Thread: Shepherd admirers flocking to see

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Shepherd admirers flocking to see

Shepherd admirers flocking to see

By Tim Clarke
    February 23, 2007

AFTER starting the Super 14 season hoping to make it impossible for selectors to ignore him, Western Force wing Cameron Shepherd now has the eyes of the entire competition on him.

Shepherd goes into round four against the Lions at Subiaco on Saturday night (AEDT) as Super 14's most prolific scorer, with 44 points in three games and an almost flawless kicking record.

A 17-point haul against the Stormers followed by a 25-point blitz against the Bulls last weekend caught the eyes of everyone - including the Lions' Andre Pretorius.

"To pick up two wins in South Africa is impressive, especially the victory over the Bulls at Loftus. They are looking a very complete side,'' Pretorius said.

"Cameron Shepherd has been very good with his kicking, so we will have to watch our discipline and also ensure we nail our own kicks.''

Much pre-season debate concerned where Shepherd would fit in John Mitchell's new look backline, following the arrival of Drew Mitchell at full back.

Shepherd admitted he has since been driven by a desire to make himself 'undroppable'.

"It was one of those things when saw it could be an option this year, where I may miss out on the fullback spot, and obviously it was disappointing,'' Shepherd said.

"That being said, I just made it a goal of mine to play good football this year, and make it impossible for them not to pick me.

"As far as I am concerned as long as I am playing good footy, I should give them no reason not to give me a shot.''

Playing on the left wing, Shepherd has been outstanding, with two tries and an imperious boot driving the side onto two impressive wins in South Africa.

And while crediting Australia kicking coach Ben Perkins and Force counterpart Daryl Halligan with his great kicking form, Shepherd is reluctant to admit his excellence for fear of hexing himself.

"I am trying to talk it down actually because I am little bit worried I am going to jinx myself for the next few games,'' Shepherd said.

Although the bookies have the Force hot favourites ($1.20) to break its home town duck against the Lions, Shepherd says he sees the visitors as a huge threat.

"They aren't afraid to throw the ball around. That is going to be a major thing, and out wide we are going to have a lot on our hands defensively,'' Shepherd said.

"I am actually very surprised at (the odds) ... of the three games we have played we rate this as our hardest challenge to date.''

And Lions coach Eugene Eloff said as with the Force, his player's belief was slowing increasing.

"The players are beginning to realise if they do the basics well, they can win some (big) games. They are beginning to believe,'' Eloff said.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    sheps hasnt seen my odds.....$1.18...

bet early....bet big...bet often

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!