Thread: The Curse Of Expectation

vCash

The Curse Of Expectation

Gday All,
    Well over the last few days I have sat back and read through a myriad of posts regarding the Western Forces loss to the lines and well what can i say the passion is alive and well!!!!
    I have read some great passionate posts backing our boys all the way and I have also read some passionate posts criticising everything from the coach to the players to the so called Home Ground Hoodoo!!!!

Well I think this is absolutely fantastic as it shows our boys are on fire, "THE CURSE OF EXPECTATION" has risen its ugly head!!!! This just goes to show what a great season we are having when every supporter expects our boys to win what a difference from last season when we were all just hoping they will be competitive in games....

I think everyone needs to have a look at our sides performance and be proud of our boys we are 2-2 and both our losses have been by 1 point now that is nothing to be sneezed at... Although we now expect our boys to win every time they run out on the Pitch do to some great coaching and performances from young and up an coming stars I feel it is easy to get carried away..

This Team is a year and a bit old and still developing as a team and that cannot be understated... However the future looks bright blue and for seasons to come with the continued progress the Western Force have made will be not only a force in australian rugby but a force in Super14 Rugby!!!

Anyhow just throwing my two cents out there if you dont like it feel free to throw it right back!!!

Have A Nice DAY

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great post Callan, well put mate
    Here's to many years of success ahead from the foundations being laid in the "three year plan"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I suspect that some "let of steam" here after a close loss such as Saturday and hope that some of the others can provide answers or saw something that they missed to explain things

But SWR your're right we have become quite passionate and want to see more from the lads this season than a couple of good trys in the game - perhaps we want to much - I'm still trying to figure out who they actually should beat - second season out they can't beat everyone - but of course I do want them to beat everyone !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Great post Callan, you hit the nail on the head with that one. I think some people are a little pre-occupied with a winning mentality and don't appreciate the lengthy process and build-up required to create a successful franchise. In the long run our team will dominate and its these early years that ultimately creates the strong foundation for this.

vCash
    None of this "one year plan", then "two year plan", then "three year plan" stuff, then "four year plan" stuff! Force fans expect nothing less than a 2007 Subiaco home final. Afterall, we are the best right?! We can start by taking out curlybeal and beating the Marditahs.

No pressure or anything though guys!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's right Goldie, there is none of that, it's been a three year plan from the day Mitch was appointed and he has maintained that right the way through.
    While some would argue tha takes the pressure off '06 & '07 performances, by the same token it fairly puts the blowtorch on Mitch and the squad in '08 to put up or shut up.
    I am more than happy to wait for year three for the fireworks to start, even at the expense of any home wins till then, because once we click there will be no stopping the Force for years!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Gee, I dunno. I just expect guys who are professionals to play like it. Enough with the aimless kicking and the disjointed attack. Our attack should be precise, clinical and razor sharp.

To the extreme !

Rookie
    vCash
    As I have written in previous posts, I think it is always going to take time to gel with a group of players (even though a majority are in their 2nd season with the Force), especially as they didnt have all that much time training together this year before the start fot he season.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, the ARC will have a huge influence on that for next year with the bulk of the team continuing to play together while the handful of Wallabies are away/out.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Great Post Callan

I agree with all you said - However I might add that it is important for the force to at least win a game at home - and soon.
    I think also that even though we are still in development phase most of the issues we face with skill errors seem to be coming from the more experienced players in the squad.

Fingers crossed against the hurricanes

vCash
    Excellently put Callan, top shelf mate...And, i agree with you Freo pete, a win sooner rather than later at home will stoke the fire in the belly better than anything, so come on boys, dig deep and cane the canes....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice
    Gee, I dunno. I just expect guys who are professionals to play like it. Enough with the aimless kicking and the disjointed attack. Our attack should be precise, clinical and razor sharp.

here here!

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

Rookie
    vCash
    BTW, how is the numbers for Rugby in the South West??

vCash
    Going Alright Lock we are starting a junior rugby compe down here this year which is looking promising with about 80 kids invloved + a SW colts side who will be playing in perth metro comp have bout 20 boys so far for that. Seniors is looking ok we may go back to a 3 team comp this year with bunbury unable at this stage to field a SW side with their commitment to two perth sides. But overall things not looking too bad at all.

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great work Callan, keep it going

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.