Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Drew Mitchell the new Henjak?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Lets hope Mitchell *was* the *old* Digby and we soon see a newer version of both!

The *new* Henjak was a pleasure to see!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Well said, fulvio

vCash
    I do think that Drew had a total Barry, in fact he might deserve a bit of a faceslapping, not so much as punishment, but more to send a message to the whole team that spots are earned in every position. I don't think Crossy made the transition as well as everyone seems to think, he got himself isolated in attack frequently, and was as guilty as anyone for the backline's lacks in defence. I have nothing but praise for Gits (surprised?) and 'Yak (that's the nickname that's in the promotional material and he's beginning to earn the right to be called what he wants) the real message I got was that the team is not 'clicking' yet, what do you expect? most of these guys haven't played more than 40 minutes of real game time against an opposition of sub standard quality. whilst I thought we had the cattle to take the highlanders in 35 degrees, it looks more like we'll have to put up with the stuff we hade last season, Massive improvement every week until we hit our peak around round 6,I guarantee our peak will be much prettier than our peak last year. and we still have allour locks and centres.

C'mon the

vCash
    The problem with most wingers is that they think they should be playing fullback (speaking as an old winger myself). Mitchel looked like a winger who thinks he's a fullback - He was never in quite in the right position to take any of the high balls last night and was always tentative (a consequence of the early blunders). I think he will perform well on the wing and probably has to accept in his own mind that that is his position. He did look much better in the 2nd half.

Shep looks like a fullback and pulled a magicians move when he took the ball near the side line in the first half and some how beat 2 defenders.

Last edited by Jasper; 03-02-07 at 17:17.
    Jasper

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yes...loved that move eh Jasper....real 7's stuff....though...if he had not got away with it there would have been tears

Prospect
    vCash
    Whilst I do not like to bag a Force player it has to be said Drew Mitchell was woeful, and probably cost us the match.
    Surely Cam Shep must start at 15, Digby on the wing and Drew watching from the bench

Apprentice
    vCash
    I thought Michell had a shocker tonight - but the other mitchell played just as poorly for not replacing him at half time - or at least switching him to wing.
    What was wrong with Pelessasa on friday night?

Qld reds would have been laughing from that performance.

Im sure he will bounce back - I just hope the perth media dont eat him up before he comes good

vCash

Exclamation DREW'S Position ... roaming fullback/winger

Now I know what happened, he was just roaming around , must have been at the bar when the Highlanders kicked deep...

"roaming fullback/winger" This is actually a quote from the Force website, what sort of position is that, what is he a fullback or a winger, sounds like a perfect way to confuse a bloke

Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    I do think that Drew had a total Barry, in fact he might deserve a bit of a faceslapping, not so much as punishment, but more to send a message to the whole team that spots are earned in every position. I don't think Crossy made the transition as well as everyone seems to think, he got himself isolated in attack frequently, and was as guilty as anyone for the backline's lacks in defence. I have nothing but praise for Gits (surprised?) and 'Yak (that's the nickname that's in the promotional material and he's beginning to earn the right to be called what he wants) the real message I got was that the team is not 'clicking' yet, what do you expect? most of these guys haven't played more than 40 minutes of real game time against an opposition of sub standard quality. whilst I thought we had the cattle to take the highlanders in 35 degrees, it looks more like we'll have to put up with the stuff we hade last season, Massive improvement every week until we hit our peak around round 6,I guarantee our peak will be much prettier than our peak last year. and we still have allour locks and centres.
    These blokes are highly paid professionals not club players the clicking should have happened in the preseason training (read 'coach better prepare them') I can justify a few blunders early in the season but not every one, and so bad........not at this level, how many games do we cut them slack and wait to 'click', it's a long crawl to the top from the bottom of the ladder, a long, long crawl. We had the excuses last year now it's time for results
    Justify the pay packets, thats what the fans have to do when they go to work........

Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Let me put things straight.I wasn't at the game and I accept what seems to be the collective opinion that Mitchell had a bad game.My objection is not to people saying so, but in their saying so in a semi abusive and denigrating manner before the player has sufficient opportunity to put things right himself. One swallow doesn't make a summer. One bad game in oppressive conditions for a club he's been involved in for 5 minutes doesn't make a Wallaby "shithouse" as someone described him.
    I know we can all get upset when our team loses, and I'll admit to being the worst offender when it happens, but surely there must be some perspective in all this. Henjak was being bagged all offseason and from what I hear he put in a really good game last night. It must prove something.
    Anyway, heres to the next match and a resounding win.
    I Havn't seen any thing semi abusive?? I believe the words 'Shit House' is an expression to describe performance, the worry about the game is not that it looked like it will be a one off and we will get better but that they were way of the standard required and that it already looks like its going to be a long season.

I've seen the dockers and eagles play in those conditions early in the season and it didn't affect BASIC skills and strategy, maybe thier endurance but not the ability to catch and think...........

Last edited by Dingo20; 04-02-07 at 10:21. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Apprentice
    vCash
    Agreed he had a bad game but what was more worrying were the mistakes of last season, poor handling, and silly penalties. However much better defence.
    The thing is they are professional athletes and should be able to get the basics right more regularly than they did on Saturday. Wish I could **** up that much and get paid as much

vCash
    Did Hilgs get injured?? i didn't see i was gettin a round that took most of the first half!!! If so that curse has another victim.

I think the main problem with the boys is that they tried to score off every possesion, tried to swing it too early.... other than that hopefully the nerves have gonna and the boys will come back from South Af with a victory or 2!!

Thanks for the great memories Cannon!!! We'll miss ya!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Word is that he strained a groin muscle..and was subbed before he did any more damage.....he has travelled to South Africa...so has Daruda and Digby as backs and AJ Walley and Matt Hodgson as forwards in addition to the starting 22 from Friday night

vCash
    HEE HEE HEE. We Queensland supporters were very happy with Drew Mitchell's performance. Sorry, but no refunds. This young bloke is massively over rated and not worth the money you threw at him. In truth, he was part of Queensland's problems in the past - particularly his attitude - evidenced by his willingness not to tough it out with his mates at the Reds, but to chase $$$$$ instead. Queensland has been devasted in the last few years but is now and will continue to rebuild to the rugby powerhouse that it was, by building a strong hard pack. The force need to understand that too. Without a hard tough pack, it doesn't matter who is in your backline or how much they cost. In fact Super 14 success can be achieved with a great forward pack and an adequate backline. The force should have spent the money on tough relentless forwards, not overpaid, sissy boy backs. Get the basics right, and you may have some success.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Nothing worse than a smartarse little tic.

vCash
    unfortunatly he is too close to being correct

vCash
    Sorry boys, couldn't resist Anyway, it was a bit of satisfaction after you've been raiding our player depth for the last 2 years. But I am serious about the forward pack issue. The Force have some good players in the forwards but nowhere near enough depth. That should be the priority.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast