Poll: The 2011 Rugby World Cup will be hosted by New Zealand

Thread: And the winner is....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

And the winner is....

And the winner is not rugby.
    Congratulations to New Zealand on winning the right to host the 2011 World Cup, as reported it indeed is probably their last chance to independantly host the Cup.
    The predictions for full stadia are hardly suprising with some of their parks little better than big club grandstands and I feel that 2011 will not be an easy one to get match tickets.
    That said however I feel it to be an extreemley weak decision by the IRB that harks back to the conservative roots of rugby governing bodies around the world.
    The prime opportunity was given to showcase our great sport in the biggest possible growth area and quite simply our leaders have knocked on under pressure.
    The attached article sums up the situation really well in my opinion.

Japan snub 'growth blow'
    By Jim Morton in Dublin
    November 18, 2005

AUSTRALIA Rugby Union boss Gary Flowers believes the 2011 World Cup verdict has blown an important chance to grow the game globally

Flowers has congratulated bid winner New Zealand but feels the decision to overlook Japan represents a chance wasted.

Spearheaded by Prime Minister Helen Clark and All Blacks skipper Tana Umaga, New Zealand's bid team pipped Japan in a three-way contest which also featured South Africa.

It was an upset victory as Japan and South Africa were the joint favourites entering International Rugby Board voting here today (AEST).

The ARU, which had two votes out of 19 in the first round, supported Japan in both phases of voting.

South Africa was knocked out in the opening round.

Flowers said the ARU supported the Japanese bid with a view to see the game grow internationally.

"I've got no doubt New Zealand will put on a first-rate World Cup," he said.

"It will mean a lot to their country, but foremost thinking in our mind was the global growth of the game.

"I think in the short-term, obviously an opportunity's been missed but the fact Japan polled so strongly, it's given them a good impetus in the future."
    Flowers said the fact Japan boasts the second largest economy in the world, is the fifth-largest country in rugby player numbers and Asia represented 60 per cent of this planet's population, also was reason enough to get behind the bid.

"That was very much in our thinking in terms that World Cup is the jewel in the crown of rugby and it was a good opportunity to grow our game," he said.

"It may be a missed opportunity but that's the way the votes fell."

He said it means the No.1 world-ranked All Blacks, hoping to secure their second World Cup victory in 2007 in France, will be even tougher to beat in 2011.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Disappointment for the Game in general. Would be good for the expansion of the game if the RWC 2011 was hosted in Japan. Oh well at least NZ can guarantee many sell out games!

vCash
    I'm glad it's in NZ. I hope they are on tv here. I'd love to see the tradition, and fan excitement.

vCash
    Have America qualified for the RWC 2007?

Rookie
    vCash
    What a shame that Japan didn't get chosen. Don't get me wrong, but I can't see a world cup in New Zealand boosting participation rates or corporate investment.

According to the IRB's website, "The Rugby World Cup (RWC) is the financial engine which drives the development of the game world-wide"...I think it might have done a little more development in Asia!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs down

check out the HG.com Comment over at heavensgame here - I agree with everything they have to say...

Why new zealand? Whats the point?? We all know they can play rugby, but that far from makes it the ideal host for a World Cup. Its probably the most geographically and temporally distant place to host a world cup!

Sure they will do a good job of it, and all that see it will probably be impressed. But more people would have seen it in Japan, more people would be impressed and more people will want to see more of it again. It isn't necessarily bad for the game, but was the decision good for it?

OK, I've had my say, so ...

Congratulations New Zealand!!
    Roll on RWC 2011

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Prospect
    vCash
    I really wanted Japan, would have been huge for the game. But best of luck to the Kiwis. Have you seen this sotroy on the bid for 2011, I almost wet myself!!! www.theeastterrace.com

Rookie
    vCash
    LarryNJ would also like to see where i'm destined to retire to!

(So much paperwork involved. geesh!)

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JPS
    I really wanted Japan, would have been huge for the game. But best of luck to the Kiwis. Have you seen this sotroy on the bid for 2011, I almost wet myself!!! www.theeastterrace.com
    That was a serious article wasn't it?

Thanks for the link JPS, and a big welcome to TWF! One good thing about being in NZ is that there is more chance of being able to make it over there to catch a game or two

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS
    That would have to be the most ridiculous article I've read in a long time!
    Why how could the expansion of Rugby be a bad thing??

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome JPS, look forward to hearing more from you and hope you enjoy the forums.
    You may like to tell us a bit about yourself or your rugby experience through the Intros or Public Bar section of the General Forums?

Coach etal, I trust the full article was read? www.theeastterrace.com/worldcupjapan.asp
    A couple of s words come to mind, not sure which is more relevant, sarcasm and satire, I might go and look them up...