Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force to bank on Matt’s Midas touch

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Post Force to bank on Matt’s Midas touch

Rugby’s $4.5 million man, Matt Giteau, is worth every cent the Western Force pay him, insists chief executive Peter O’Meara.

The world’s highest paid rugby union player started training with the Force yesterday for the Perth team’s first Super 14 match of the season, against the Highlanders of New Zealand, at Subiaco Oval on February 2.

Giteau, 24, was lured from the ACT Brumbies by a three-year deal in which a substantial sum from a Perth-based company supplemented the payments from the Australian Rugby Union and the Force.

There is no salary cap in the code and Giteau’s annual $1.5 million package is nearly double that of Australian rugby’s next highest earner, Wallabies captain George Gregan, who collects a salary of about $800,000.

“I don’t go into salary details but we certainly haven’t paid over the odds with the amount he gets from us,” O’Meara said yesterday. “We pay a portion of his package and his agent’s done a pretty good job in lining up a corporate top-up.

“He’s the Chris Judd of the Force. Giteau, wing Drew Mitchell and rugby league convert Ryan Cross, expected to play at outside centre.

Giteau confirmed yesterday that he would wear the No. 12 jersey, despite efforts by the Wallabies hierarchy to convert him to scrum-half.

“I know where I stand. I’ll play 12 “He’s got that star quality and players like him are not easy to come by.

“He’s very important to our future planning, on and off the field.”

The Force battled through much of their first season in 2006 with a back line too easily contained, hence the recruitment of inside centre and if needed, I can switch to 10 (flyhalf),” he said.

Giteau admitted his salary brought with it the pressure to perform.

“The big thing is not to try to justify it by doing too much,” he said. “I can’t overplay my hand. I’ve got to find where I fit in and develop backline combinations during training.”

Giteau indicated the Force had the depth to climb from 13th — they had one win and two draws last season — to the top six.

“We’ll have a finals spot in the back of our minds,” he said.

O’Meara also expects a considerable improvement this year.

“Matt’s got that individual brilliance that creates a lot more penetration that will hopefully lead to more wins and therefore more fans through the gate,” he said.

“He’ll bring people to rugby, for sure. It’s exciting when he touches the ball and he’ll attract a following among the kids especially.”

The Force will play an intrasquad match at Perry Lakes on Saturday and a friendly against the Crusaders in Melbourne on Friday week, but Giteau is likely to be saved for the team’s final pre-season game, against Western Samoa at Members Equity Stadium on January 25.

DAVE HUGHES
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=18185

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    well done to Dave Hughes and the West for at least getting a Rugby pic on the back page....

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I actually bought the West for a change. Rugby news, its in the OZ normally, with quality writers. Watch the West get on board after a few wins!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    The local newspaper is without doubt the poorest excuse for a newspaper ever published in a civilised country. It is a shrill, unabashed political propaganda organ of the Conservatives, has no regard for truth or fairness and is edited by a fool and a dullard of the highest order. Its reporting staff from the top down consists of self prostituting snivelling sycophants who are so frightened for their job security that they have long since abandoned any pretence to adherance to ethics, minimal journalistic standards, morality or honesty.
    They have debased their profession, disgraced themselves, disgusted their peers and revolted all right minded people who have had the misfortune to come across their atrocious rag.

The paper has become a laughing stock world wide and a text book example of editorial abuse and egocentricity.
    Voltaire once famously responded to a vulgar missive with the retort " I am sitting in the smallest room in my house and have your correspondence before me. Soon it will be behind me.".When I contemplate the local newspaper my instincts are very similar.

And thats my editorial for the day.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 09-01-07 at 18:48.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wow Fulv!
    I just read the Sport and Comics, are they "safe"?
    Actually, I tend to stay away from the papers for Rugby and just read it online (Fox, Rugby Heaven, Sportal, ARU etc) from 12hrs to a week before it goes to press...

Anyway, this from todays "Cut Out Pass":

Matt told local media he was thrilled to be in Perth, and was looking forward to playing at inside centre for his new team, and covering at flyhalf.

Head coach John Mitchell flagged this week that, as well as covering for 10, Matt could also fill in at scrumhalf.

“We do have the opportunity now, having seen him play at 9, to have him cover at 9 in a 22, and that allows us to carry another utility back on the bench,” Mitch told local media.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Hehe Burgs, get a bit passionate and everyone runs scared .
    Did I happen to mention what a stirling job our state's major metropolitan newspapers do and how shite our local ones are?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    The local newspaper is without doubt the poorest excuse for a newspaper ever published in a civilised country. It is a shrill, unabashed political propaganda organ of the Conservatives, has no regard for truth or fairness and is edited by a fool and a dullard of the highest order. Its reporting staff from the top down consists of self prostituting snivelling sycophants who are so frightened for their job security that they have long since abandoned any pretence to adherance to ethics, minimal journalistic standards, morality or honesty.
    They have debased their profession, disgraced themselves, disgusted their peers and revolted all right minded people who have had the misfortune to come across their atrocious rag.

The paper has become a laughing stock world wide and a text book example of editorial abuse and egocentricity.
    Voltaire once famously responded to a vulgar missive with the retort " I am sitting in the smallest room in my house and have your correspondence before me. Soon it will be behind me.".When I contemplate the local newspaper my instincts are very similar.

And thats my editorial for the day.

Their attacks on KEMH were based on half truths,misleading info & dam Lies
    this paper gives gutter journalism a bad name
    dont get me started

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sunday Times is worse!!! LOL

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    It is true, they run with half assed stories, with complete bias rather than a "two sides to every story" approach. I only read it for the letters to the editor........ok, and the comics...
    It ain`t worth reading the sports `cause even in the middle of summer AFL still makes the back page more often than not, thats f**king ridiculous...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I was amazed yesterday at a rugby story making the back page. The only other times I have seen this is the day after the Forces first game as well as the 2003 world cup final picture of Wilko nailing the drop kick planted on the back page. I would expect that the 99' win was also on the back page.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    the 99 win was the full front page...........

vCash
    Ok. As well as the back page I presume?

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    sure was........

vCash
    do u reckon cross will start in centres?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I reckon Cross strainght in at 13

Hilgy at 10, Drew at 11, Gits at 12, Stanners at 14 and Sheps at 15

For starters at least...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast