Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kurtley Beale Scared Witless Ahead of SMACKDOWN.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Kurtley Beale Scared Witless Ahead of SMACKDOWN.

They don;t actually say that - but I bet he is
    http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...338791518.html
    Palu promises he's got Beale's back

The simmering tensions between NSW and Western Force have reached boiling point ahead of tonight's clash, with Waratahs enforcer Wycliff Palu indicating the Australian derby could explode into a heated brawl.

"I'm expecting World War III in the first 20 minutes," Palu said. The 120kg back-rower warned that any Force forwards employing rough-house tactics on young NSW playmaker Kurtley Beale would be dealt with, and may cop a fist to the chin.

"I can't say no … if [a fight] happens I'll be in there," Palu said. "Our job in the back row will be to cover for Kurtley, who is only young. It's his second starting game. We know they are going to target him so it's our job to step in."

The fighting words have struck a chord with the Force - who were angered by comments made by NSW Rugby Union chief executive Fraser Neill this week that they were not a real chance in the Super 14 despite being placed above the Waratahs.

The side has kept a low profile this week, but yesterday Force No.8 Scott Fava said if push came to shove at Aussie Stadium, his side would live up to its name. "There is no way our team will be taking a backwards step," Fava said. "If they are going to try that sort of stuff, that is entirely up to them, but I think it would be to their detriment.

"I have been talking to the boys during the week about it and we want to stay disciplined. But blatant, illegal play by them, or if our guys are getting punched openly, we won't be backing down. I say bring it on - but if anything starts it will be on their behalf.

"We want to play rugby, we don't want to be brought into these taunts and compete in a brutish boxing match."

In the only all-Australian match so far this season - between the Brumbies and Reds - several players took part in a wild fight that ended up over the sidelines and resulted in two players being sin-binned. Rivalry is beginning to surface in Australian derbies, and players feel pressure with Wallabies selectors paying particular attention.

"All local derbies are pretty fiery," Palu said. "There will be plenty of big hits."

The Force are expected to test Beale, 18, with brutal defence in the opening stages in a bid to shake his confidence. But Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie said the laid back five-eighth's heart isn't beating any faster. "I don't get the sense he is nervous about the occasion - if he has got nerves, he hides it well."

Both sides have said they will target each others' greatest attacking weapons: Lote Tuqiri and Matt Giteau. Fava said Tuqiri's on-going contract negotiations, and the general feeling he needed to produce a commanding performance in this match to justify his asking price, could be exploited. "The pressure on Lote Tuqiri is going to be amplified," Fava said. "We want to frustrate Lote by denying him as much ball as possible."

New Waratahs winger Morgan Turinui, who forms an interesting back-three alliance with Tuqiri and fullback Peter Hewat, said Giteau was relied on too heavily by the Force. "Giteau's such an important part of their game," Turinui said. "Sometimes when he's caught in a ruck or - if you saw when Matt Henjak went to the bin last week and he went to halfback - they lost a little bit of direction. So it can be hard sometimes when a team relies so much on one player.

"He's by far and away one of the best players in Australia and you don't give a guy like that space and you don't let him dominate the game."

Turinui, a regular centre, said he would play a roving role but dared the Force to send their attack in his direction. "I expect a couple of early high balls. But if they're doing that, then that's a turnover for us and another chance for us to use the ball," he said.

McKenzie said Turinui "reads the width of the game well and we'll get his communication skills, his defensive skills and hopefully use his attacking skills" on the wing - usually the best position to watch an on-field fracas.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Iris
    Kurtley should be scared, he will get media mobbed after the game!

I would like to see Palu break Henjak so O'Young can play for a bit of eye candy!

Champion
    vCash
    lets stick it to them. in a brawl we will win.

vCash
    In a brawl the yellow card and the ref wins. Get it right lil tacker!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Iris
    I want to see some purple blood!!! Give it to 'em Cliffy!!!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I want to see some running Rugby and tries by both sides, preferably +4 to us and 3 to the Tahs, not going to win a World Cup by being the best brawlers.
    I would note that it is normally the weaker team that starts the physical talk to try and distract the better team from their game plan.
    It would appear that Fava has the right attitude though, you'll have to start it but we will finish it!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Its on like donkey kong ! But I'm afraid if it does come to a fight, the Force will be belted. The Tahs have Rocky. Elsom that is. The Eye of the Tiger !

To the extreme !

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He'll be in the bin watching before any biff starts

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris
    I want to see some purple blood!!! Give it to 'em Cliffy!!!!!
    Tahs are deadset belters, starting the fight doesnt mean more numbers on the scoreboard. Tahs to get smashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice
    Its on like donkey kong ! But I'm afraid if it does come to a fight, the Force will be belted. The Tahs have Rocky. Elsom that is. The Eye of the Tiger !
    More likely he will attract the "eye of the ref" ice.

Elsom is the Tahs biggest belter, he has no place in modern Rugby.

Tahs to get wasted and Elsom to get carded and delt to.

Last edited by Bronski Beat; 02-03-07 at 08:57. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Hasta la vista Pam

Champion
    vCash
    elsom is in my view an awesome flanker. he plays how u are taught to. onthe borderline of breaking the rules. however since he is not richie 'he look at me ref im onside iswear' mccaw he more often then not gets penalised. in his own words aggresion is an action and anger is a reaction

Iris
    It's all a bit of fun, I don't really want to see too much brawling, just want to see a good game! A bit of cheekiness is OK in my books though!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "How Zen Rocky, you're still going to the reaction bin!"

He reacts too often pruc.
    I like much about Rocky and he has calmed down a bit in the last year but being a good player isn't just the good things you do, it's the whole package and the ability to stay on the paddock and not to disadvantage your team by being a man down.
    You are no good to anyone sitting on the sideline.
    If he is getting caught (which he is) then he needs to look at his game rather than his quotable quotes.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Same all round me thinks, Iris...

vCash
    We need the mongrel. Encourage the mongrel. I want to see biffo every 10 minutes. But leave a little something in the tank for the Kiwis.

To the extreme !

vCash
    I'm with you on the mongrel... Biff, although entertaining, is for amateurs - the adrenaline is better used on the game than the oppositions face...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast