Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shepherd for Full Back

vCash

Shepherd for Full Back

That must have been one of the most woeful displays of Rugby I have ever seen. John please Shepherd for full back the guy had an awesome season thier last year and Drew Mitchells performance was just plain embarissing! With basic balls being dropped or not even attempted to be caught.

Are we up for another year of gritty forward play and shoddy backlines.

On a good note Git's had pretty good debut for the force - Cross seemed to keep getting isolated in my mind and not off loading the ball in the tackle.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    God I hope no one that has been defending Henjak comes on here bagging Mitchell. He played one game, albeit very badly.

It was his first game, he'll get better. Although I agree he should be on the wing with Sheps at fullback.

vCash
    Dont get me wrong Sage I think he is a talented player but after shepherd had such a great season at full back and against a team that the Force really should have beaten it was an ordinary display. And definetly its his first game for us but he's not new to super rugby...

Why not drew at wing? I thought Gits preformed well in both centre and at five eight.

vCash
    Absolutely, I would have made that call after Mitchell and 'dorf couldn't decide who was going to catch the high ball (about Mitchell's 4th or 5th unforced error, 7 all up apparently). I would have swapped them out then and there.

vCash
    Unfortunately Drew had to pick the first game of the season to have a bad day. Both Drew and Shepherd are very good full backs.

vCash
    You have to adapt if someone's having a bad day though. Mitchell (John) seems to be the kinda guy that maintains faith, which is admirable in some ways.... All I'm gonna say is that I would have made a mid game positional change.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sage......are those stats published anywhere?? I would love to see them for the games but the only published stats you see are the basic of trys,conv,pens etc

vCash
    I'll try to find where I read that, it was part of an article.

-EDIT-

Twas in the article that MG posted.

http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=5941

Last edited by Sagerian; 05-02-07 at 09:59.

vCash
    Well if you put into context the overall level of the opposition as well the back line faired pretty miserably. The Highlanders are not the best of the NZ teams and they were at less then full strength the Force should have been able to put them away. Even with a few debuts out there the backline should have rallied to play some penertrating rugby, the ball went through the hands a few times but often without breaking the advantage line.

As a whole the backline needed to step up So maybe sage is right a mid game shuffle perhapes 10 mins into the 2nd half might have made a difference - there is certainly some depth in the backs now.

I thought Henjack had a servicable game and Hilgendorf palyed well again Gits was one of the few shinning lights but the Force failed to make those breaks, and the kick returns from Drew were not inspired an opportunity wasted.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I've seen that one (7 unforced errors) published somewhere...

The SARugby SIte has some very detailed player stats HERE

None for this season yet, but 2006 is all there for reflection...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Fully agree..............with the title of the thread!

Woo - hoo now I'm a Rookie!

Last edited by WF2006; 05-02-07 at 10:20. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    I think we need to buy Stirling Mortlock as well.

vCash
    I actually think Drew is a pretty good winger and certainly deserves another run (these guys cost too much to just sit on the bench) but why put Staniforth and Sheppard on the wing? Sheppherd was a great full back why fix what isn't broke & Staniforth was one of Australias better centres of last years super Rugby.

Drew has a proven track record at Wing let him have a run there his pace is handy. The problem is that the Force is not getting over the advantage line and certainly not with any real plan.

And didn't the lineouts go to pot once Brendon left the field.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would personally prefer to see Shepherd at FB, with Mitchell providing speed on the wing. We really need someone who can get to the fall of the ball, and at the moment no-one seems to be seriously challenging the catcher or kicker. I also thing Staniforth should be swapped with Cross to give the new boy time to adjust and learn the position.

BUT... I am not John Mitchell, I don't get to see what he sees at training and, while I may not necessarily understand his selections, I am damn sure he knows his job and is working on more information than me. I'm not sure he will be that harsh on Mitchell either - his night was so bad, it was obviously just one of those times when the f***up fairy showed up and turned him into Edward Penisfingers. I'm certain everyone who ever played sport has had a similar experience, but for most of us it isn't played out in front of 30,000 people and the national coach. Mustn't he feel special at the moment..?

The backs were disorganised, but I think there is a definite element of "getting to know you" involved - Giteau would make a break, and our lads seemed more surprised than anyone on the Highlanders side. That'll pass, I just hope to God it's soon. My biggest concern however was the tackle and breakdown - despite all the talk about how much time they had put into it and how important it is, it didn't seem any better than it was last year. If they don't sort that out, retain possession and get clean ball, we will be lucky to do much better this year than last.

Sorry to be such a joy germ, but I feel better for venting.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Great post Andy, you summed the game up beautifully.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast