Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home soil dream for Staniforth

vCash

Home soil dream for Staniforth

Home soil dream for Staniforth
    Bret Harris
    June 05, 2007

WALLABIES utility back Scott Staniforth is poised to fulfil his long-held ambition to play a Test on Australian soil, against Fiji in Perth on Saturday, in his preferred inside centre position.
    Staniforth has earned six caps since making his Test debut against the United States in the 1999 World Cup match in Limerick, Ireland, but they have all been played overseas.

Staniforth, who was on the reserves bench for the Wallabies' 29-23 win against Wales in Sydney two weeks ago, was not in the 22-man squad for Australia's 31-0 win against Wales in Brisbane last Saturday.

But Staniforth will finally play a Test at home in Perth, where he has played with Western Force in the Super 14 for the past two years.

"I'm hoping to get a run on Saturday," Staniforth said yesterday. "I still haven't played a Test in Australia.

"I didn't get on in the first (Test) against Wales in Sydney. When you've only got two backs on the bench you can't throw them both out too early.

"I wasn't in the 22 for the second Test. I mustn't have warmed up too well.

"A few blokes got an opportunity last weekend. With our squad mentality everyone will get a run this weekend.

"It will be great if I do get an opportunity. I'll put mum and dad on a flight (from Sydney)."

Coach John Connolly has all but ended the experiment of playing Matt Giteau at halfback following veteran George Gregan's strong performance off the bench in the second half against Wales.

The Wallabies will revert to the old firm of Gregan, five-eighth Stephen Larkham, Giteau and outside centre Stirling Mortlock for the Tri-Nations Test against South Africa in Cape Town on Saturday week. But the Wallabies still need to find out who are the best back-ups at five-eighth and inside centre.

With Giteau and Mortlock set to be rested against Fiji, Staniforth and Adam Ashley-Cooper are expected to form a new midfield combination.

Ashley-Cooper played inside centre in the two Tests against Wales, but appears better suited to being a ball-running outside back. Staniforth, who played inside centre in the Wallabies' win against Scotland in the last Test of their European tour in November, will be given an opportunity to remind the selectors he is an option for the No.12 jersey.

"I'm not sure where I'm playing yet," Staniforth said. "I've trained a lot at 12 and a bit on the wing as well.

"With Gits (Giteau) resting this weekend, if I'm not playing 12, I'll be covering 12.

"I enjoy playing both positions, but on the wing sometimes you get limited opportunities whereas at 12 you are always in the game."

Lote Tuqiri will return to the Wallabies to play against the country of his birth after missing the Welsh series to concentrate on speed training.

Tuqiri is expected to replace right winger Digby Ioane and form a back three with fullback Julian Huxley and left winger Drew Mitchell.

Larkham, who missed the first Welsh Test with a hamstring strain, is likely to start against Fiji with Sam Norton-Knight recalled to the squad as his back-up.

It would not surprise to see forwards Nathan Sharpe and Rocky Elsom rested from the Fijian Test.

In the forwards, prop Al Baxter, second-rower James Horwill, number eight David Lyons and blindside flanker Hugh McMeniman, if fit, are set to come into the 22-man squad.

Tuqiri is determined to cut loose in his Wallabies return.

Still to sign his multi-million-dollar contract, Tuqiri yesterday said he couldn't wait for his first Test of the year, nor his return to team training today.

"Let me out of the cage," Tuqiri said. "I'm just keen to get back into footy, get my hands on the footy again and training together with the boys.

"I hope I can start my Test campaign with a few meat pies come Saturday."

Additional reporting: AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Woohoo! About ****ing time!

Big cheers for the Force boys on Saturday night, and one for Buatava too I reckon

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    What fantastic news - hopefully he secures that position - he so deserves it

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by main game
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Staniforth
    "It will be great if I do get an opportunity. I'll put mum and dad on a flight (from Sydney)."
    WOnder if we should book them in for a pre-game feed in the Award Winning "Nude Kitchen" at ?

Rookie
    vCash
    Scott's old man will drink Perth dry.. there is bugger all grog left in his home town of West Wyalong. He's also got his wheat crop in before the end of May for the first time in a decade..yeh I'd say you boys had better get yourselves prepared. Even the night Scott had that "shocker" on the bench in Sydney, the old man (Pete is the name) and the missus didn't get to bed until 5.30 am Sunday morning! Imagine if Scott gets a game! Coach, you will need to show some of your outstanding leadership skills to get your troops through this.
    Seriously though they are wonderful people (after all they did bring Scott up)
    so if they do arrive look after them - you will enjoy.

vCash
    "We shall drink on to the end, we shall drink in France, we shall drink on the seas and oceans, we shall drink with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our land, whatever the cost may be, we shall drink on the beaches, we shall drink on the ground, we shall drink in the fields and in the streets, we shall drink in the hills; we shall never sober...."

I'm sure the Sarge and his troops are up to the task If Pete doesn't think he can cope with the shirts, get him to give us a call

Rookie
    vCash
    Maybe you met him in Bathurst last year?

vCash
    My missus is from West Wyalong, i think her sister went to school with him...(scott that is)...She always reminds me about it every time he makes an appearance...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I didn't have the required leave passes to make Bathurst last year, but I believe "Exile" and "Sagerian" had the pleasure of meeting the Staniforth's at the APC match there though...

Rookie
    vCash
    So " Front Row" the Missus maiden name would be?
    Sorry Coach I thought you had made the journey to the Petrol Head capital.
    Actually I'm sure the boys will verify it was not much of a game and even the great Spanner would agree it was not his greatest 80 mins. But Perth on sat night might be different even if Connolly thinks he can't play at 12. We know he can.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    The biggest problem here Allsaints.......is that we know Spanner can play 12, Henjak 9, Tai at 2..etc, etc., but other people think differently.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Had a quick word with him at the open day - seemed excited by the prospect we'ill all find out tomorrow

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    i hope he gets 12 and he can show how much better he is then ashley cooper.

Rookie
    vCash
    Totally agree

vCash
    I hope he gets 12 for the first half and Askley Cooper for the second. That'll put all speculation to bed when Spanner puts on a clinic in the hardest moments of the match followed by ashley-cooper barely struggling to contain the fijiian backline

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast