Thread: Tahs turn to King's men

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tahs turn to King's men

Tahs turn to King's men

By Jon Geddes, c/o Daily Telegraph/Fox Sports
    January 30, 2007

FIVE mates who played together in a crack schoolboy rugby side seven years ago have been reunited to lead the NSW Waratahs' forward assault in their opening Super 14 match against the Lions.

Young forwards Benn Robinson, Will Caldwell, Ben Hand, Dean Mumm and Tim Davidson were all members of King's School first XV which won the GPS premiership in 2000.

And in the cauldron of Ellis Park in Johannesburg on Friday night, Robinson will play prop and Caldwell and Hand are set to pack into the second-row with Davidson and Mumm on the bench.

"We have been very tight, it's good to have a few schoolmates around," Caldwell said.

"I've been with Tim since pre-school, I've only ever played one year without him.

"Benny was in the front-row then but he's grown a bit since school."

With Australia second-rowers Dan Vickerman and Al Kanaar both out injured, more responsibility falls on Caldwell's broad shoulders with a promotion to become the lineout general.

"We are going to miss Vickerman, obviously he's a world-class player and we are hoping we can make up for that with youth and enthusiasm when his experience is gone," the 24-year-old forward said.

"It's a real big challenge this year and I'm pretty excited to get stuck in. I want to cement that starting spot from week one.

"I've got a big role calling the lineout this week and I'll take that with both hands."

While the Waratahs beat the Cats - who have become the Lions - 50-3 at Aussie Stadium last year, Caldwell is not taking any notice of that result.

"We have to get off to a good start and the Cats at home are always going to to be a lot tougher than the Cats away," he said.

"We are not so much looking at last year and we are going to take it as a hard game."

While Caldwell has 11 Super 14 caps, Mumm and Hand have yet to make their debuts.

Both skipper Phil Waugh and coach Ewen McKenzie are confident they will handle the assignment.

"All the guys have done well in the trials and Will Caldwell has really stepped up in terms of calling lineouts," Waugh said.

McKenzie said this was a testing ground for the rookie forwards to show they are capable of stepping up.

"The reality is that we have got two Wallaby locks who are not going to be with us so we need those guys to come good," McKenzie said.

"We are pretty confident about all three of them making a contribution that is going to help us."

Judging by training yesterday, it also appears that Josh Valentine has won the starting halfback spot from Brett Sheehan.

And in the other hotly contested backline positions, Ben Jacobs and Morgan Turinui are set to form a new centre combination.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I hear amazing things about these GPS schools. The lifeblood of Australian rugby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    To the extreme !