Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Team Names

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006
    I prefer my spirit with ice - luke warm isn't the best

I dunno,..... bourbon is still OK when It's lost it's chill, just like Guinness is

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    At the time shasta I was leaning towards The Western Suns with a theme using the 12th Lighthorse and a logo design resembling the rising sun of the Australian Army.
    If you are bored enough I can post the whole "essay" on my naming process.

However, I'm not saying it had to be that, the point is we have no real entity to lock onto (unless you are a Trekkie or Star Wars nerd) for supporter interaction, it is a "nothing" name.

The trouble with Australia is that our heritage icons make really crappy sporting names!
    Ringers, Jackeroo's, Stockmen, Diggers, Prospector's, Explorers, Dingos, Stumpjump Ploughs, Utes, Hills Hoists...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    should have used "The Sand Gropers"

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Is this another cheerleaders reference Happy?
    Or did my mind just wander when I saw the word Grope?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    1. If you are bored enough I can post the whole "essay" on my naming process.

2. The trouble with Australia is that our heritage icons make really crappy sporting names!
    Ringers, Jackeroo's, Stockmen, Diggers, Prospector's, Explorers, Dingos, Stumpjump Ploughs, Utes, Hills Hoists...
    1. Errrr....No.

2. That was the problem. Personally I thought WAsps woulda been OK, (not Bumble Bees, we don't have any -though the colours would have still worked ) but probably not original enough.

I mainly wanted to see the black and gold as home colours. The Blue looks ok but I still think it shouda been the away strip. Maybe some merchandise guru thought too many would have substituted Wallaby jerseys in the "sea of gold"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    1. Errrr....No.
    Aww come on, you know you want to...

Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    2. That was the problem. Personally I thought WAsps woulda been OK, (not Bumble Bees, we don't have any -though the colours would have still worked ) but probably not original enough.

I mainly wanted to see the black and gold as home colours. The Blue looks ok but I still think it shouda been the away strip. Maybe some merchandise guru thought too many would have substituted Wallaby jerseys in the "sea of gold"
    Agree with you on the use of colours, half the time we have to use the Blues away anyway
    One concession I will make, the blue is pretty darn effective in standing out and making the "Sea of Blue".....even that is a fairy name

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    all the names are good the australian ones are mostly original. so are nz. all the south african team names are crap accept for stormers i like that.

there is probobly not another profesinal sports team in the world called force,brumbies or waratahs thats why there original and i like them

i think the force is a great name its a perfect fit.

yea i would have prefered the gold and black imagine a sea of gold!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    As for flowers, the only acceptable flower for an Australian man to wear on his chest is a poppy or wedding rose, the rest are for nancy boys...

Mark Holden, please stand up

vCash
    For those playing along at home.........I DID SOME RESEARCH!!

CRUSADERS = chosen to reflect the crusading nature of Canterbury rugby and because Christchurch was set up by English migrants and disputedly looks very muich like an English city. Also, the reason for the red and black.

HIGHLANDERS = The Highlanders take their name from the fact that Otago, North Otago, and Southland were founded by Scottish emigrants. Also, the name "Highlander" was seen to conjure up images of loyalty, strength, honesty and hard work.

BRUMBIES = Wild horses that inhabit Canberra's hinterland..DUH!

HURRICANES = Wellington city nickname is "windy Wellington", in reference to the heavy and powerful winds experienced. It is also used in the belief that the team will "blow away" opponents

FORCE = chosen to reflect power and solidity. RugbyWA said the name, "represents the natural elements that have shaped Western Australia — the waves, the heat and the wind — and the resources that have underpinned its economic strength."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkizaWWE
    For those playing along at home.........I DID SOME RESEARCH!!
    HIGHLANDERS = The Highlanders take their name from the fact that Otago, North Otago, and Southland were founded by Scottish emigrants. Also, the name "Highlander" was seen to conjure up images of loyalty, strength, honesty and hard work.
    Can't argue with that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkizaWWE
    FORCE = chosen to reflect power and solidity. RugbyWA said the name, "represents the natural elements that have shaped Western Australia — the waves, the heat and the wind — and the resources that have underpinned its economic strength."
    I guess when you get a new team created in the 21st century, you're going to get some marketing-speak around the name choice/launch... however I have to admit I do like the name DESPITE that! Go the !

And I like the ocean blue strip purely for girly reasons - yellow does nothing for me, it makes me look ill

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Is this another cheerleaders reference Happy?
    Or did my mind just wander when I saw the word Grope?
    hahahaa

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Opinions always accepted - I did however state it was a bit of fun.........but some want to take it seriously. Traditionally in sport the name was to signify the awe or menace and the power or speed.

I didn't question anyones passion or "our" swan/rugby ball ..............but their you have it!
    Sorry, having re-read I did seem a bit staunch in my team defense. No offence meant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Whats wrong with flowers? Have you never tangled with a wild hydrangea?
    one word Bougainvillea, most viscious, nasty flower on the planet, easily the equal of a cheetah!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The name Western Two-up could have been good last year, just like a gambling addiction they kept reeling us back in and we usually left somewhat disappointed. But then against the Crusaders, Jackpot!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Hahahaha - nice one James!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2