Thread: Weekend Results-Palmyra

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Weekend Results-Palmyra

Palmyra had a good day at the office today with a clean sweep in all grades.

The celebrations were somewhat dampened by what appears to have been a serious injury to one of our second grade players and our concerns and hopes are that he makes a good recovery. I will let you know more when information is to hand.

The day's results were: colts v Curtin won 39- nil

6ths v Curtin won 17-nil

5ths v Curtin won 22-7

3rds v Curtin won 7 - 6

2nds v University won 22 - 3

1sts v Uni won 40-23

The first grade result could have been greater except that Pally played with 14 men for over half the game after 2nd rower Elliot was red carded, and for 10 minutes with 13 men after a yellow card to halfback Gus.

As the mighty 6ths played at the same time as firsts, I was only able to watch the last 10 minutes of the game by which time University were well and truly out of the game and both teams were going through the motions.

The boys are now all set to enjoy that elusive free keg which traditionally follows a clean sweep.

It was great to see the improvement of the colts and the depth of numbers there. Pally were able to "loan" Curtin 6 or 7 players as well as maintain a full reserves bench. This depth will, I predict, see them through to a finals berth.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    gus got sent off for repeated infrigments even though he had only benn on the field for 1min - go figure

key points
    1. refs were appauling.
    2. first 30seconds pally scored
    3. shaun ashton standout for uni aswell as replacement prop who scored twice
    4. nems and jerry hit form.
    5. chucky played like chucky. rested in the last 10-15mins.
    6.pallys prop went on a rampage. got dacked, scored a try. went for a 30m run - ran through about 6 people.

also juniors had a trumphit day with u12's winning in both teams u13's both teams and the 15's winning against cbc 55-7. wont be suprised if the 16's won and not sure about the 14's.

all in all pally had a field day!!!!
    lets bring it to soaks(u15's) and wests for the seniors.

vCash
    nice work clean sweep.

we thrashed u14 paly 2nd team 52-0

vCash

Thumbs up

All up a good day at the office for paly. i thought rick, 2nd grade captain had a good game, and then also a good second half for first grade.

Rookie
    vCash
    Good to see the club's running into some form throughout the Grades, especially good news about the Colts and Juniors .Well done to all concerned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    gus got sent off for repeated infrigments even though he had only benn on the field for 1min - go figure

key points
    1. refs were appauling.
    Firstly a disclaimer: No, I wasn't one of the refs at Paly.

Now, I figure that the team were repeatedly infringing and so the ref warned the captain that the next one who infringes is in the bin. (Remember Sharpie v Brumbies last week?)

Next, we are always looking for more refs, especially those who reckon the ones they get are "appauling" (sic), so how's about you sign up for a Level 1 Referee Course pruc? Join the fun and do better than those you saw on Saturday? Here's the link: http://www.rugbywa.com.au/community_...ses,30560.html

(....and remember we are volunteers. We don't get paid. We receive "expense reimbursement" which is sometimes as much as $17.00 per game...)

vCash
    Perhaps I should have added disclaimers when this subforum commenced.

1.This is an unofficial club subforum. Palmyra Rugby Union Club is not resposible for , nor is it necessarily aware of, what is posted hereon. The club is not associated with this subforum.

2. There will be no editing or censorship of what is posted except in the event of personally abusive posts, profanities, obscenities or posts which are malicious, defamatory or personally hurtful beyond the parameters of acceptable banter.

3.The moderators will be the sole judge of the above.

Having stated the above, it is not in my opinion clever or politic to criticize referees in other than a spirit of good humour and within the bounds of propriety. OK,I admit that in this context I have not always been the cleverest of people.

Referees have an extremely difficult task to perform in a sometimes volatile environment and have to make decisions in fractions of a second, without the benefit of time for reflection or analysis. They must call it as they see it, and invariably mistakes will occur. Equally, players in the heat of the game will transgress, and alcohol fuelled spectators can sometimes get it wrong themselves (not referring to you here pruc).

Sometimes when things don't pan out your way in a game, the best advice is, less said, sooner mended.

Champion
    vCash
    i no reffing is hard i umpire in my summer sport. but it is only my view. the way the ref addressed gus it made it sound like it was him repeating the offence not the team. but the ref was shocking. pally get this guy alot and this was below the standard he sents/. like players refs have a bad games. and i think this was his bad game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Perhaps I should have added disclaimers when this subforum commenced.
    Don't lawyers even take Sundays off ?

Rookie
    vCash
    I have on good authoritry the Ref overuled an over involved "touchy" on a erronous call in Palys favour , however , I hope video was taken of the 1st grade game for the pending send off hearing as ,in my opinion ,the players response for having his 'wedding tackle' manipulated was completely justified, and possibly lenient.

vCash
    For those interested- thankfully good news on the injured player front. What was thought to be a serious neck injury was far less severe than first suspected. He was discharged from hospital on Sunday after being diagnosed with concussion but no damage to his vertebae.

There is a warning here though-neck and spinal injuries don't just happen in the scrum. In this case it was a fullback receiving a severe accidental impact to the head, knocking him awkwardly to the ground and out cold.

The game was held up for 40 minutes while the Ambulance arrived and attended to the injured player. There was no ambulance or doctor at the ground, just physios and a senior nurse who was there as a spectator (thankfully).

I know it is an impossible financial burden on clubs, but pehaps the union, whiich from my recent experience of their hospitality is obviously not short of funds, could put a few dollars in this direction.

To me player safety and health should be at the forefront of RugbyWA thinking, not left to the the clubs in the hope they can afford to do something about it (which they can't). Palmyra had an ambulance at each home game last year, and the exercise almost sent them broke. No other club to my knowlege has done so to date.