Hoiles has point to prove

Sportal

In-form Brumbies back-rower Stephen Hoiles is looking forward to playing his first Super 14 match against his old team when they take on the Waratahs this Sunday in Canberra.

The hard-running loose forward has made the most of his change in colours after spending a lot of time on the bench at the Waratahs in 2006 behind fellow Wallabies Phil Waugh, Rocky Elsom, David Lyons and Wycliff Palu.

He has been one of the Brumbies best players this campaign and has made the No.8 jersey his own, and is keen to continue the trend this weekend against his former team-mates.

"It will be a little confronting playing my old team but I'm trying to put the emotion out of my mind," Hoiles told The Australian.

"Look, they'll probably try to unsettle me but I'll just respond with a cheeky smile."

The 25-year-old indicated he is enjoying his time at the Brumbies and is benefiting from the open game plan under head coach Laurie Fisher.

"The style of footy they play at the Brumbies suits me. It's an expansive and open game," Hoiles said.

"I just wanted more time on the field. Sometimes you're going to get no opportunities to try things and sometimes you're going to get 10.

"If you're on the field more often then you've got a greater chance of being in the right place at the right time and able to show what you can do."

The Brumbies will be looking to continue their climb up the table with a top four berth a possibility if they can amass a win on Sunday. But Hoiles admits a bonus-point win for scoring four tries may be an unlikely equation.

"One of the trends with the local games has been grinding them out recently," he said.

"Everyone knows each other's game so well and with the rules and how they're policed, it's turned very defensive."