Great news for the Tahs and Wallabies!
Lyons is still on the comeback for mine, but he is the kind of "depth player" that we desperately need in the next couple of seasons as the juniors come through.
Well done David

Lyons recommits, targets record

April 10, 2007

AUSTRALIA No.8 David Lyons is in line to become New South Wales's most capped player after agreeing to a new two-year deal with the Waratahs and Australian Rugby Union.

The re-signing of the 41-Test forward is a boost for the struggling Waratahs ahead of Saturday's bottom-of-the-ladder clash with Queensland Reds at Aussie Stadium, which marks the 125th anniversary of clashes between NSW and Queensland.

Lyons, 26, moved to outright third on the all-time list of Waratahs appearances on Sunday against the Brumbies, his 95th match taking him past former teammate Nathan Grey.

He now only trails Chris Whitaker (118 matches) and Matthew Burke (115) and could pass both with an unbroken run over the next two seasons.

"David's a fairly humble bloke and he's probably a bit embarrassed by talk of breaking records," said Waratahs head coach Ewen McKenzie.

"But the fact remains that he's been a loyal servant for a number of years with a track record of playing on through all kinds of discomfort.

"He played 80-odd straight matches for the Waratahs up until this season which is proof of his toughness.

"He's a real chance of becoming the most capped Waratah and I think he'd be worthy of the honour."

Lyons played 83 straight Super rugby matches, stretching from his debut in week one of the 2000 season through to last year's Super 14 semi-final against the Hurricanes.

He has since made a successful comeback from a post-operative stress fracture in his knee, which saw him miss the first three rounds of the 2007 season.

"Missing the start of the season gave me a taste of life without the Waratahs and I didn't enjoy it," Lyons said.

"It's a real family here and after eight seasons I feel like part of the furniture.

"I'm enjoying my rugby and didn't see any reason for that not to continue."

Lyons played down talk of becoming the Waratahs' most capped player.

"To be compared to the likes of Whits and Burkey is an honour in itself," Lyons said.

"I'm not about milestones but should it come about I'll do everything to be the leader that such a position requires."

AAP