Thread: Who is Ernest Skelton?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Who is Ernest Skelton?

Have dug up a little info on Reds new (and apparently infamous!) Prop for this weeks match.

Born-again Skelton

By Jim Tucker
    September 07, 2006

NEW Queensland Reds prop Ernest Skelton finally feels he has rebuilt his life from the shame of a 10-year ban for punching a touch judge which still bars him from playing rugby league.

Most importantly, he knows he can now look each of his five sons in the eye as a role model, not as an ex-footballer forced into retirement with a thug's reputation.
    Skelton revealed last night his rehabilitation as a person, father and footballer from his wild youth had been repaid by the "best moments of his life" over the past two weeks.

A Brisbane rugby union premiership win with Wests and surprise selection in the Queensland squad for the Australian Provincial Championship, which kicks off at Ballymore tomorrow, is more than he ever dreamed of at 29.

"People make mistakes in life. I did and I knew I had to change my attitude to be a better person and father for my five boys," Skelton said.

"Over the years I've been deeply down and people kept saying 'give the game away', but I couldn't finish my football like that. I had to make up for it."

Skelton was hit with a 10-year ban for striking a touch judge after being sent off in a Brisbane second division rugby league semi-final in 1999.

"He flattened a touch judge and we were not prepared to review the suspension," said Brisbane Second Division Rugby League chairman Mick Tierney.

"There was a gentleman's agreement that any suspension in one code would carry over to the other, but a few rugby guys argued the ban was too severe and obviously agreed to let him play again, which is not our concern."

The Samoan prop admitted he needed to change his ways of the 1990s.

"When I was young my attitude in league was like a fearless Gorden Tallis. There were wild games and if someone punched me, I'd punch 'em back," Skelton said.

His fight to play rugby reached a Supreme Court judge before a special Australian Rugby Union judiciary heard his case and enforced a three-year ban until June, 2004.

He did not pay lip service to his rehabilitation for those three tough years.

He refereed, coached and managed Norths junior teams, washed jerseys, acted as waterboy at training and even ferried grade players from train stations to training.

He wrote the touch judge a letter and apologised.

"My dad told me it's not how you fall but how you get back up that is important," Skelton said.

"Holding up the premiership trophy and playing for the Reds against the Fijians last Friday are the greatest moments of my life and for my wife and boys."

Reds boss Eddie Jones was advised of Skelton's past before selecting him. The faith is being repaid by "one of the most enthusiastic players I've ever coached," Jones said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    he probably could do with the money for a new set of teeth by the sounds of it

vCash
    haha yea

i think ive seen the video of that its really stupid and deserved 10 years but hes right he is like a gordan tallis, exept gordan tallis is good at rugby and doesnt punch refs.

vCash
    yep Gordie is an idiot, but he's not a violent idiot.

At Parra one time he flipped off the supporters as the Broncos team bus left the stadium... maturity of a 13 y.o. but at least he doesn't punch refs

vCash
    This is what we've been waiting for though, bit of mongrel in the front row.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    ARU needs a Mongrel coach - send her to each of the unions for weekend workshops

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Sage you saying Rodzilla has no mongrel ?

Dammed if I know whether Skelton should be reffed by Master Goddard tho ?

from little things, big things grow...