Queensland Reds prop Anthony Mathison retires

May 10, 2007 - 4:53pm
Story by: QRU

Queensland Reds prop Anthony Mathison has announced his retirement from all rugby after playing 31 games for Queensland.

A painful worn joint in his back which flares up whenever he packs into a scrum persuaded the 26-year old to call it quits, following a discussion with Reds medical staff.

“If I was a back rower or a back it would not be an issue, but when I pack into the front row the pressure produces an intense pain that actually takes my breath away and it’s a few minutes before I can breathe properly again,” Mathison said.

Mathison had bone fusion surgery on his neck in 2006 which has healed well. His problem injury is further down the spine and can’t be fixed with surgery.

Mathison made his Queensland debut in 2002 against the Crusaders and has represented Australia at A level, Under 21, Under 19 and Schools.

He was Reds Rookie of the Year in 2004 and rates the upset 23-7 victory over the Waratahs at Suncorp Stadium that year as the highlight of his career.

“That and being lucky enough to play with some of the Queensland greats, hundred gamers like Latho, Tuney, Crofty and Hardy (Chris Latham, Ben Tune, David Croft and Sean Hardman).”

Mathison will now return to University with the plan of eventually becoming a secondary school teacher.