Thread: I'd be upset if I don't get a fullback shot, Shepherd

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

I'd be upset if I don't get a fullback shot, Shepherd

Frustrated Wallabies hopeful Cameron Shepherd pleaded for an 11th-hour World Cup audition at fullback after today being named on Australia A's wing.

Shepherd's fullback hopes look dead and buried after he was selected on the right flank for Saturday's pivotal Pacific Nations Cup clash against the Junior All Blacks.

It is his first big-stage match back from a knee injury which prematurely ended a brilliant Super 14 campaign for the Western Force.

While Shepherd played on the Force's wing, Wallabies coach John Connolly earmarked the skilful goalkicker to take the No.15 jersey from injured fullback Chris Latham.

But a slow recovery from his posterior ligament tear, taking two months rather than one, and Julian Huxley's impressive form as Test custodian against Wales and Fiji has left Shepherd on the outer.

The 23-year-old admitted the situation had stretched his patience and doubts had crept in over World Cup selection.

"I really wanted to put my hand up for the Wallabies No.15 position and I thought I was one of the top candidates to get it so it's really frustrating to have missed out on these first few Test matches," he said.

But he still held hope the Test selectors would give him a late chance to impress at fullback in one of the last three Tr-Nations matches over the next six weeks.

"I'm not really thinking it's passed me by," he said.

"The team is very close to the World Cup and I can understand if John didn't want to go chopping and changing the team too much.

"But after a pretty good year I'd be a little bit upset if I didn't get the opportunity to pull on the No.15 jersey before the World Cup."

Hampering Shepherd, who played 70 minutes in his Sydney club side's weekend loss, has been his inability to accelerate and hit top speed in running.

Also complicating matters is Latham's Brisbane club return from a knee reconstruction on June 23, as well as the hot competition for wing spots with Lote Tuqiri, Drew Mitchell and Digby Ioane leading a tight race.

Connolly has indicated he'll take two fullbacks and three wingers to France for the World Cup, with the 30-man squad to be selected on July 25.

Fellow Force flyer Ioane has also been named on the wing for Australia A, which has been bolstered by seven Wallabies for the tournament-deciding game at Carisbrook.

The unbeaten A team includes Sam Norton-Knight, David Lyons, Hugh McMeniman and James Horwill, all released from the Test squad last weekend, while prop Rodney Blake will return from from ankle surgery.

Norton-Knight's selection at five-eighth comes at the expense of Berrick Barnes who was impressive in wins over Samoa and Tonga.

Queensland goalkicker Clinton Schifcofske was ruled out due to a calf strain, allowing NSW whiz-kid Lachlan Turner to return from a chest injury.

The Junior All Blacks will name their team tomorrow but have been strengthened by the inclusions of back-rower Sione Lauaki, hooker Corey Flynn and centre Ma'a Nonu.

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ne...414371441.html
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007
    AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I'd me upset too mate!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Don't worry Cam, Huxley will be shown up as the dead weight he is, he's nearly as bad as Gerrard. You will be back in the main team in no time.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    too true chooky!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    It would be another magnificent injustice if he is not selected after the year he had...But it is Connolleys team so anything's possible, who would have thought Dunning and Baxter would play for the Wallabies again???

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I hope he will get the chance to play fullback (or back-up for Latham or whatever) but personally i would just be happy to get in the team, no matter where i play

vCash
    With the greatest respect to Latham (a mighty fine player), hasn't Connolly's mantra been that he picks on form (allegedly) so unless Latham plays in the Tri-Nations and all the other 'warm-up' Tests then it's a tough call to bring him straight back into the Wallabies squad without any proof that he's back to that level.

Cam definitely deserves to be there!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Last report I saw was that Latho was moving again and was on track for the second Round of 3N's.
    Shep will have a small window to prove his claim.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    With the greatest respect to Latham (a mighty fine player), hasn't Connolly's mantra been that he picks on form (allegedly) so unless Latham plays in the Tri-Nations and all the other 'warm-up' Tests then it's a tough call to bring him straight back into the Wallabies squad without any proof that he's back to that level.

Cam definitely deserves to be there!
    There is picking on form and there's picking on form. A player of Latham's calibre, assuming his injury hasn't massively crippled his game, is an automatic selection. You cannot blame Connolly for writing him straight back in. You can blame him for a lot of other things though. In fact I propose we try him as a war criminal, any takers?

vCash
    Alright james, i will support your call for a war crimes indictment....Perhaps a public flogging if we don't bring back Bill...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....