Adam eyes overseas but Brumbies optimistic
Sam Worthington - The Canberra Times

ACT Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan is "supremely confident" that rising Wallabies star Adam Ashley-Cooper will commit to Australian rugby.

Ashley-Cooper was a standout Brumbies back this season and Wallabies coach John Connolly has rewarded the 23-year-old with a start at inside-centre against Wales at Telstra Stadium tomorrow night.

Ashley-Cooper is off contract at the end of the season and this week expressed a strong interest in pursuing lucrative overseas offers.

"I'm keeping all my options open," Ashley-Cooper said.

"I want to hold off as long as I can.

"There's not much money in Australian rugby at the moment and overseas is certainly very appealing."

Despite having played just one Test to date, Ashley-Cooper hinted at following the lead of All Blacks Carl Hayman, Aaron Mauger and Chris Jack in signing a deal with cashed up European clubs after this year's World Cup before potentially returning for the 2011 edition.

"At a young age you can go over there, earn a good amount of cash for one or two years, then still have the capability of coming back to Australia to play Super 14 and contend for the next World Cup - with your pockets full," he said.

"You do have to think about where you're going to be after your career because this doesn't last forever. You've got a shelf life of 10 years if you're lucky.

"On the other side of that, I'm really enjoying my rugby at the Brumbies and I think I have progressed a lot since I started there as a professional player.

"Obviously I would also love to get more Tests under my belt for my country."

Fagan said despite the talk, he expected Ashley-Cooper to remain in Brumbies colours next year.

The Brumbies have agreed to terms with Ashley-Cooper and are awaiting the ARU to provide a satisfactory top-up offer.

"I think this other talk and discussion is really part of the negotiation process and a player of Adam's talent and ability, particularly as he's displayed and demonstrated this year, will command interest from overseas," Fagan said.

"Obviously all players weigh that up and that would be part of the discussions with the ARU with regards to the top-up amount.

"But I'm supremely confident that Adam - he's a young guy, he's starting for the Wallabies and I think he fully intends to stay within Australian rugby for many years - and this is just part of that process."