Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: An Inconvenient Truth

Iris
    I have to say that I am disappointed, I know I am off topic now, but I thought there was love here on the whole force, and I got a bit of a slap in the face when I checked out this thread.
    I don't want to argue about who was in the wrong, but it seems Bacon was merely pointing out the reason that maybe there was so little replies, and he was kind of pounced on, and I certainly didn't read his/her thread as an attack or whatever.
    I checked out this thread out of interest, and probably wouldn't have bothered posting except that I thought several people may have been out of line. My reason for not posting otherwise ..... I don't feel that my knowledge of this subject is sufficient enough to post a comment/reply that would do it justice, however until I got to the unfortunate parts of this thread, I was quite enjoying it.
    Come on people, I think you are better than that.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The thing with these documentaries is they've become very popular in recent years and mainly due to Michael Moore and his Bowling for Columbine and Farenheit 911, the one by Dylan Avery called Loose Change.

They all present "facts" which seem undeniable at the time and tell them in a way which seems independant but the truth is they only have one view point.

Most of us don't have the time or resources to completely debunk them so we take them on face value. Having said that, you would have to be pretty arrogant to believe we are having no effect on the planet!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    It is all cool now Iris, a few people had thier say, and now it's done, so don't worry...TWf is back to normal, now lets fix the enviorment

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    ..... Having said that, you would have to be pretty arrogant to believe we are having no effect on the planet!
    Good point. I think Green investments are a great place to have a percentage of your investments in too. You mind as well make some money off of it too.

vCash
    hey all havnt seen the Al Gore doco as yet but just thought would direct you to the below article released by an organisation called Tennesse Centre for Policy Research now it must be said they dont say were they got there facts but one hard fact is Al Gore's Power Bill each month is $1200 US so he is churning up a bit of juice.... But evn if these facts are true at least he has done one thing positive and that is make the world stand up a pay attention to Global Warming and the like and actually got people debating it which can only be a good thing... I mean we are even talking about it on a rugby forum! Well done TEF for bringing up the topic as even though this is a rugby forum I think all members of TWF are capable of having a little debate about non-rugby issues....

Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
    Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

www.tennesseepolicy.org

Cheers ALL

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    lol .. now which side do you believe?? Wait for Al Gore to come out and publish his power and gas bills to prove the NES is lying ? haha

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    All this global warming is caused by daylight saving

deadset

vCash
    ... I was serious about a TWF plant a tree day ... we could do our bit Im gonna hire out the movie tonight because I have absolutely nothing better to do !!! ... and check it out... obviously before or after chat hahaha!!! yeah good idea!!!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    You can come and plant trees at my place,Lonzy. Just let me bulldoze the scrub out of the way first

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    You can come and plant trees at my place,Lonzy. Just let me bulldoze the scrub out of the way first
    Very amusing FT.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Whilst I was being funny, and have planted over 80000 trees, if you look at all the "wonderful" sites that have had trees planted by many different groups, all have been cleared of native veg in the past

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    we could organise a TWF road trip out to a farm somwhere and donate legs and arms to plants trees if there is enough interest!! Would be a winter type thing!!

vCash
    Here's my 2cents.

We could read every article written, every study published and possibly still not know whether the impact of "human induced" emissions is causing global warming or whether it's part of the normal climate cycle.

The one thing I know for sure is that if we collectively try to limit our emissions we won't do any harm. We should look at any costs as the price of cleaner air if not a cooler climate. That's without factoring in diminishing carbon fuels.

If we do nothing or emit ever increasing amounts and the "alarmists" are right then the consequences will be devastating.

A hiding to nothing or a no lose situation at a small price. Should be a no-brainer.

vCash
    Hit the nail on the head Shasta, No need for people saying "I told you so" if we address the issues now...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    The very fact people are discussing this topic is a form of good news. Wouldn't have been too long ago that these issues would not be on anyone's Top Ten Things That Need To Be Changed To Save Our Asses.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast