Barnes centre of excellence, Horan

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Wallabies great Tim Horan has anointed Berrick Barnes as a future Test centre and tipped him to fire Queensland's spluttering attack from No.12 at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

Horan applauded Reds coach Eddie Jones's left-field move to shift Barnes from five-eighth to inside-centre for the Super 14 clash against the "monstrous" Lions.

Queensland's best-ever centre, Horan is excited about the potential combination between Barnes and rookie five-eighth Quade Cooper.

The dual World Cup winner believes 20-year-old Barnes and 18-year-old Cooper could be the future of Australian rugby and sees them as the trigger to a far more dangerous Reds game.

"I think it's great that Quade gets an opportunity, and for Berrick he's got more of a roving role in the team and I think that will suit him rather than be at first-receiver all the time," Horan said. "His vision will certainly open up the game. I think it's a good move for him.

"Even last year I thought probably his better position is No.12. Just looking at his physique and the way he runs, and he can still control a game from 12.

"I think this will be the start of a big career for both of them."

While the back line reshuffle has been borne out of necessity due to injuries and suspension, Jones hasn't rejected leaving Barnes at inside-centre after the must-win encounter.

The former Broncos NRL recruit played much of his school rugby at inside-centre and the selection of Cooper, rated by some as better than NSW wonderboy Kurtley Beale, gives another important kicking option in general play.

Horan, used by the Reds as a mentor to Barnes, rates him mature beyond his years but sees his 2007 campaign, battling "second-year syndrome", as crucial to his development.

"He's one of the most skilled and mature rugby players I've seen in the last 15 years," said the 80-Test centre and former Test selector. "He just needs time out on the pitch to prove to everyone else and himself that he can do it week-in, week-out."

With Wallabies coach John Connolly lamenting the dearth of talent behind Matt Giteau at inside-centre, Horan believes Barnes can grab his chance at No.12 heading towards the World Cup, especially as his game would complement that of outside-centre Stirling Mortlock.

Jones has marked tonight's clash a key in keeping the Reds in the hunt after dropping to second last following three straight defeats which have taken their toll physically and mentally. "It's a pretty big turning point for them," Horan agreed. "Queensland can't get to a stage where, after seven games, they're no chance of making the top four because the enthusiasm of the crowds and sometimes the players can drop off.

"They just have to have self-belief and that comes from getting momentum in the forwards and then people like Quade and Berrick to run the team. They have definitely got the potential to explode as a team."

Meanwhile, Jones, who talked up the resurgent Lions pack as "monstrous", was full of humour on the eve of the match.

As well as sarcastically labelling his forward-oriented tactics as "one-dimensional", Jones made the most of his media opportunity to hand over a cheque for $10,000 to the Spinal Injuries Association.

The presentation was the final act in his fine for a stinging attack on Matt Goddard's refereeing performance a fortnight ago. After staging a fifth "handover" for the cameras, Jones quipped: "I could have really given him a spray for 50 grand."