Thread: Pickett too hungover to play

vCash

Talking Pickett too hungover to play

HAHAHAHA this made me laugh, i couldnt even imagine doing this to my club coach, let alone as an elite player to a coach. What an idiot!!! What's with all the AFL misbehaviour atm? Sheesh.....

Pickett too hungover to play
    By Greg Denham

May 16, 2007 BYRON Pickett sent another shockwave through the AFL yesterday after it emerged he sent a text message to Melbourne coach Neale Daniher admitting he was too hungover to play against Western Bulldogs.

Pickett, who won the Norm Smith medal at Port Adelaide in 2004, was in the Demons squad as an emergency last Sunday before telling his coach he was unfit to play after a night out.

The 29 year old has a long list of alcohol-related incidents, at three clubs.

However, the without-a-win Demons yesterday declared they were still interested in retaining the off-the-rails star.

Melbourne fined Pickett $5000 and suspended him from playing for at least a month at the elite level.

The Demons became aware of a problem when Pickett sent a text message to coach Neale Daniher on Saturday night, on the eve of Melbourne's round-seven match against the Bulldogs at Telstra Dome.

Pickett was named as an emergency and it is understood the message to his coach said he was not in a fit state to be in the squad of 25, and requested he be withdrawn.

Daniher had to activate his emergency list and recalled Ben Holland on Sunday after the late withdrawal of an injured Jared Rivers.

The Demons yesterday released a statement that said Pickett had been suspended for Sunday's match against West Coast, and had to play at least four games with Sandringham before being considered for senior selection.

There was no mention of a fine in the statement, which also said the club had requested Pickett consider his future after he failed to attend last Sunday's game.

In part, the statement read: "Not only did Byron not attend the game where he was selected as an emergency, but he has also admitted to drinking alcohol the night before the match.

"The football department, in consultation with the senior leadership group, have requested Byron to consider his future during this week.

"If Byron decides to continue his future with Melbourne, he will be required to play with Sandringham for at least four weeks, and will not be considered for AFL selection in that time period.

"Byron fully understands and accepts this disciplinary action."

The Demons' onfield leadership group of David Neitz, Brock McLean, James McDonald, Cameron Bruce and Brad Green met on Monday before Pickett was told of his fate by the club.

Melbourne chairman Paul Gardner said yesterday he hoped Pickett could resurrect his career with the Demons.

"Everyone wants a fit and dedicated Byron Pickett running around in the red and blue," Gardner said.

"But this action was taken because we've always prided ourselves on a strong culture of not dudding your teammates."

Pickett is contracted until the end of this season, after he was traded to the Demons, his third AFL club, at the end of 2005 on a two-year deal.

Pickett has had a horror start to 2007, first restricted by an ongoing hamstring problem in the pre-season, and then by an illness to his mother.

Melbourne rushed him back into the senior team in round four because of its long injury list, but in the knowledge that his fitness levels were below peak condition. In three games this season Pickett managed a poor return of 20 possessions and was omitted last weekend.

Controversy has been close at hand since Pickett started his career in 1997 with the Kangaroos for which he played 120 games including the 1999 Premiership.

He played another 55 games for Port between 2003 and 2005 and won the Norm Smith medal in Power's 2004 premiership.

Pickett was the AFL rising star in 1998 and won All-Australian selection the next season.

While at Port Adelaide, he was charged with drink-driving after his car ploughed through a brick wall in a suburban front yard in Port Augusta, about 300km north of Adelaide.

In 1999, when at Arden Street, Pickett survived a high-speed crash in Melbourne.

Melbourne's swift disciplinary action is the fourth by an AFL club in the wake of the Eagles' player problems this season and a proposed league crackdown over players' off-field misdemeanours.

Fremantle fined and suspended Jeff Farmer for six matches for his assault at a Perth nightclub.

Richmond imposed an internal suspension, including a three-match ban, on Ray Hall after an altercation in a pub.

Last week Collingwood also suspended three players - Leon Davis, Chris Egan and Shannon Cox - for one match for breaking club rules in Adelaide.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23211,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    tat tat *shakes head*

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    At least he rang in. When my players get rat faced the night before they just don't show up. Eh, Arty?

vCash
    haha idiot. i hope him and other afl players have learned a lesson and have realised how bad it can get.

its a bit wierd having your coaches mobile number. or it might just be me because my coaches are more then 30 years older then me.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder if Dalton Gooding will have a crack back at Paul Gardner....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I have always thought that Footy (AFL) had a problem with 2 words...
    Professional - taking money for something may make you a Pro, yet not always a professional.
    Athlete - an athletes only 'tool of trade' is their body, anyone who constantly abuses their body cannot, by definition, be considered an athlete.

Taking money for playing sport does not lift you to 'elite level' either.

Part of the AFL issue is that (imho) they are trying too hard to keep too many teams in the league without sufficient resources (quality players). If you continue to draw ten teams from one state you have to take some from the bottom of the barrel.

vCash
    the two words are easy Not Rugby.
    Here endeth the lesson