Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Mitchel Has FAITH!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Britz raring to go

c/o Stormers website; Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Gerrie Britz is set to return to the Vodacom Stormers starting XV for Friday night’s Vodacom Super 14 match against the Western Force at Newlands (kick-off 18:00).

Britz was not in the 22-man squad for last weekend’s pipe-opener in Bloemfontein against the Cheetahs. The stomach ailment suffered by Selborne Boome, who started alongside Andries Bekker, and Ross Skeate’s ankle injury opened the door for the Springbok to return.

Not that the big man was too perturbed when he wasn’t named in the squad.

“No, I was not stressed at all. We have a nice big squad and Kobus (van der Merwe) assured all of us that we would get enough game time during the season. He would make use of the squad system,” he said on Wednesday.

“But it is nice to be back, although I knew I would get my chance some time.” The promising Francois van der Merwe is due for a call-up to the substitutes’ bench.

Britz was in the Springbok touring squad for the end-of-year tour last season and played as replacement flank in the final test against England at Twickenham.

Van der Merwe said the Stormers are fortunate to have players such as Britz and Van der Merwe in their squad. “Gerrie has a lot to prove before the World Cup tournament later this year.”

Britz injured his shoulder in the warm-up match between two Stormers sides in Bellville and thus missed the friendly against the Bulls in Pretoria. He was in the “B” side that played against a Boland selection in Paarl in the final warm-up match.

He is nevertheless happy with his physical condition. “It is going well, we’ve worked hard during the off-season and I am happy with my conditioning.”

The 28-year-old former Cheetah star said he was aware of the pressure on the tight five after the display in Bloemfontein. “I understand that one cannot say anything after a performance such as that one.

“I didn’t play against the Cheetahs, but the only thing one could do is put up your hand and give the backline good ball to play with.”

Britz said the World Cup doesn’t even feature in his mind at the moment. “I don’t even think about that now. I don’t think it is your right to play for the Boks, it is a privilege. My first aim is to play decent rugby for the Stormers.”

Britz played lock and flank at the highest level and he reckons his versatility is a bonus for the team he represents. “It helps and it is good for me and the team,” he said.

“I played flank and lock at test level and it gives the coach the benefit of selecting one forward less and an extra back, because I cover two positions.”

Britz on 19 January became the proud father of a baby daughter Mieke-Louise and he is enjoying every minute of being a dad, he said.

“It changes one’s life somewhat. It is a big privilege to become a dad, although we sleep a little less at night! It is very enjoyable though and now I have extra motivation in that I have a family to take care off. That means you need to perform.”

And perform is exactly what he intends doing against the Force on Friday night. He doesn’t expect the Force to be meek and mild though.

“I think they will come with a very physical approach. They have a good, young backline who are not scarce to use the width of the field.

“That is why we gave attention to our defence again this week to get some width on defence. They will come for us, that is for sure.”

This is the Stormers first home game of the season and Britz expects a great atmosphere at Newlands.

“I hope people are going to come out and support us. People shouldn’t panic too much after last weekend’s result. Look at the Bulls.

“They played in the semis last season and also had a poor performance first up. If we can win well this weekend, we could be in the middle of the log.

“Maybe it is a good thing that we got a good wake-up call early in the season. If we win decently on Friday night, it could become a really good season,” Britz concluded.

The Vodacom Stormers team will be announced on Thursday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Did anyone happen to notice how many minutes into his comeback game it took for Burger to get a yellow?
    Good to see he is back to his old self. Couldn't have been more than 5-10 mintues into the first half and he was having a rest for 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    I actually laughed when i saw him being given his marching orders, what a wanker...I reckon he is a liability for the Boks, how often has he received a card in international or super14 game, i reckon he would be near the top...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably as many as Rocky.....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Ch9 news - Sir Mitch anknowleged that fans running out of patience - also that the game would be won or lost in the breakdown - which he descibed as a warzone at the moment

Hopefully our forwards become more warlike - I'm missing the mayor

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    To be honest, I get a little worried about how worried they get about their supporters. I'd rather they were looking ahead at what they have in front of them instead of looking at the support base behind them - that should be taken as read. Our best efforts aside, they still seem concerned about the commitment of their supporters and I'm sure their awareness of last weeks high expectations were a millstone with 20 to go. Like many (and I'm sure most here), I'm behind these guys regardless - I don't know how we make them comfortable with that. I will still reserve the right to piss and moan as I see fit, but it is never an indication of weakening support.

vCash
    Good post AndyS, as supporters we must not lose the faith and need to support our boys through thick n thin.

When Mitch took control last year he said that it would be a three year process to make the team into a winning one, he has already made them very competitive.

With a number of new signings and only two warm up matches this year, last year we had three, it will take time to get us all operating as one.

Each year the New Zealand teams start slowly and build up into formidable opponents as the season goes on, with a Kiwi coach I am sure the same will happen with us and by the end of the year we will have a more than a few teams concerned about playing us next year when we reach our peak.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nice work Andy and Tazz

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sound comments.....we're behind the win, lose or draw (bloody video ref!).....I just hope the rest of the crowd & supporters can follow our lead and give them our full support next time they're in Perth.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2