• Undecided

6 17.65%
  • Ridiculous

8 23.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Poll 1

vCash
    Haha trust you to do that coach!

Well.. i chose undecided.. because it has its advantages.. like more sunlight.. but its also just plain weird having the sun up till 8:30 at night.. i was so confused at work today i thought all the clocks were wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Apart from recording my single poll vote there is nothing I have portrayed to bias others opinions one way or the other...
    It's bloody stupid Beaver, that's what it is

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Mtbeaver; 04-12-06 at 23:54. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was talking about this thread but thanks anyway Beaver.
    I also said that to you on the back of missing a couple of phone calls because I was out but anyway...
    My opinion has nothing to do with curtains, lactating cows or any of the other crud that is used by both sides to sway emotive arguments either way.
    I think it is stupid because a) Western Australia geographically "enjoys" twelve months of daylight saving anyway and b) far more of our trade is carried out with our northern neighbours than with the east coast now anyway.
    Having had business dealings with both regions I have found that it is far better to change the time difference with your own country than to let anything get in the way with another culture.
    But hey, that's just me and everyone is allowed to their own opinion and to change that opinion either way during the course of this trial, that's why we are having it. Our members have already shown that the social argument has impacts at both ends of the day.
    Now you can all get stuffed and pick on someone else while I go to the one safe self confident state left for a couple of weeks and enjoy some daylight wasting.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    and that Burgs is what it should be called ... daylight wasting!!!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Now you can all get stuffed and pick on someone else while I go to the one safe self confident state left for a couple of weeks and enjoy some daylight wasting.
    Dry your eyes you big girl.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I voted excellent because I like DST.

vCash
    .... meh I work til 8:30 pm so I dont get the benifit ... ... and thats right the world should revolve around me because I am great ... okay i'll wake up now hehehe

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Burgs makes an excellent point about trade partners. I am undecided at the moment, I think the problem is that we are having a "trial" for 3 years without any criteria for how that trial will be judged. Nothing has been set out for impact analysis, so once again it is all going to come down to emotive arguments! Great move by the government to get everybody to forget about the real issues for a while!
    Also it will be interesting to see if our power grid can hold up under the strain of all those people gonig home in the middle of the day and turning their A/C's on... Pretty sure there was a small issue last year without that added pressure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

vCash
    Thats also a very good point there, Rodent about the A/C's.. i remember them rambling on about them over and over last summer, and daylight savings isn't going to help

vCash
    my sleeping and eating patterns are all out of whack.

I wake up at 10, have breakfast at 12 and feel too tired and confused to remember to eat during the day.

Anyone wanting to get in shape for summer... daylight savings is the answer ... hehe.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbeaver
    Well.. i chose undecided.. because it has its advantages.. like more sunlight.. but its also just plain weird having the sun up till 8:30 at night.. i was so confused at work today i thought all the clocks were wrong...
    Oh, you'd love Scotland, then, when it's light till, ooh, about 10pm in the summer!

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    i think daylight saving is great but my computer is being ridiculous about it. it just wont accept it and keeps changing the time back to non dls time ne1 else got this problem?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent
    Burgs makes an excellent point about trade partners.
    Except that in reality our two largest (regional) trading partners are NOT on the same time zone...and our BIGGEST Trading partner is the goodole US of A.

Japan is (currently) on the same time zone as us.

China is an hour behind...no matter where you are in China!

Regardless of what industry you operate in, and whether your trading partners are in Australia or offshore, I would wager (Gerry odds please) that your phone bill (whoever you are) tells you that you make 5 calls domestically to 1 international - at least.

Now its a whole lot less disruptive to have an hour difference between here and China (and none to Japan) than three hours between East and West Coasts of Australia, where we are arriving for work as they are going for lunch and that leaves less than 3 hours to jam a days communicating in...so lets look at the "major playors" and consider whether this might affect 'em...

WPL - yep, offices both sides of the country, operations elsewhere (including right around the otherside of the world)
    BHP - you guessed it - Head Office Melbourne...but they dig stuff out of the ground here...and all around the world...
    RIO - ok head office here...but they dig stuff out of the ground here...and all around the world...
    WES - head office here, but plenty of stuff happening in Mansworlds (that's Ms Blindsid3's name for Bunnings) all over the east coast...

so for those that point to the trading argument, remember that our biggest trading partner is the USA and we are not aligned in timezone to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusher
    i think daylight saving is great but my computer is being ridiculous about it. it just wont accept it and keeps changing the time back to non dls time ne1 else got this problem?
    go to the Microsoft web page and download the WA Daylight savings patch.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Last edited by blindsid3; 07-12-06 at 09:48. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash

Thumbs up

thanks for that blindsid3

so china only has 1 timezone hey??

my new boss thinks WA should have 2 time zones (but ofcourse he is a kiwi)
    I told him we do have, perth is 2006 and the great southern is still 1996

he also thinks WA stands for Wait Awhile.
    he is ofcourse as funny as he looks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hey krusher, you can be a smart arse back and tell him that we already do, there is in fact a localised timezone that extends a few hundred kilometers either side of the WA-SA border to try and average out the difference.
    The only reason we need to "Wait Awhile" in the West is because the Eastern Staters need such a huge headstart to match us
    I was delighted to have a sense of normality during my last couple of weeks in Queensland. In support of my argument that WA already has daylight saving twelve months of the year due to our geographic location within the WST timezone, the sun currently goes down in Brisbane around 6:45pm EST.
    On return to Perth, I watched the awesome sunset out the OBH windows and then got kicked out half an hour later as it was closing time, hardly had even gotten into the swing of it.
    In protest we went home and demolished a large square bear between two of us.......

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Time for another poll?

damn this 'off season' ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast