Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Latest on the stadium issue

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

Latest on the stadium issue

The Town of Vincent presented two MES stadium options to the The Stadium Task Force on Monday. They were asked to prepare a presentation last December for a brand new 35,000 seater stadium to be built at MES. This new stadium will be designed to have a rectangular pitch to international rugby sizing criteria. However, it appears from the article written in today’s West that Vincent have presented a staged development option of the existing MES facilities as well. This would be 22,500 then 25,000 then to 32,500. I guess that that would mean we would eventually get the final stage completed in the 3rd millennium.

Vincent seems to be pushing the staged option because they are concerned the brand new stadium option may be too pricey for the government. Mmmmmm.

Anyway, on a brighter note, the AFL commission have taken a sneaky back door approach to Mr Carpenter and presented to him their option to develop Subiaco to a 60,000 seater stadium for less than $400M. This will involve knocking down all of the stands apart from the eastern stand. As the article in the West suggests the cost they have presented is a bit on the conservative side. To build a brand new stadium is being touted at about $1 Billion plus. Go figure that one. In addition, the AFL commission has refused to reveal their financials for Subiaco even though they are asking for public money to build. Pretty damn cheeky if you ask me.

Even though I disagree with there tactics and their lack of disclosure, I wish them all the best as it may help us get our stadium if they convince Carpenter that he can save money with this option.

I don't know how the Task Force will view this as the Subiaco proposal, apparently, has not been presented to them as yet. If I was John Langoulant I would be pretty peeved with the AFL commission but I guess it's Carpenter that makes the final decision and he holds the purse strings.

From all of this I feel that we may have taken a step closer to our dream of getting a brand new 35,000 seater stadium....here's hoping.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    30k last weekend in only our second season and still without a home win, 37k Round 1 2006...yep nice work Vincent, 22.5, 25 & 32.5k is an "outstanding" suggestion. I guess when they only allow 200 into a pub then we shouldn't be too surprised....
    A 40k rectangular stadium or kill the code in WA and the blood will be on Langoulant and Carpenters hands, simple as that.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Is there someone out there with a list of capacities for all the other Super 14 grounds? I'd be interested to see how the staged MES fits in with that. I'd prefer a sell-out 25k capacity every week to a 40k capacity that's 2/3 full. We need to create an intimidating & passionate atmosphere for the opposition players & that will come from every nook & cranny being filled with fans not empty seats.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Alright if you're one of the 25k JK, different story if you are just arriving in WA and a mad keen Rugby man/woman wanting to take your kids to the Rugby but having to join a five year waiting list...
    I appreciate your points re atmosphere but we must see the code and crowds grow in WA and once whatever the stadium is is built then that is what we will have for the next 30-50 years.
    Fill the sidelines, then the ends from the sideline up, the atmosphere will be there.
    Unless someone else gets in first I'll have a dig around for the other stadia capacities.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The other problem with that is Internationals - We have had some good ones in the past 3 years i.e. Ireland, Sth Africa, England etc.. - a 25K stadium won't provide a break even for those events so we will be stuck with going back to Suby for Internationals etc..

Would love to see the Suby accounts - they must be creaming it at the moment - force home games, Docker Home games , Eagles and the odd Robbie Williams concert - there's money out there

Here's my plan - redevelop the Waca for rectangular games and put the cricket in subi - then make subi accountable for upgrading gradually to a 50K stadium (the eagles and dockers don't get much more than 42K at a match)
    problem solved

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Senior Player
    vCash
    All major Rugby games will be played at the 60,000 venue.

The Enforcer where did you get the info about the AFL Commission putting their nose into build it?

Or was that told to you by someone in the know?

vCash
    Page 10 of todays west covers it pretty well...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Rightio, I will buy the paper today then.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Stadium Capacities for Super 14 2007 (as listed on www.worldstadiums.com )

Australia:

Brumbies: Canberra Stadium (24,647)
    Reds: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (52,579)
    Waratahs: Aussie Stadium (42,500)
    Western Force: Subiaco Oval (42,922)

New Zealand:

Blues: Eden Park, Auckland, (45,472)
    Chiefs: Rugby Park, Hamilton (27,500)
    Crusaders: Jade Stadium, Christchurch (36,500)
    Highlanders: Carisbrook, Dunedin (30,000)
    Hurricanes: Westpac Trust Stadium, Wellington (34,500)

South Africa:

Bulls: Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria (51,762)
    Cheetahs: Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein (36,538.)
    Lions: Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg (59,611)
    Sharks: Kings Park, Durban (55,000)
    Stormers: Newlands, Cape Town (50,900)

In Order:

Lions: Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg (59,611)
    Sharks: Kings Park, Durban (55,000)
    Reds: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (52,579)
    Bulls: Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria (51,762)
    Stormers: Newlands, Cape Town (50,900)
    Blues: Eden Park, Auckland, (45,472)
    Western Force: Subiaco Oval (42,922)
    Waratahs: Aussie Stadium (42,500)
    Cheetahs: Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein (36,538.)
    Crusaders: Jade Stadium, Christchurch (36,500)
    Hurricanes: Westpac Trust Stadium, Wellington (34,500)
    Stage III Members Equity (32,500)
    Highlanders: Carisbrook, Dunedin (30,000)
    Chiefs: Rugby Park, Hamilton (27,500)
    Stage II Members Equity (25,000)
    Brumbies: Canberra Stadium (24,647)
    Stage I Members Equity (22,000)
    Current Members Equity (17,288.)

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Burgs - as always, you're a wealth of knowledge & my initial views that 25k or 30k would put us up there in terms of stadium capacity have been well and truly corrected. As Perth & WA increase in population (I would guess that the majority of new 'migrants' would be from rugby playing nations), the increased capacity is paramount. At the very least, we should have a Subi Oval capacity in a rectangular stadium but built in such a way that stands can be increased in a cost-effective manner in the future.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The only argument you might be able to mount (and I'm not, just suggesting someone else may) is that it seems the bigger the stadium the poorer the success of the team!
    Lions 59,611 v Brumbies 24,647

Totally agree with your second two sentences JK

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    LOL - Burgs!
    Interesting to see NZ only comes in 6th place in terms of ground capacity and it has never really been a problem... Auckland has a population similar to Perth and the 45K capacity of Eden Park makes for an ideal environment for all...
    Perhaps a 45K rectangular ground would be spot on for Perth ??
    All I wish for - for the sake of the game and momentum in Perth that it happens ASAP cos Subi is an embarrassment!

vCash
    Yeah, agreed. 40K+ otherwise its just a short sighted waste of time and money.
    But agree with JK that they should just design it to allow for the easy addition of more seats in the future, if they can whak a retractable roof and retractable ground into them, then surely making it easy to add seats should be achievable!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Suncorp is the best place I've watched Rugby in Australia so far!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    The AFL Commission have to be the cheekiest, most presumptious bunch of mendicants on the face of the Earth. If the State Government had the gonads of an emasculated gnat it would send them packing, legislate back control of Subiaco (which its predecessors had no right or authority to give away in the first place), place the control of the taxpayer owned facility in the hands of a Gov/ all interested party Trust, demolish the existing facility, and build something that suits the needs of all payer/users.
    That the Wankers of the AFL should have the unmitigated gall to stand over the WA Goverment is obscene, and that the Wankers in the WA Government should think that that is perfectly acceptable is even worse.
    I have been a Labor supporter all my life, but if they think they can govern for the benefit of a small elitist proportion of the WA electorate for the exclusive benefit of those arsewipes, they have sadly misjudged the mood of this little black duck, and I suspect, many others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast