Thread: Wallabies job opened to outsiders

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Thumbs up Wallabies job opened to outsiders

Wallabies job opened to outsiders

Rupert Guinness
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007

NEW Australian Rugby Union chairman Peter McGrath has vowed the appointment of the next Wallabies coach will not be influenced by nationality.

That means the door is open for overseas parties to join Australian coaches in the race to replace John Connolly, who leaves after the World Cup.

McGrath said the issue was likely to be brought up at the next ARU board meeting, in Sydney on Friday week.

It is expected the newly elected board chaired by McGrath will start nutting out a formal process to find Connolly's successor.

It may include the forming of a subcommittee such as the one set up to appoint the ARU's next chief executive after Gary Flowers leaves the post that day.

Asked about the Wallabies coaching position and if foreigners would be considered, McGrath made it clear that talent and credentials were the priority. "The board has been very, very clear … that it makes sure we pick the best person that is available," he said when asked if non-Australians could apply.

Asked three more times if that meant a foreigner could be considered, he would not rule it out, but repeated the board would look for the "best person".

McGrath, who is determined to create transparency in every process put in place by the board, is also aware that he has ties with two potential candidates for the Wallabies job that could be perceived as having a bearing on their chances.

McGrath was chairman of ACT Rugby when Blues coach David Nucifora was axed as the Brumbies coach in 2004, and when the ACT side's incumbent coach, Laurie Fisher, was appointed as Nucifora's successor in 2005.

Both would be strong contenders for the Wallabies position should they apply.

But McGrath said he would not allow the past to influence their chances either way.

"I am one person on the board. It is not the kind of board that is going to be swayed one way or another by an individual's view," he said. "They are obviously names I have been associated with in a past life. All I can say is that, as we have done with the CEO appointment, I will make sure the process is as transparent as we can possible make it.

"It is for that reason that I didn't put myself on - or I chose to separate myself directly from - the selection of the CEO."

McGrath also indicated that moves to get a proposal to create a new position of national coaching director across the line was far from a fait accompli.

"The board, as part of the fundamental business review, will be looking at all parts of the business," he said.

"We need to make sure that decisions are taken for the right reasons strategically.

"I am always against making decisions that are possibly Band-Aid. I am not saying that [a coaching director's position] is not a good thing.

"I am just saying that it has to fit into the overall structure of what we are trying to do. We would need to first understand the full [high-performance] strategy."

He also said the coaching director proposal was not yet a priority. "The CEO appointment is critical," he said. "But the most important thing at the moment is that our preparation for the World Cup is not to be compromised."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    i agree that they should be looking for the best person for the job even if it's a "foreigner/outsider"

just one more thing David Nucifora would he be likely to get the gig should he apply due to the whole falling out with the brumbies epsiode (i've been led to believe that basicly the players got him sacked)

vCash
    yea the best person should do the job australian or not.

david nucifora would be a good man for the job

vCash
    oh i dont dispute that he would be a good man for the job, just wondering whether he'd get the it because of the circumstances of his departure from the brumbies

vCash
    soz i didnt say it right should have been i think he would be good i no wat u mean and thats in the past im sure he will be fine

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Kiwi in mix for Wallabies job

By Peter Jenkins
    May 05, 2007

AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union officials have started the hunt for the next Australia coach - and Crusaders boss Robbie Deans has indicated he may be interested.

While a successor to John Connolly will not be appointed until after the World Cup finals in October, a sounding out process is under way on a strictly informal basis.

ARU negotiator Pat Wilson told The Saturday Daily Telegraph last night: "We'll enter into some dialogue with individuals, sit down with a few people at various times.

"I'll report back to the board before we take a more formal approach and I wouldn't think there'll be an announcement or an appointment until the end of the year.

"We don't want to take the focus off the World Cup campaign."

But Wilson confirmed the Wallabies coaching job was raised during a conversation with Deans when the pair met in Sydney five weeks ago prior to the Crusaders game against the Waratahs at Aussie Stadium.

Deans is off contract after the current Super 14 season and, while turning down an offer to coach the Stormers franchise in Cape Town next year, has admitted he will consider any coaching possibilities that arise.

Wilson suggested Deans "may be interested" in joining the race for the Wallabies job.

"Would we have another discussion? Quite possibly," Wilson added.

"What we're doing is just developing a list of possible candidates ... entering into preliminary dialogue to flesh out interest."

Deans has an impeccable track record. He has taken the Crusaders to four titles and six finals in his seven years at the helm, has them top of the ladder this season, and is lauded for the professional culture nurtured at the Christchuch franchise.

There was a flutter of excitement in some quarters yesterday when Laurie Fisher was reappointed as Australia A coach for an approaching program of matches against Japan, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and the Junior All Blacks.

Given Connolly will vacate the Wallabies job after the World Cup, the Australia A position was being viewed as the chance to implement some succession planning.

But Wilson revealed that Fisher was the only applicant for the post.

"All four Super 14 provinces were invited to nominate staff for coaching, assistant coaching and management roles," he said.

"Laurie was the only expression of interest for coach.

"We had no issue with that on the back of his performance as Australia A coach last year.

"Obviously we were keen to see a field of interested candidates.

"But Eddie Jones was going through a period of uncertainty in Queensland in terms of whether he was staying or going.

"John Mitchell was keen to focus on the Force and Ewen McKenzie was keen to focus during the (Australia A) period on getting the three teams in NSW established and right for the national competition."

While Fisher and Deans will be two contenders to take over from Connolly next year, others include McKenzie and former Wallabies hooker David Nucifora, now coaching the Blues in Auckland.

Jones, dumped after the tour to Europe in 2005, will not be applying, while Mitchell signed a four-year contract with Force yesterday.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Robbie Deans would be legendary in the Wallabies spot. He implements a system which is perfectly suited to modern rugby.

C'mon the

vCash
    If you lot don't get Robbie Deans there will be tears
    Don't object to him but with the raw material in Oz I'd like to think that there was some other suitable candiates

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mitch- Out
    Eddie- Out
    Catweezle- Gawd
    Link- The Turinui of Coaching

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    there has been a bit of mail goin around for robbie deans thats for sure, i'd quite happy for him to coach the wallabies, i think if he applies for the job he could be a shoe in

vCash
    Hmm, I never did get a reply to my e-mail to the the ARU about getting Robbie Deans.... Might have to send them another one.