Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crouch, touch, pause and engage?

vCash

crouch, touch, pause and engage?

Im in two minds to the new rule whats everyone else think?

Obviously it's there for saftey but the majority of the games I saw on the weekend it was just used to slow the game down... And whats with the no rucking anymore how the hell are you supposed to move the player on the ball?

Is this going to filter down to the weekend warrior rugby too?

Sorry guys I have now seen this is being discussed elsewhere my bad.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Nick; 06-02-07 at 13:41. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    crouch touch engage should be sufficient - or depower the scrums fullstop ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I think everyone is forgetting that it is the first week of the season coming off an abbreviated off season... The Crouch Touch Hold Engage thing adds an extra 5 seconds to a scrum and its not the reason for so many resets, the resets would be because its the first week of the season. I remember watching the first 2 rounds last year thinking that everyone had gone backwards skill wise, it will all turn around and very quickly I would imagine.

As for the rule I think that it does very little to depower the scrum, from what I saw on the weekend the good scrums were still able to get a decent hit and send the opposition backwards, so I think its a good thing. Now if they just changed the wheeling of the scrum rule there would be even less resets!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    as i said before the touch is more of a messuring stick approach to help with stopping overextended forwards fallin on there heads/faces it shouldnt take any power away from the initial hit or the techical ability of the tighty

Last edited by RuckNMaul; 07-02-07 at 13:04.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent
    I think everyone is forgetting that it is the first week of the season coming off an abbreviated off season... The Crouch Touch Hold Engage thing adds an extra 5 seconds to a scrum and its not the reason for so many resets, the resets would be because its the first week of the season. I remember watching the first 2 rounds last year thinking that everyone had gone backwards skill wise, it will all turn around and very quickly I would imagine.

As for the rule I think that it does very little to depower the scrum, from what I saw on the weekend the good scrums were still able to get a decent hit and send the opposition backwards, so I think its a good thing. Now if they just changed the wheeling of the scrum rule there would be even less resets!
    Yep, I agree Rodent.

It will take time for the props (a) adjust and (b) figure out what tactics will work to gain the upper hand from the new engagement procedure. (The coaches might also help figure this out as well...)

So, once they have played a few games under the new laws, we'll then see how it works.

vCash
    Ok well I'll keep my eyes open and hopefully we'll see an improvement over the ensuing games in the scrums.

Any takers on the toughening up of the rucking laws, theyre not letting the guys ruck they're not allowed to use theyre hands how do you get the player from lying on the ball without rucking?

vCash
    ask him nicely

rucking should be alowed if they arnt rolling away or if there lying on the ball

vCash
    The crouching and touching stuff is a bit queer, but it shouldn't stop a strong front row from dominating weaker opponents.

The anti-rucking rule is very unfortunate because it will result in a slower, more static (rugby league-like) game. What were they thinking? I think we are going to see some boring matches this year.

vCash
    Regarding "new" rucking laws:

Being an active ref in the local (Perth) community rugby comp, I can confidently say:

The season hasn't started yet. We have our pre-season seminar in a couple of weeks, at which we will be told of new (or experimental) laws. I don't expect any changes other than the scrum engagement sequence. The reason is that it is Rugby World Cup year and I reckon we'll play the existing laws until RWC and then law reviews will happen.

However rucking, as it stands now, is allowed. But rucking involves the ball, or ball and player. Never player only. So ruck away folks, just ruck according to the law.

Prospect
    vCash
    I think the scrum has only slightly been de powered with these new laws and that, the props will get around it some how anyways.

Seize the day, and the pies...That is all

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    BTW - nice sig, jesus

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky
    Regarding "new" rucking laws:

Being an active ref in the local (Perth) community rugby comp, I can confidently say:

The season hasn't started yet. We have our pre-season seminar in a couple of weeks, at which we will be told of new (or experimental) laws. I don't expect any changes other than the scrum engagement sequence. The reason is that it is Rugby World Cup year and I reckon we'll play the existing laws until RWC and then law reviews will happen.

However rucking, as it stands now, is allowed. But rucking involves the ball, or ball and player. Never player only. So ruck away folks, just ruck according to the law.

Good! A lot of things seemed to be up for change at the moment but to be honest I fell in love with the way the game was warts and all back in the amatuerism days - not that all the change has been bad - just that it'd be a shame to loose that part of the competition at the breakdown.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You haven't played a match unless you come off with some great big welts down your back & thighs and a couple of crooked knuckles....or you're a back.
    Ruck or be rucked

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I laughed during one of the games at the weekend where the ref looked at a player when he had lifted his leg about to ruck a guy out of the way and the ref shouts to him "Don't even think about it".

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm yet to watch a single replay

well....sober anyway

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast