Thread: Turner firms as Wallabies bolter

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Turner firms as Wallabies bolter

Turner firms as Wallabies bolter

Rupert Guinness
    Monday, May 28, 2007

Wing sensation Lachlan Turner has more than sheer speed to warrant his selection for the Wallabies World Cup squad. He also has the required strength of mind.

That's the view of Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie, who has not forgotten the maturity shown by Turner during NSW's tour of South Africa, where he was credited for his contribution to the team's win against the Lions despite not being in the 22-man squad.

"He was outstanding in that fringe capacity," said McKenzie, who didn't select Turner to play until round seven against the Stormers in Sydney. "I can never recall a game where in part of the game review you acknowledge the performance of people who didn't participate in the game. All the little things he and [uncapped centre] Tom Carter did - they were so committed, even as non-22 squad members.

"Lachie's demeanour and efforts [were impressive]. He had never been in that role, but he found ways to help the team even though he wasn't playing. At a World Cup that is what you want: 30 guys very focused, not 22 focused while the others [are] distracted."

But as McKenzie knows very well, Turner has the game to back up the mature attitude.

He showed that on Friday night with a hat-trick of tries against Tonga for Australia A in their Pacific Nations Cup opener at Aussie Stadium.

The performance confirmed to McKenzie that Turner can push for World Cup selection. "If he keeps being consistent I can't see how he wouldn't be in the serious-discussion department for the World Cup," he said. "If he keeps playing that way, it's up to the people ahead of him to play well. Otherwise, inevitably, you are going to give the guy a go."

If Turner is given that "go", McKenzie believes what may be seen as a risk could become a masterstroke.

Turner made a quick and handsome return from his big break in Super 14 against the Stormers. He played all remaining seven games in the regular season and bagged three tries along the way.

One of those was a sensational five-pointer in which he outpaced All Blacks Rico Gear and Leon Macdonald in the round-nine game against the Crusaders that was lost by the Waratahs by only one point.

"He was a bit of an unknown quantity then. But we gave him a go and he paid us back big time - and not just once but many times," McKenzie said.

"We don't really know quite where he is up to at this level [Australian representation]. But he appears to have got off to a good start.

"[Australia A] are pretty much mimicking the Wallaby program and game style. So I don't know if it will be too difficult for him to transition up."

Crucial to that transition would be adjusting to the speed of Test rugby. But McKenzie has no doubts about Turner's ability to adapt. "As the game gets faster you might find yourself out of position a couple of metres here and there," he said. "But you only have to talk to him once and he adapts. He also seems to have this ability to be at the right place at the right time, and to anticipate, pop up and be close enough to the ball.

"He is also obviously very quick. It doesn't matter who is chasing, he seems to have more in reserve."

Australia A play Samoa at Coffs Harbor on Saturday, then Japan in Townsville the following week. The big test for Turner will be against the Junior All Blacks in Dunedin on June 16. The Kiwi side is junior in name only. The team boasts many former and fringe New Zealand internationals, making them, according to Turner, "possibly the second-best team in the world".

"That is going to be the biggest test I have ever had," he said, not forgetting that since his Super 14 debut each game played has been just that. "There isn't a game I have played this season where I have played against someone I have before."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    YAY! This can only be a good thing as the more Waratahs that are in the Wallabies the better the team is.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Chook, stop smokin the gunga bro...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    We should all listen to Ewen. He did a fantastic job this year........

vCash
    I'm glad you agree with me.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    We should all listen to Ewen. He did a fantastic job this year........

so good in fact,he should coach the Reds as well

& while he's at it ---the Wallabies also

vCash
    Phew! I thought they had run out of Tahs for a moment, but all is good.

vCash
    He has a lot of talent, I know!

Gigsa made me do it