Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Squad announced for Crusaders Match

vCash
    I agree but he will just ahve to go where they put him. At least he guranteed a spot with VC but i dont know why everyone thought he wouldnt be considering he was the best back best player last year. Hasnt he done his groin?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He has done his groin very slightly, nothing major at all.

He should have cemented that role at 12 last season or atleast in the centres, however I dont see why Mitchell would bother changing something that seemed to work. If anything Cross should have to start on the wing or bench, not push Staniforth back into a positions where he receives very little ball. Staniforth's strength in the tackle is one of the main reasons we need him there, a Tana/Mortlock like figure in the centre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent
    With all the talk about how deep we are in the backs we have neglected to see there is some decent competition for spots up front as well.
    The forwards were very consistent last year, and you would have to assume they will be better this year because of the experience...
    As for stanners, he is a human battering ram and has excellent defence, and will be wasted sitting on the wing, in my opinion...He has size and ability and it`ll be a shame to see this go to waste, but it seems that this is his lot as it has been with the wallabies...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I did my groin badly yesterday while kicking the gilbert with my old man. something like popped, snapped, twisted or torn in there and I had to lie down for 5 minutes before being able to stand. Went to get an X-Ray today and will see the results tomorrow... probably need a lot of physio... anyone know how long these things take to heal? It hurts like hell from the groin area all along and stops just below the hip.

Last edited by Shaun; 18-01-07 at 19:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    More on Junior from the West

Recruits up ante for Pelesasa
    18th January 2007, 12:00 WST

The January hubbub is all about glamour recruits Matt Giteau and Ryan Cross but the centre whose intercept led to the Western Force’s only Super 14 win isn’t about to surrender his spot meekly.

Irrespective of reputation or remuneration, Junior Pelesasa plans to hold on to his place in the back line and his best preparation in years has him in peak condition for tomorrow’s trial match against the Crusaders at MC Labour Park in Melbourne.

Coach John Mitchell has indicated performances against the Super 14 champions and Samoa at Members Equity Stadium next Thursday will influence the selection for the season opener, against the Highlanders at Subiaco Oval on February 2.

Last May, Pelesasa’s anticipation and skill enabled him to steal a Cheetahs’ pass, draw a defender and send Scott Staniforth in for the go-ahead try on a chilly afternoon in Kimberley. The 16-14 win remains the Force’s only Super 14 success.

“Matt Giteau will start at inside centre but the two trials will be very important in deciding who plays outside him,” revealed Pelesasa, one of the sharpest on the Perry Lakes field in last Saturday’s full-contact session against the WA academy.

The former Queenslander will compete with probable candidate Cross, new deputy captain Staniforth and Haig Sare for the right to wear the No. 13 jersey — or the No. 22 of the utility back on the bench — and says the rivalry between them is intense rather than bitter.

“We’re all mates but in the end we’re going for the starting spot,” he said. “Exciting times are coming up in the next two weeks.”

Pelesasa, 26, is one of the reasons Mitchell opted to stack his squad with backs this year. The elusive runner broke a leg against the Hurricanes in round two of 2006 and only made it back for the season-ending swing through South Africa, a significant casualty in a horror run of injuries that severely curtailed the Force’s attack.

Competing to catch the coach’s eye is a familiar routine for Pelesasa.

“At the Reds in 2005 it was Ben Tune and myself going for the 13 spot,” he said. “It’s more intense this time but it keeps you on the top of your game.”

Crusaders coach Robbie Deans has included in his team for tomorrow former Blues enforcer Rua Tipoki, suspended for 16 weeks last season for an illegal blow to the face which sent Force fly-half Jimmy Hilgendorf to hospital. The Force will name their squad today.

In other news, the Auckland Blues have defeated Queensland 38-9 in a trial match in New Zealand.

The Blues led 10-9 at the break before piling on an unanswered 28 points in the second half.

Queensland coach Eddie Jones was not worried about the lop-sided result.

"The only important score in a trial match is the halftime score,” Jones said after the game.

"We're disappointed that the score blew out in the second half but it's not end of the world."

DAVE HUGHES

Crusaders squad — Paul Williams, Scott Hamilton, Casey Laulala, Rua Tipoki, Caleb Ralph; Stephen Brett, Andrew Ellis; Jake Paringatai, Jonathan Poff, Kieran Read, Kevin O’Neill, Ross Filipo, Ben May, Ti’i Paulo, Ben Franks. Reserves: Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett, Craig Clarke, Isaac Ross, Kevin Senio, Tusi Pisi, Tim Bateman, Brent Ward, Johnny Leo’o, Michael Paterson, Mose Tuiali’i, Peter Nixon, Campbell Johnstone.

vCash
    Time for revenge boys... on Rua Tipoki

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It's a damn shame this is not televised! I'll do what I can to get a copy of the game if it's being recorded...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    When is kick off? will it be on the radio? Will we have score updates???? so many questions...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Kick off 5pm WDST (7pm in Melbourne)

No radio I know of.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I *might* be able to get a half/full time score update...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    anything planned Coach???? I am just trying to find a media box contact for the park....

vCash

Talking

So the first time we met up against the Crusaders, the final score was Crusaders 36 -def- Western Force 19. Second match was all tied up at 23 all with the Force breaking the Crusaders 2 season winning streak - whats the score going to be tonight?

Just for sake of symmetry, i'm tipping Western Force 36 -def- Crusaders 19

vCash
    Is the bookie gonna have anything to do with the game?

I want some vCash!

vCash
    A Half time and full time score would be good.

Force to win this
    Crusaders team looking very weak.
    Especially in the forwards.

Crusaders: Paul Williams, Scott Hamilton, Casey Laulala, Rua Tipoki, Caleb Ralph, Stephen Brett, Andy Ellis, Jake Paringatai, Jonathan Poff, Kieran Read (captain, first half), Kevin O'Neill, Ross Filipo, Ben May, Ti'i Paulo, Ben Franks.

Reserves: Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett, Craig Clarke, Isaac Ross, Kevin Senio, Tusi Pisi, Tim Bateman, Brent Ward, Johnny Leo'o, Michael Paterson, Mose Tuiali'i, Peter Nixon, Campbell Johnstone.

vCash
    we should be able to do better - keep an eye on this thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast