Thread: Western Force Pre-season Games

Apprentice
    vCash

Western Force Pre-season Games

I read last week that the Force's home pre-season match against the Cats has been cancelled, because the Cats received an offer that they couldn't refuse to play in the UK.

The other two scheduled pre-season matches are (I think) against Aukland in NZ and against the Crusaders in Melbourne.

Given the enormous interest in Perth, it would be disappointing if a practice match could not be organised to replace the Cats match. Possibly the Crusaders match could be relocated in Perth. I can't imagine this drawing much of a crowd in Melbourne, and even if the Force paid the extra air fares for the Crusaders, they would still be well ahead financially from much greater gate takings.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yeh I can't understand why the game is being played in Melbourne. It would be twice as appreciated here in Perth, giving Force fans a taste of what to come.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Unhappy

Something would have to be in the works to get an alternative competitor here for a home warm up game. Wouldn't it?

I reckon we should invite Japan down for a friendly! Same time zone so the Japanese fans get a look in, and they may well be playing in a future APC.....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Or perhaps a team from the Pacific Islands?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    That could be good too!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So long as they didn't create too many injuries I would be more in favour of playing a Pacific team as you suggest Chief. It would provide great tackle practice for the boys that's for sure!

vCash
    And so long as the Force won! Anyway Vasco maybe email info@rugbywa.com.au will give you an answer on the Western Force Action plan!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Would they consider what people recommend to them, 8?

Apprentice
    vCash
    Are any of our website members in the Rugby WA or Western Force management?

If so, perhaps they can comment on whether a replacement practice match in Perth is being sought.

Apprentice
    vCash
    I'm biased, but I say drag the San Louis or Charlotte team down (the new RSL teams). Actually, that's totally unrealistic. Sorry.

Rookie
    vCash
    I doubt they'll be a replacement game for the Cats game.
    Firstly, I think RWA want to have the season build up focus on the opening game and try and sell that out. If they can secure 40,000 to the first game then they've a serious chance of maintaining it for the rest of the season.
    If however, there's a 'pratice' game before then it might dilute the anticipation of the First Big Game against the Brumbies...

On the point of why is it being played in Melbourne....to rub the salt in ofcourse...Jesus they'll be bitter when that game comes around! Love it

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think you may have a good point there p-diddy in regard to keeping the big block buster as the first game however, I don't think they have any concerns re selling out the match. There are already 19,000+ members and going by how quickly the Test matches sell out the first Force match is an absolute shoe in to be well sold out. I would suggest that they could fill a 60k + stadium for that one game as everyone will grasp the historical significance of the first match. So, yes I agree they may want to build the suspense, but I don't think it will have a bearing on tickets sales either way. Even if as an away match though, I hope they do find a suitable fixture as they will need all the chances they can find to gel as a unit.

vCash

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    Would they consider what people recommend to them, 8?

Sorry Chiefy I've have been a little busy for a few days - I expect positive structured feedback and a commitment from an opposing team would influence RugbyWA decision making process, something I do know is, they have booked Subiaco Stadium on this day so they would be pretty keen to use it rather lose a deposit straight up - there is talk of a non-wallaby included Western Force fixture against Manawatu or 1 of 2 Japanese coporate teams or possibley against the 6th South African franchise the "Southern Spears"..........watch this space!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Would be great to have a double header, the 1st XV against a rep team and the rest of the squad and some invitational players from WA as the curtain raiser against a lower ranked team!
    Give everyone exposure straight up.
    Has anyone heard whether there are going to be curtain raiser games during the S14 season? Probably a bit hard to during the start of the year being out of season but surely by the end there could be some worthwhile club matches to watch?