, and cajoling the refs...

vCash
    GREGAN WARNS OF REF MANIPULATION!!!

World record cap-holder, Georgie Gregan, yesterday warned Wallabies supporters that Saffer refs have a habit of manipulating matches to the benefit of dodgy Saffer teams, or if no benefit is applicable....to the general detriment of Aussie teams, fans & neutrality in the game they play in heaven, RUGBY!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Well said Jedi, well said indeed...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast