Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force v Sharks, preview

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force v Sharks, preview

Western Force v Sharks, preview

Venue & time

Subaico Oval, Perth. Saturday, March 30, 7.05pm (WST)

Head to head

Played 1: Sharks 1, Force 0

Last time

May 12, 2006 (Durban) - Sharks 41-25 Force

Walking wounded & team changes

Scott Staniforth and David Pusey remain on the injured list for the Force but Matt Giteau (groin) and Matt Henjak (bicep) are back in the starting line-up. Giteau comes back at inside centre, pushing Junior Pelesasa to the bench, James Hilgendorf stays at No.10 while Henjak's return to scrumhalf sees Chris O'Young also go back to the bench. Coach John Mitchell has also rotated the forwards with hooker Tai McIsaac, prop Trot Takiari and flanker Matt Hodgson in the starting team - Brendan Cannon and David Pocock are on the bench.

Sharks fullback Percy Montgomery is still sidelined with thigh injury, lock Johan Muller comes back into the starting side in place of Albert van den Berg after being rested last week, while Keegand Daniel replaces Ryan Kankowski on the bench.

Form

The Western Force have been one of the form teams in the competition and manufactured wins over the Waratahs (? Must have missed that one...) and Hurricanes before demolishing the Reds in their last start. They had the bye last week so will be freshened up for this encounter.

The Sharks played smart, attractive rugby to sit at the top of the table after seven weeks but produced a flat effort to suffer their first defeat of the season at the hands of the Brumbies last week.

Who's hot

Cameron Shepherd has been on fire for the Force, while David Pocock and Richard Brown had great games against the Reds.

Loose forwards AJ Venter and Warren Britz have been in top form for the Sharks while Francois Steyn has been dynamic at fullback in Montgomery's absence.

Teams

Western Force:

1. Gareth Hardy,
    2. Tai McIsaac,
    3. Troy Takiari,
    4. Rudi Vedelago,
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c),
    6. Richard Brown,
    7. Matt Hodgson,
    8. Scott Fava,

9. Matt Henjak,
    10. James Hilgendorf,
    11. Cameron Shepherd,
    12. Matt Giteau,
    13. Ryan Cross,
    14. Digby Ioane,
    15. Drew Mitchell.

16. Brendan Cannon,
    17. Angus Scott,
    18. Luke Doherty,
    19. David Pocock,
    20. Chris O'Young,
    21. Junior Pelesasa,
    22. Haig Sare.

Sharks:

1. Deon Carstens ,
    2. John Smit (Capt),
    3. BJ Botha,
    4. Johan Ackermann,
    5. Johann Muller,
    6. Warren Britz,
    7. AJ Venter,
    8. Jacques Botes,

9. Ruan Pienaar,
    10. Butch James,
    11. JP Pietersen,
    12. Bradley Barritt,
    13. Waylon Murray,
    14. Odwa Ndungane,
    15. Francois Steyn.

16. Bismarck du Plessis,
    17. Tendai Mtawarira,
    18. Albert van den Berg,
    19. Bobby Skinstad,
    20. Keegan Daniel,
    21. Rory Kockott,
    22. Adrian Jacobs.

March 29, 2007 - 1:54am
    Story by: Sportal

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm hoping the backs really fire this week and we get a cricket score....it's just a matter of time and my water is feeling slightly tingley again. The sharks are going to want to play it tight up front but if we get can break it out then our backs will have a field day.

Just remember forwards you are just there to feed the ball to the game winners. (My god, I hope nobody takes that personally)

Just happy to be here

vCash
    honestly am getting to the stage where i dont care about ARU i am that angry but hope they win still

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    This is a big one for their chances of a run at the finals, but frankly that's not particularly relevant. More important is that it will be their first real test against a real form side - the win over the Bulls was hugely creditable, but early season form is always a bit variable.

The Force has the game to beat the Sharks, but it will take a firing back line running off a really committed defence. They've shown that this year, but the Sharks will not lie down and it will need to be an 84 minute effort. It's going to be interesting as I reckon both teams will play a somewhat similar game - big defence and commitment at the breakdown to release the backline. The Sharks will probably favour the forwards a little more in attack with the rolling maul, the Force will test wider a bit earlier. I'd expect to see the Sharks come out running the ball, but if the Force can blunt that and apply some pressure I wouldn't be surprised to see the Monty revert to the touchline and rely on their forwards. I also expect the Sharks to test Mitchell with chips over the top. Can't see the Force doing much different than they have, but may need to put a bit more depth in their attacking line and hit the ball moving fast.

There are some big games this weekend and this should be a snorter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    if the Force can blunt that and apply some pressure I wouldn't be surprised to see the Monty revert to the touchline and rely on their forwards.
    I think Steyn will be playing instead of Percy so he won't be kicking away the ball unless he absolutely has to.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Good call, my bad. Could be very interesting then if it makes it easier to pin them in their own half - phase play could be a major factor.

vCash
    Sharks pack is strong, very strong. Their backline is a cracker as well, watch out for the centre pairing. Force need to get that ball out and we will win the game.

Carn Force!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    On 10 tonight it stated that Sheps not kicking so as not to aggravate his injury and Gits is kicking

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    is this a certainty?

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Hopefully Shep will play and not be a late withdrawal. Otherwise Hilgendorf at fullback, Mitchell to wing and Junior back in starting side? Then again, no, prob Haig Sare in for Shep as a straight swap. Here's hoping it wont be necessary....

vCash
    This is probably one of a couple of crucial tests the boys face this year. It's early to say no tomorrows, but it's certainly an all-in bet

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Force expecting ferocious Sharks attack

Thursday, March 29, 2007

As they continue to tick the boxes during an increasingly impressive season, Western Force coach John Mitchell says it is now time for his emerging side to show they cannot be intimidated - even by the best South Africa has to offer.

Coming off two successive wins, and a perfectly timed bye, the Force will be looking to reverse their worst ever defensive display when they welcome the Sharks to Subiaco tomorrow (kick off 7.05pm WST).

The last game of last season, in Durban, saw the Force concede over 40 points for the only time in their short history.

And Force coach John Mitchell said he is expecting a similar barrage on Friday - and his charges would have to fight fire with fire.

"I expect this game to be pretty direct ... and to be pretty tight and ferocious early. They'll be very confrontational and they will look to try and beat us up," Mitchell said.

"Knowing the Sharks they like to carry the ball around the fringes, but one thing they do bring differently to the other sides is that they will back themselves with the ball.

"But that does not intimidate us and nor should we fear that. You can't afford to be intimidated at this level, you have got to focus on your own game."

While that single meeting in round 14 last year produced 66 points and nine tries, this year's clash brings together the two tightest defences in the competition - with the Force the only Super 14 team to have conceded less than 100 points.

Despite this, Force skipper Nathan Sharpe expects an attacking philosophy from both sides.

"I think both teams try and play expansive football which is a nice thing for the crowd, so there could be a few tries on tomorrow," Sharpe said.

"The Sharks aren't a typical South African side where they just punch away up the middle, they do score some points and use the width."

With Sharks coach Dick Muir giving the majority of his squad the chance to redeem themselves after a stumbling home loss to the Brumbies, Mitchell chose to include two playmakers by retaining Jimmy Hilgendorf as well as recalling Matt Giteau.

"It is pretty important to go with two pivots ... which gives us a little bit more width on our game," Mitchell said.

And it will also give Wallabies backroom lieutenants Scott Johnson and Mike Foley more scouting material to take back to head coach John Connolly, after spending the week in Perth.

"We actually invited them in ... it is good to have them involved, and it is good for our players to be exposed in front of them," Mitchell said.

"Ultimately we have a responsibility for as many guys to try and make the Wallabies as possible."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    12hrs to go and i am keen as mustard, carn the force...We can beat thes sharks and prove we have the cojones to go all the way...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I can smell a home semi

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    "Sharks fullback Percy Montgomery is still sidelined with thigh injury"
    Now I am starting to feel a bit better about not being able to get down to the game. I was looking forward to hanging poop on Percy all night.

There's another one. Hanging poop!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast