Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ioane stuns Force

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    If you go Digby then good luck to you - but I pity you if you think you will be able to play professional rugby for your career and also think you can stay with your family - sometimes you have to be away from them and that's life, you'll be cutting your nose of to spite your face if you head to QLD!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006
    ... it'll be a pretty sad mess based on some mis-understandings.
    Not wrong, and it doesn't sound like the recruiting procedures will do us many favours either. I wonder whether he had second thoughts when Staniforth re-signed.

Hopefully I'm wrong about Stapleton and retaining Ioane was somehow relevant to allowing Daruda to leave (but I don't think the timing fits). I can't remember what Sare's contractual position is, but I hope he is locked in as losing him would suck a heap. I believe McKay's contract is up and I suppose it might have been him released, but again wouldn't have thought there was much correlation with Ioane. Any which way we are getting thin for spare backs and, if it is not already in hand, we'll need to find a least a couple of new players (am I right in thinking we have no apprentice backs???). I wonder how the Academy lads are going....

vCash
    thank god and good riddance

we may see a few more offloads and a lot less knock ons

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    I think we got to see ALL our apprentice backs last year with all the injury mess we had to endure!

De Bartolo and Graham moved on, Sare is now a regular in the 22, we haven't seen much of Stapleton (but he did a pretty good job for Gold)
    *reaches for season guide*

.............nup, other than Daruda thats it!

Quote Originally Posted by luke_the_pom
    thank god and good riddance

we may see a few more offloads and a lot less knock ons
    Whinged like a true f'n Pom!

Last edited by WF2006; 27-04-07 at 15:43. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    I assume you are talking about Adam Wallace-Harrison (only WA lad I know of at the Brumbies) - he is now a starting 15 player and a strong possibility for Australia A.

Yep thats the one thanx Andy, you wouldn't happen to know when his contract with the Brumbies is up????

vCash
    Well I'm at work and somehow we can't see Foxsports pages here. I assume there's a story Ioane is going "back" to Queensland? But I thought he's already re-signed for us??

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Sorry Mate
    I'll see what happens if I ctrl-V in here

Ioane stuns Force

April 27, 2007 WESTERN Force wing Digby Ioane has stunned Western Force by signing a two-year contract with Queensland.

Ioane, who agreed at the start of the month to stay with Force, cited strong family ties in Brisbane for his late change of mind.

The decision by the 2005 Australia tourist provides a major boost to the Reds ahead of their match against the Stormers in Cape Town on Sunday morning (AEST).

Queensland, which is running last on the Super 14 ladder, with 11 losses since the opening-round victory against the Hurricanes, had bee desperate to recruit a wing with blinding pace for next season.

But Ioane's decision also delivers a painful blow to Force.

Force chief executive Peter O'Meara hasn't given up hope of keeping Ioane, 21, and he has scheduled a meeting with him tomorrow to "resolve some issues".

The Australian Rugby Union has confirmed that Ioane is free to link with the Reds as he hasn't signed a binding contract with Force, which is considering legal action.

"He's certainly made a legal agreement with the Western Force," O'Meara said.

"Based on the agreement we have with Digby, we let another player go from this organisation and stopped searching for a replacement.

"We have an agreement, one that ranks ahead of any arrangement with Queensland, and we will be protecting our legal rights."

Ioane's late change of mind is understood to have been the partial result of a contractual misunderstanding after Force bolstered its official offer following the ARU-sanctioned bidding period.

Ioane believed he had agreed to the superior, amended offer, and he opted to return home once he was aware that he had signed a deal similar to that lodged by Queensland.

Ioane's manager, Damien McGregor-Lowndes, denied that factors other than family reasons had affected his client's decision.

Ioane, seen as a strong Rugby World Cup contender for Australia, is the uncle of versatile Reds forward Ole Avei.

"He's struggled for two years over there being away from family and friends, and he's now come to a realisation four years would be too long," McGregor-Lowndes said of Ioane.

"There's no agreement with the Western Force.

"He'll be in Queensland for two years."

The wrangle comes as the Reds and Force also tussle over Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore in another contract battle that could result in legal action.

Force wants to make a late bid for Moore after losing veteran Wallabies hooker Brendan Cannon to a career-ending neck injury, but it is prevented from bidding by the ARU's strict contracting protocols.

Force, as in Ioane's case, has been prevented from lodging or amending an offer for Moore after the mid-March bid deadline.

The ARU is determined to maintain the integrity of its contracting protocols, and must apply the same rules to all, but Moore's manager, Anthony Picone, has questioned the legality of the process, saying that Moore may take legal advice.

"Stephen hasn't made up his mind either way, but has expressed a desire to listen to what the Force have to offer," Piccone said.

The Rugby Union Players Association is also investigating the matter with the ARU.

mmmmm.......seemed to do the trick! Not sure what the copyright laws think though!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006
    Sorry Mate
    I'll see what happens if I ctrl-V in here

Thanks for that.

If he's that unhappy let him go. It's not going to be the last time that will happen to a young player. I like his attacking skills but he's still suspect carrying the ball into contact. Actually he's suspect just catching the bugger going into contact.

Give Haig Sare some valuable game time. The Force canj then have a look at Nigel Staniforth during the ARC. Or maybe they should just sign him now?

vCash
    I cannot believe the timing of this announcement. Surely it could have been held over until after next week's game. Digby has always been a crowd favourite, but he will lose that now. He certainly has not done himself any favours by announcing his decision to stay and then changing his mind a couple of weeks later. Maybe that was his Mister 10%'s doing. Whatever, he has labelled himself as being one not to be trusted. A great pity, I still believe he has a great future and I hope he does well with Queensland, although I would have preferred it to be here.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big I
    .. you wouldn't happen to know when his contract with the Brumbies is up????
    I believe he signed a two year contract at the end of the S14 last year, so presumably comes up again this time next year.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    good luck to him. i'll be chering him off for the next 2 (3?4?) games, and jeering him off next year

Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    I believe he signed a two year contract at the end of the S14 last year, so presumably comes up again this time next year.

vCash
    Digby wtf man!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    To quote the simpsons "treason season has come early this year"

vCash
    Just before we left I made a quick sign that said "Stay Digby!!!"- of course he won man of the match and boy did he play great!!!! I waited at the front when the boys where coming around and Digby's face lite up when he saw the sign. He came over and said "thanks champ, I'll see" and gave me one of those homeboy hand shakes haha

STAY DIGBY!!! PLEASE!!!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Dang, and after such a good game tonight!

Well done for tonight, go get f****d next season!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast