Thread: Lote lands $10,000 phone bill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Lote lands $10,000 phone bill

O'Connor gets rapped over the knuckles for tearing a player apart on a phone call to an outside Australian Squad Member (ie, not even in the leadership group) on the Sunday after the last match of the season, where there would be obvious bar noise in the background.
    Tuqiri gets $10k for letting the target hear the conversation.
    Yet again the ARU get things arse about.
    O'Connor should have been at least fined, if not lost his job, for being so unprofessional.
    What right did he have to be even answering Tuqiri's question on Hewat?!
    There is no great surprise that he and others are trying to cover up the whole affair by not commenting and "has been incredibly remorseful about the whole episode", they are on such a good wicket they don't want to jeopradise their positions.
    If O'Connor has any integrity left he should at least offer his resignation.

Lote lands $10,000 phone bill

By Phil Rrothfield and David Riccio
    May 20, 2007

LOTE Tuqiri is facing a $10,000 fine and Australian rugby union selector Michael O'Connor has been censured by the ARU in the aftermath of the Peter Hewat phone call scandal.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Tuqiri fronted an ARU disciplinary committee at a secret meeting on Friday.

ARU management regards Tuqiri's phone call to O'Connor during an end-of-season bonding session as a serious breach of the players' code of conduct and are expected to hand down a substantial fine within the next few days.

ARU sources have revealed board members are so outraged about Tuqiri's behaviour that the fine will be in the range of $10,000.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed last weekend that during a Waratahs drinking session Tuqiri phoned O'Connor and broadcast remarks about Hewat over speaker phone.

Hewatt stormed out of the hotel where the players were drinking and immediately stepped up his request for a release from Australian rugby, while Tuqiri apologised for his actions this week.

ARU chairman Peter McGrath revealed details of the disciplinary hearing yesterday from Dublin, where he is attending a meeting.

"Both Michael and Lote have done the wrong thing," McGrath said. "Michael has been incredibly remorseful about the whole episode.

An embarrassed O'Connor tried desperately to downplay the latest developments when contacted yesterday.

"I'd rather not make any comment," O'Connor said.

"It's become a real saga and I just don't want to throw any fuel on it. The bottom line is it was a conversation that I had with Lote and obviously I didn't think anybody else was privy to it. I'd just like to leave it at that. It's happened, I regret that it's happened and I just want to move on."

McGrath defended the ARU's delay in taking action over the incident that occurred 14 days ago.

It's understood the passing of McGrath's mother was a significant cause for the delay.

"It's also been difficult because we don't have a CEO at the moment," McGrath said. "But senior management passed it on to the ARU disciplinary committee and he (Tuqiri) faced that committee on Friday. They will pass on a recommendation on what they regard as appropriate action."

Tuqiri failed to acknowledge calls made by The Sunday Telegraph yesterday.

The prospect of a heavy fine would continue a far from memorable year for the dual international.

Sent home from a World Cup training camp after failing a fitness test in January, Tuqiri then admitted that six months of contract negotiations had affected his Super 14 form for the Waratahs.

After scoring his first try in 12 months in the final round of the Super 14 season against the Hurricanes, Tuqiri was this week overlooked for the Wallabies' two Tests against Wales.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    *shakes head*

This will go down in history as a very very sad time in Aussie Pro rugby history...

Not impressed ARU. Not impressed at all!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Hmmmmm

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    When the two Jessica's aren't happy, you know it can't be good.

Tuqiri, well he's dopey but what can you expect from a footballer, and Mick O'Connor, should fall on his sword for this indiscretion. Maybe O'Connor was at an ARU 'drinking session' ( they make going to a piss-up sound so formal!) on the other end of the line from Lote.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Right, anyone sensing double standards here? Sure Tuqiri shouldnt have had the phone on speaker (or arguably the conversation) but he didnt force the words out of O'Connor's mouth now did he?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    O'Connor pays for Tuqiri's call

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent
    Monday, May 21, 2007

LOTE Tuqiri has escaped a fine, but Michael O'Connor will not be allowed to take part in team discussions involving Peter Hewat in the aftermath of the Wallabies dial-a-selector affair.

Last week, the Wallabies winger upset team management when it was revealed he had a telephone conversation with Test selector O'Connor with the loudspeaker on. NSW teammate Peter Hewat overheard an unsuspecting O'Connor being highly critical of his playing skills. Shortly after, Hewat was excluded from the original 59-man Wallabies training squad.

After Australian Rugby Union chairman Peter McGrath called for a review of the incident, a meeting of the Wallabies team disciplinary committee in Sydney yesterday decided there was no reason for action to be taken against Tuqiri.

The committee, which was appointed as late as Saturday night, comprised Wallabies coach John Connolly, team manager Phil Thomson and players Dan Vickerman and Scott Staniforth.

The Wallabies yesterday stressed Tuqiri would miss the first two Tests against Wales because he was being "rested" and not for disciplinary reasons. Tuqiri last night confirmed he was told by Wallabies selectors more than a month ago he was likely to miss the opening Tests, but would return to play Fiji and South Africa next month.

However, O'Connor's role as a selector has been squeezed. ARU high-performance manager Pat Wilson said O'Connor would have to withdraw from any selection meeting when Hewat was being discussed. Hewat yesterday was surprisingly named in the 25-man Australia A squad to play in the Pacific Nations Cup.

"That is not a team disciplinary issue," Wilson said when referring to O'Connor. "It is a management issue. Michael is a highly credible individual, and has contributed significantly to Australian rugby. Michael has a number of conversations with players across a number of issues. But it's standard policy that selectors don't talk to any player about another player. Michael knows that. We've reminded Michael again, as we did Lote, the standards of behaviour and the expectations under the policy. Michael will not be involved in future discussions on Peter Hewat at the selection table."

Connolly said the Wallabies management originally spoke to Tuqiri about the issue last Monday. "We told him how unhappy we were, and we decided then that was the end of the issue," Connolly said. "Later in the week the ARU chairman wanted a review of it, and we couldn't immediately do that because we did not have a team disciplinary committee in place as we had just come into camp.

"That committee was appointed on Saturday, and it met today, supporting the original decision. We originally thought it was a minor issue and our view hasn't changed. Still, everyone realises it was a silly thing to do."

Tuqiri, involved in a Wallabies fan day at Manly Oval yesterday, said as far as he and the team were concerned, the issue was over.

"It's been dealt with. I'm now just going to get on with footy. It's all over red rover from this end," Tuqiri said.

Asked if he had been encouraged by Hewat to contact O'Connor, Tuqiri said: "I don't really want to say anything about that. Enough has been said about it.

"People who were there know what happened."

However, he is dejected that he has been criticised for allegedly losing his pace and ability to score tries.

"I got told five or six weeks ago that I was going to be reconditioned, and as a winger you need to work on your speed," Tuqiri said. "But it does get disheartening to hear that people don't think you're quick enough. But I know what I possess, and I can only work on that."

Hewat, meanwhile, will share the Australia A fullback spot with Clinton Schifcofske in the opening Pacific Cup matches. And even Connolly has softened his view on Hewat, yesterday saying he could come into Test calculations.

"We have an issue at fullback, and if he [Hewat] tips the world upside down, well, you never know," Connolly said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well now that was a bit of a backflip...

I made Happy sad...

Rookie
    vCash
    Show O'Conner the door, bring back Horan... Sorted.

This is my signature.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Not exactly tough management is it? Poor discipline on or off of the field should be suitably punished if not then you face the possibility of destabilising the whole team.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    What a joke.

And to appoint Hewat for Australia A is some back peddle.

The sooner Mr O'Meara gets over there as CEO the better. He'll sort them out real quick.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    What a joke.

And to appoint Hewat for Australia A is some back peddle.

The sooner Mr O'Meara gets over there as CEO the better. He'll sort them out real quick.

Surely we don't want O'Meara over there, we should be keeping him.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I would say he only has one box left to tick over here TEF which is the Rectangular Stadium box, he's already, established the franchise, long tern QUALITY sponsors, long term QUALITY coach/es, most QUALITY players have re signed for future years, 14th to 7th in second year.

If he had not achieved all of this to date I would expect him to stay, but I would say he would be content with what he has achieved, as would his employers (RugbyWA), so they would ba happy if he left on these terms.

Bearing in mind, everything he has achieved with The Force he would be required to do on a national level.....who else is better qualified? After all Peter is from the "East Coast Boys Club" and will fit in just fine, not to mention always having the Force in mind.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Probably can't waitto get back o'er East where all the action happens.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    By "action" I assume you mean corruption and back room deals?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Well, that's the fun bit. Sticking to the rules is boring.

Gigsa made me do it