Thread: Twickenham Thrashing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Twickenham Thrashing

Since 1908 the Wallabies have ever so slowly been gaining the respect of the Northern Hemisphere rugby community with a continuing plane of improvement in skills and teamwork. They have always been respected for their passion, hunger and general will to win.
    That was until the Spring Tour of 2005. The display of Australian rugby being presented to the Northern Hemisphere on this tour is an embarrassment to the Australian Rugby community. The continual defence of the indefensible is so Australian but if we have any hope of even having a sniff in 2007 then the excuses have to stop and we have to give the next generation a chance to show their wares. And if Eddie Jones isn't prepared to allow that to happen then perhaps it is time he took up fishing with his nearest and dearest.
    Australia where absolutely pole axed last night. Yes, there were a couple of shining lights but rugby is a fifteen, if not twenty two, man game and the England XV (XXII) totally demolished ours.
    The front row was treated with the complete contempt that it deserved by the English mountains. The otherwise balanced commentary from the British broadcast absolutely verbally slashed our ability to scrummage and it was 100% on the mark. It was the worst display of scrummaging that I have witnessed from Australia in my experience of the game.
    The second row had an improved game as a unit however still had a shocker of a lineout game and made simple handling skills errors.
    The backrow is too light, period. Until the rest of the world catches up with our style of play (nice one Eddie) we have to accept the fact that we cannot afford to continue starting with two openside flankers and an equally small third man. It didn't work with Smith and Waugh at 6 & 7 and it isn't working with them at 7 & 8. One must start and the other must bench. I would prefer Smith to be coming on for the second half but honestly at this stage I don't care which way it goes, just so long as there are a genuine blindside flanker and number 8 starting the match.
    The inside backs had a pass mark match, but just.
    The outside backs made the most of what they got in attack and made the scoreboard flatter us in defence.
    The bench should have started, all had an immediate impact on arrival and all looked comfortable with the occasion.
    And now to the individuals:

Matt Dunning, I hope you aren't hurt too badly Matt, no-one likes to see a prop with a neck injury, but I also hope you never play for Australia again. Rating: 2.

Brendan Cannon, Will hopefully be the last match for the tour, has much to work on if to get back in a Wallaby jersey next year with the return of Jeremy Paul and the rise of Polota-Nau. Basic rugby errors again but at least generally an improvement at the lineout since last week. Rating: 4.

Al Baxter, the less said the better. The ultimate embarrassment for a prop, sent off for deficient skill. Rating: 1

Hugh McMeniman, was impressive and one of few to show a bit of "mongrel". Made a couple of handling mistakes but well inside what would be expected of a junior second rower. Something to build the future around and just reward for his decision to leave the squad earlier this year. With the return of Vickerman next year may be an answer at 8. Rating: 6.5

Nathan Sharpe (vc), vast improvement since Marseilles and was instrumental in some critical defense. Still has to improve in the lineout but probably the best of the forwards. Rating: 7.

John Roe, did some good work but is a bench player at International level. Too light and did nothing to justify the exclusion of Rocky Elsom. Rating: 6.

Phil Waugh (vc), continues to give away critical penalties that other openside Internationals are getting away with. Otherwise had normal workman like match that we have come to expect but I feel would be better suited to knowing only had to play 50 minutes. Rating: 6.5.

George Smith, a great flanker’s match in broken play with some excellent passing, but unfortunately he is a number 8. Is a match saver over 80 minutes but would be a match winner subbing for Waugh at the 50 minute mark. See comments above re back row balance. Rating: 7.

George Gregan (c): 50% of his match was the George we remember of old, the other 50% says it's time for Henjak and Whitaker to get 40 minutes each against both Ireland and Wales. I'm not saying retire, just "rest" him for the rest of the tour and make him re-earn his position like everyone else after next years Super 14. Rating: 6.

Mat Rogers, I think we all would know this isn't the long term answer at 10 but hats off to Mat for stepping up to the plate and having a red hot go. Kept us in the match off the boot and when he was given some explosive players towards the end of the match he really started making some inroads. Don't bother trying others for the remaining matches, just leave him there as someone to work off and try others outside. Rating: 7.

Drew Mitchell, a back with a real future in the game if he can continue to grow and keep the youthful fire in the belly. Surprises with the hardness behind the boyish looks. A hard fought try and deserves to continue starting for the rest of the tour. Rating: 7.5.

Morgan Turinui (vc), it's time to go.......Morgan. Second match in a row that he was unsighted. The only reason I knew he was there was that Lote got the ball a couple of times, or maybe that was a skip pass??? All the words in the world in the "Tour Diary" pre game does not cover for a deficient game. Would indicate that his S12 season may have been made to look better by the presence of Nathan Grey. Rating: 1.

Lote Tuqiri, is being absolutely wasted at outside. Hasn't got the rugby brain as yet to make the snap decisions in attack and certainly was found wanting in defence with indecision. Rating: 4.

Mark Gerrard, is a promising player who will continue to improve in Australia's deepest talent pool. Was much more influential than Wendell Sailor in recent times and will no doubt be wrongly made one of the scapegoats by Eddie. Has the ability to change the angle inside and also straighten the play. Rating: 6.5.

Chris Latham, player of the tour so far. Two Australian best on grounds and was the General amongst the backs. Has an amazing hoof on him, with the only regrettable fact being that normally leads to another pole axing in the lineout. Should be the only player sleeping easy about keeping his spot for the rest of the tour though will hopefully have a bench fullback to give him a shorter game and expose some new talent there in Shepherd and Mitchell with Ioane to the wing. Rating: 8 and Aus best on ground.

Tatafu Polota-Nau, start him Eddie. Played his short stint with great poise and ball skills that should have shamed the other front rowers in gold. First throw-in in an International was a bullet that found the man and is much faster and harder than his peers. Now I know what all the fuss has been about in NSW! Rating: 7.

Greg Holmes, an average game with the time he had but certainly not a long term answer as yet. Had scrummaging problems but admittedly came onto the paddock at the most difficult time of the match for the Australian pack. Was a better option than either Baxter or Dunning so should be elevated next week. Rating: 4.

Mark Chisholm, looked a little lost coming on for Sharpe on the blood rule but had an okay match after that. At least he has the exuberance of youth like Mitchell, Polota-Nau etc. Rating: 5

Scott Fava, hope that wasn't the sum total of your International career Scotty! Should have been on much earlier to try and bolster the scrum and maul. That is what he does for club and Province, why pick him otherwise. Might have preferred to be watching from the stands and make a bigger debut next weekend. Rating: 6 (2 per minute!)

Chris Whitaker, possibly best Wallaby bench match by Whits for some time. Headless chook routine actually gained some ground this week and now must be allowed to go on to some real match time for the rest of the tour as reward. Rating: 6.5.

Matt Giteau, the Marseilles Martyr! Why Eddie, why??? You now have one very angry little man on your hands and I can only hope Gits puts that on the paddock against Ireland and Wales. Was instrumental in last ditch multi phase try attempt and showed his skill in broken play. Rating: 6.5.

Lloyd Johansson, this kid can play. Will be a key for building to the World Cup and must be given the chance to feel starting pressure and longer matches. Johansson has made an impact in every game I've seen him play in and remains an unknown for most opposition. One of the leading lights for Australia post '07. Rating: 7.

All in all a lack luster affair between IRB ranked 4th and 6th.
    Full credit to England for regaining the Cook Cup, we didn't deserve to win and you truly blew us off the park in the tight game.
    Fantastic game from man mountain Andrew Sheridan, a name we are going to hear much more of in the future.
    Eddie loves his video tapes, he could do worse than get his props and forward coaches to sit around the lounge and watch a highlight real of Sheridan and the rest of the England pack because they gave Australia a right rugby lesson.
    So on to Ireland who are also shaking after a "black wash" visit from our friends across the Tasman.
    No more excuses, no more time, no more politeness.
    Get angry boys or go home. You are representing a long history of Australian players who have built a respect for the men in green and gold jerseys. The time is now, the respect is fading, if you can't play for yourself, if you can't play for each other, if you can't play for your country, at least have the pride to play for your jersey.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Prospect
    vCash
    Burgs, I agree with your every comment and last nights game brought a tear to my eye. I have a wide and varied love life and my partner and I rejoice in the wearing of my Australian jersey whilst getting hot and heavy. I must admit however during our Tuesday night swapping spit session, that my partner commented on perhaps we could try another jersey, or perhaps a winning jersey for a change. So sadly, I no longer wear my Aussie threads with pride and have been selibent now for 6 weeks. Please Burgs, stop the drought and stop the rot that has been bestowed upon the poor Aussies.
    PS Do you have any home remedies for callouses?

vCash
    Geeze that really sucks. I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake asking my wife to get me a Wallabies jersey. Maybe I can sell it on E-Bay. The good thing is I can lie to everyone over here and tell the the Wallabies are a great team. But I cannot fool my wife, looks like I'm going to end up like Principal Sharpe.

How long has this Eddie character been the coach? It may be time to launch his ass and get a new coach. I don't want to be embarrassed in 2007.

Last edited by LarryNJ; 13-11-05 at 12:37.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Principal Sharpe- Welcome aboard the good ship TWF, four and a half gold stars for a debut post!
    The only known remedy to your ailment is "the cream of victory" which I fear may not arrive in the next two weeks. As we know, slight positional changes can make some difference however will rarely bring long term satisfaction for those involved!

LarryNJ- Eddie's reign can be traced back to about the time Australia started losing! During 2001 I believe off hand. Unfortunately his continuation is similar as for the argument for Gregan playing on, until there is a proven alternative then sometimes "the devil you know" has to apply but in the meantime no one else is gaining the required experience either. The best candidate for the job has just commenced a contract in WA and we don't want to lose him just yet. The other three bozos coaching Australian S14 aren't the answer so if at all would be looking to our past or those who lined up for the Force job from overseas. The George and Eddie Show is entering it's final acts I would think.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Scrum a 'disgrace': Fitzpatrick
    Sportal-
    http://www.sportal.com.au/union.asp?i=news&id=73958

Burgs - well done

I told you last week the tight five got bashed and there isn't another international team scared of the forward pack.

For us BLACK rugby jersey wearers - lifes good.

Welcome aboard Principal Sharpe. Man I hope I don't catch what you have, I have no idea what Selibent is but it sounds nasty.

Don't worry though, the Aussie team isn't celibate, they're getting screwed by everyone.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

Jones is a joke.

He's been living off the deeds of Rod McQueen, first at the Brumbies now at international level.

Try to explain the strategies, stlye of play the Jones employs. Its inconsistant and inconsequential to the current international game of rugby.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Nice work Burgs. The game was a bit blury through the tears I was a weeping - but the shining light of Mitchell and the fires burning in Latham's belly were a wonder to see. Mitchell had everything but little more experience and certainly deserves a starting spot for the rest of the decade. Latham was a warrior! With the game the new boys put on there is a light at the end of the tunnel - but I don;t think we'll get there before RWC 2007.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Surely Eddie Jones must go. Seven straight losses, there is no one else to be blamed. Captain George Gregan, I believe, has stepped up a notch and is playing some decent rugby. There cannot possibly be any other scape goats. The Wallabies need a new coach, and they need to do it now. Eddie Jones cannot guide Australia into World Cup success it's as simple as that.

vCash
    Good stuff Burgs - you want to think about doing that for a living!
    I have been an Eddie and George supporter for a lot of years, but I think your right. Let them finish this little fiasco - then put George out to pasture and cut Eddie loose.

It would be a promising start for the Force with several Wallabies and the Wallabies Captain!

Less of the dreams, I think your little score board on the guys is pretty accurate, the front row is a cancer that needs to be removed, those guys just aren't up to the job! We all have our varying opinions on the make up of the front row, but it does need to change.

The need for a long term fix in the front row is only one area of concern, No.8 David Lyons has made a fist of it, but he blows hot and cold too much for my liking and he is not on the tour - Fava deserves a chance to prove it, not just 2 minutes!
    No. 10 - Matt Rogers did good, but again he only a patch - use Johanssen as he is with the tour party, he and Mackay have the pedigree to fill the slot long term.
    12 and 13 needs to be examined and Turinui/Tuqiri is not the answer.........
    One thing is certain the pool of fullbacks and wingers is staggering and personally if I were Lote I would asking for my wing spot back before the young guns make them their own and he disappears with other 300,000 dollar man. There are plenty of good guys queing up for 11, 14 & 15. Mind you Latham it would be hard to push him out with his present form.

Brother Gallagher I hear you