Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby league Reds are back, on war footing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rugby league Reds are back, on war footing

League always has been and almost certainly always will remain the poor cousin to Union in Western Australia but best wishes to the boys as they build up to an assualt on those darstedly Eastern Staters!!!
    I always like that Western Red logo too so great to see they have retained a similar logo!

Rugby league Reds are back, on war footing

8th February 2007, 8:30 WST
    Dave Hughes, West Australian

Western Reds might be gone from rugby league but the WA Reds are on the way in.

WA Rugby League chief Geoff Baldwin last night revealed the name of the local team to enter the secondtier Jim Beam Cup next year as part of a long-range plan to restore a Perth side to the National Rugby League.

Baldwin said the Reds name had been retained because the public automatically associated it with rugby league, and local followers of the sport associated it with unfinished business.

He revealed that the logo of the new team was based on that of the old Western Reds.

The intention was for the Reds to be back in the national competition by 2012.

“Coincidentally, the name WA Reds results in an acronym of ‘war’ and for the new team it is appropriate as we embark on a full and measured assault on the eastern seaboard to bring WA back into the national spotlight of rugby league,” he said.

“Five years ago we started the journey back to the NRL. Our initial goals were to develop a strong local competition and become financially secure, and that’s done.

“Now we’re into stage two, to form a WA team and improve to the point we can present to the NRL a case they can’t argue against.”

The new team’s head coach, Chris Dever, and conditioning coach Matt Fuller are former Western Reds players and have launched a development program to get local players up to speed for next year’s entry into the NSW-based competition.

The Sydney Roosters sent a contingent of NRL players, including Brad Fittler and captain Craig Fitzgibbon, to help kick off the new side at last night’s launch.

WARL general manager Bill Nosworthy recently returned from a recruiting trip which netted former North Queensland Cowboys player Michael Fairweather.

Nosworthy also persuaded eight players who had represented WA at junior level to return home, including Newtown premier grade player Ryan Dixon, South Sydney under-19 member Jacob Buck and Jamie Lamaro, who played for Central Coast in the Jim Beam Cup.

“The local clubs have been doing a lot of recruiting themselves and there will be at least 20 players from other States playing in our competition this year in the hope of breaking into the Reds,” Nosworthy said.

Former Brisbane, Canberra and Cronulla player Darren Matt was on the verge of committing to Perth when he got a lucrative one-year deal to play in Wales.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    League leaves me cold. Could'nt give a rats bottom! and by the way how about a rectangular stadium for us, before bringing that sport here.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    got to agree LH, i cant get my head around having to give the ball back to the other team, STRANGE!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "That sport" is already here Petals
    For me it floats somewhere between the Eagles and round ball....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    For me it floats somewhere between the Eagles and round ball....[/QUOTE]

and just above chess!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I hate league, but the WARL are a very professional organisation who are always looking to promote the sport. The Jim Beam Cup shall be very interesting in 2008 and the sort of crowds they get to MES.

Chris

vCash
    Well.. There goes the neighbourhood.

vCash
    I have a Western Reds hat somewhere lol

I'm a league tragic ;-)

vCash
    I dont know, between giving the ball back and those farcical scrums I mean why even bother...

vCash
    I think it's just a matter of preference. Some people enjoy League more because it's faster paced and the whistle doesn't dominate the game.

The scrums used to be contested, but I agree now they are a joke.

vCash
    I've never got into the league thing, but good luck to em, but it didnt work the first time :s is there much of a following in WA for League anyways? meow

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    That Mungo president johnny is whistling in the dark.You had your chance, baby, and you blew it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea
    League leaves me cold. Could'nt give a rats bottom! and by the way how about a rectangular stadium for us, before bringing that sport here.

You clearly have a problem mate? That sport you refer to happens to be the best sport on God's earth, show some respect son!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    League always has been and almost certainly always will remain the poor cousin to Union in Western Australia...
    How did you work that out? Its news to me.

League has been here since 1946 when a host of union clubs switched to the faster code.

Please do some research before you make ill remarks like thae above. League could easily become WA's second strongest sport, unless of course union would use their old antics and try and prevent that?

http://www.rl1908.com/Clubs/Western-Reds-Perth.htm

Last edited by KalgoorlieRed; 25-02-07 at 17:37. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Brave words on a rugby forum, KR But, good luck to you and the "new" team. If nothing else, I hope the Reds provide yet another reason - if we ever needed it - to get a decently sized rectangular stadium built here sooner rather than later.

I used to watch League under the influence of old friends, but can't get back into it after switching to rugby. It just isn't the contest that rugby is, IMO.

Champion
    vCash
    sorry kalgoorlie red but look at the numbers union has more. league will never be as big as union perth they did have there chance and it didnt happen. not saying i dont like league because i was thinking of playing this year. but union is always going to be bigger. due to the expats of the uk, sa and nz. aswell as the culture we hav built up here. correct me if i wrong but a few years ago league was struggling to have a competition because of the folding of clubs ie. applecross?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast