Thread: Brumbies lock in Chapman until 2009

vCash

Brumbies lock in Chapman until 2009

CA Brumbies lock in Chapman until 2009
    Monday, May 14, 2007
    Brumbies Media Unit

Australia A lock/back-rower Mitchell Chapman has signed a two-year contract with the CA Brumbies and the Australian Rugby Union (ARU).

The 24 year old started in each Super 14 match for the Queensland Reds this season and was a member of last year’s Wallaby Spring Tour.

Chapman says he’s excited about joining the CA Brumbies.

“The Brumbies have a great record of getting the best out of their players,” he said. “It’s proven to be a virtual Wallaby factory and it’s a great opportunity to see how far I can develop my game in the Brumbies program and hopefully push for higher representative honours.

“They [the Brumbies] play a very appealing brand of football and I’m looking forward to playing alongside the likes of Mark Chisholm, Al Campbell, Jone Tawake and Stephen Hoiles and contributing to the ongoing success of the Brumbies.”

Chapman was selected for the initial 59-man Wallaby train-on squad last week before he was forced to withdraw due to a shoulder injury. The 197-centimetre forward is expected to undergo surgery to be ready for the beginning of the 2008 Investec Super 14 season.

CA Brumbies head coach Laurie Fisher, who coached Chapman at Australian Under 21 level in 2003 and 2004, says he will be a prized addition to the CA Brumbies for 2008.

“He’s a versatile player who can play six, eight and lock but I think the key is that he’s a player who has improved every year,” he said. “From when I first had contact with him in Under 21’s, he’s made great strides as a footballer. His lineout is excellent; he has a high work rate and an excellent range of skills, and he’s become a very professional player.”

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says he’s pleased to have Chapman with the CA Brumbies for the next two seasons.

“Mitch is a big, strong player who we’re confident will make a significant contribution to the Brumbies,” he said. “He’s been a consistent performer throughout his professional career and is a player who’s shown great maturity and leadership potential at junior, Super 14 and Australia A level. He’s very handy around the field and a go-to man in the lineout, and we’re very excited about having him with the Brumbies until 2009.”

ARU General Manager, Rugby, Pat Wilson says Chapman is a valuable prospect for Australian rugby.

“It’s great that Mitchell has decided to stay with Australian rugby,” he said. “He’s shown he’s a player with tremendous potential through 2005 and 2006, and through his performances with the Reds in 2007. We look forward to him continuing to contribute to the strength of Australian rugby.”

Mitchell Chapman
    Position: Lock/back row
    Physical: 1.97m/110kg
    Born: 15.03.83, Sydney, NSW
    Club: University
    Super 14 Caps: 28
    Super 14 Points: 10 [2t]
    Super 14 Debut: 2005 v Crusaders, Nelson

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sadly I think he is a bigger loss for the Reds than a gain for the Brumbies.
    I really can't see him even making the bench in a fully fit Forwards Squad.
    On the other hand, if he does get in ahead of Wal then maybe he might start looking back home across the Nullabor......

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That's probably true, but the Brumbies have this uncanny knack picking up very good locks/flankers and turning them into even better players. A lot have stayed for a few years then gone on elsewhere like Harrison and Vickerman (Heenan to some extent too), while others have stayed (Chisolm).
    I think Chapman will struggle to push for a starting spot, possibly even a bench spot when Chisolm, Campbell, Salvi, Tawake and Wallace-Harrison are all fit.

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Sadly I think he is a bigger loss for the Reds than a gain for the Brumbies.
    I really can't see him even making the bench in a fully fit Forwards Squad.
    On the other hand, if he does get in ahead of Wal then maybe he might start looking back home across the Nullabor......
    I think he is a good pick up for the Brumbies and will make his mark there. Sad that he didn't hold his nerve at the Reds like the rest of their young forward pack.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    With a mind to not wanting to start another spat tic, I wasn't talking him down.
    What I meant was that with Wallabies Squad Members Mark Chisholm (27), Al Campbell (29) & Adam Wallace-Harrison (29) and the future star Richard Stanford (22) already established at the Brumbies I think he is a far more valuable asset to the Reds than the Brumbies.
    At the Reds he would have been almost guaranteed of weekly match time, if not starting, where as in Canberra he may not even make the field all season without a couple of injuries to others.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.