1 11.11%
  • Scotland by a blowout (15+)

0 0%

Thread: Australia v Scotland

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Australia v Scotland

Now we are getting somewhere!!!
    Trestle can still cause issues from the bench however at least we should get sixty odd minutes of stress free scrummaging!
    Mitchell and Shepherd are unlucky (or injured?) to miss a Cap and interesting to note there is only two Backs which had been hinted at previously.
    Also Blake stiff not to get a shot at least from the bench however Shepherdson has done little wrong and Robinson has earnt his spot too.
    Let's go boys!!!

Wallabies to play Scotland:
    1. Benn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Guy Shepherdson
    4. Nathan Sharpe
    5. Al Campbell
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith
    8. David Lyons
    9. Matt Giteau
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Scott Staniforth
    13. Stirling Mortlock (captain)
    14. Mark Gerrard
    15. Chris Latham
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    17. Al Baxter
    18. Mark Chisholm
    19. Phil Waugh
    20. Wycliff Palu
    21. Josh Valentine
    22. Mat Rogers

Staniforth caps renaissance season

From Darren Walton in Edinburgh
    November 22, 2006

SCOTT Staniforth thought his modest Test career was over when he left Australia to play for London Irish last year.

But Staniforth enjoyed a spectacular return season with Western Force in the inaugural Super 14, and his continuing strong form on the Wallabies' spring tour of Europe has seen him selected at inside centre for Australia's final Test of the year.

The converted wing will make his sixth Test appearance seven years after his first when he partners Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock in the midfield against Scotland at Murrayfield on Sunday (AEDT).

"I suppose the flame has always been there to play (for Australia again), but when I left I probably thought it was all over," Staniforth said.

"So it's good to get back into the fold and I've really enjoyed this year."

Staniforth, who spent eight years with New South Wales before his stint with London Irish, can't quite believe how well 2006 has transpired after he and wife Emma returned to Australia to have their third child and to be closer to family.

Staniforth, 29, started as a wing for Force, and he played at inside centre - his new preferred position - only following a succession of injuries at the fledgling franchise.

"I started on the wing, the second week was 13 and the week after that I was 12," Staniforth said.

The move proved so successful that Staniforth was named Force's player of the year after finishing the Super 14 as the leading try scorer for an Australian team, with nine five-pointers.

He made a seven-minute cameo in the Wallabies' final Tri-Nations match, against South Africa in Johannesburg, and earned a starting spot against Scotland after scoring the match-winning try in Australia A's last-minute victory over Ireland A in Limerick.

Staniforth's heroics took place at the same Thomond Park ground on which he made his debut for Australia with a two-try performance against the US at the 1999 Rugby World Cup.

Staniforth enjoys a physical game and Wallabies selectors believe his straight running and powerful defence will be perfect for what are expected to be more cold, wet and windy conditions this weekend.

He described his Test selection as the most satisfying of his rollercoaster career.

"They're all different, but it's good to work your way in - and that was the goal straight after Super 14," Staniforth said.

"I really wanted to have a crack in the centres in this side.

"In '99, I was part of the squad and then after that it took me until 2002 in Italy (to get my second cap).

"A few injuries happened so I got an opportunity there.

"At the moment, we've got a full deck on board so it's good to get an opportunity when everyone is fit."

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 25-11-06 at 11:27.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    well done Stanners............wonder if we can find a fax to send him congratulatory fax before the test from TWF

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Scotland v Wallabies preview

Scotland v Wallabies preview

November 23, 2006 - 3:00am
    Story by: Sportal

Venue & Time

Murrayfield, Edinburgh, Sunday November 26, 2.30am (AEDT)

Last Time

Australia 31 - 17 Scotland, Glasgow, November 20, 2004.

Walking wounded & team changes

The Wallabies have made six changes to last week's starting XV against Ireland. Prop Benn Robinson and hooker Stephen Moore come into the front row in place of Al Baxter and Tai McIsaac while Al Campbell has been chosen alongside Nathan Sharpe in the second row. David Lyons impressed the selectors with a powerful game against Scotland A mid-week and will start at No.8 in the national side for the first time since the final Tri-Nations match in 2005 while George Smith comes back into the team at openside flanker pushing Phil Waugh back to the bench.

Matt Giteau is again at scrumhalf while Stephen Larkham, who was forced from the field with concussion in the 21-6 loss to Ireland, is back at flyhalf. Scott Staniforth gets his chance at the contentious inside centre position meaning skipper Stirling Mortlock goes back to outside centre and Lote Tuqiri is back to the wing.

Young hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau comes onto Wallabies bench while Stephen Hoiles is bracketed with Wycliff Palu as reserve forward alongside Mark Chisholm, Al Baxter and Phil Waugh. Josh Valentine and Mat Rogers are the reserve backs.

Scotland has lost a couple of key players to long term injuries over the past two weeks. Scrumhalf Chris Cusiter (shoulder) and No.8 Johnnie Beattie (leg) were stretchered from the field in last week's bruising encounter with the Pacific Islands while back-rower Jason White is to undergo the surgeon's knife this week after rupturing ligaments in his right knee in last fortnight's match against Romania. David Callam comes in at No.8, Mike Blair starts at scrumhalf in place of Cusiter while reserves Rory Lawson and Alasdair Strokosch are in a senior Scotland 22 for the first time.

Form

The Wallabies have been indifferent in their last couple of Tests. They played sparkling rugby in the first half of the first Test of the tour against Wales at Cardiff but have been unable to replicate that form. Australia accounted for Italy 25-18 in a scrappy game in Rome before being soundly beaten by Ireland 21-6 in cold and windy conditions in Dublin on Monday morning. The Australia A team has recorded wins over Ireland A and Scotland A in the past week so that should give the tourists some confidence heading into this weekend's match.

Scotland's form has been respectable. The team had a decent Six Nations campaign. They knocked off eventual winners France in the opening week 20-16 and also recorded wins against England and Italy but lost to Ireland and Wales. They recorded two losses on the tour to South Africa in June but have started this campaign with a comprehensive 48-6 win over rugby minnows Romania and downed the Pacific Nations 34-22 in a high-scoring affair last week at Murrayfield. But the stats are against the home side - they haven't beaten Australia in a Test match since 1982.

Who's hot

Chris Latham has been the outstanding performer for the Wallabies in the first three Tests. He has sparked the attack, scored some brilliant individual tries and made a number of try-saving tackles. No.8 David Lyons had a blinder against Scotland A mid-week and is almost back to the form that saw him win the John Eales Medal in 2004.

Scotland's openside flanker Kelly Brown had a huge game against the Pacific Islanders last week. He scored a try, had a hand in three more and was terrific in defence and at the breakdown. His battle with George Smith will be intense. Winger Sean Lamont looks like he is nearing his best form again and will be a handful should he get the ball in space.

Teams

Qantas Wallabies

Benn Robinson, Stephen Moore, Guy Shepherdson, Nathan Sharpe (vc), Al Campbell, Rocky Elsom, George Smith, David Lyons; Matt Giteau, Stephen Larkham, Lote Tuqiri, Scott Staniforth, Stirling Mortlock (c), Mark Gerrard, Chris Latham. Reserves: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Al Baxter, Mark Chisholm, Phil Waugh, Wycliff Palu, Josh Valentine, Mat Rogers.

Scotland

Gavin Kerr, Dougie Hall, Euan Murray, Nathan Hines, Scott Murray, Simon Taylor, Kelly Brown, David Callam; Mike Blair, Dan Parks, Simon Webster, Andrew Henderson, Marcus Di Rollo, Sean Lamont, Chris Paterson (c).
    Reserves: Ross Ford, Allan Jacobsen, Alastair Kellock, Alasdair Strokosch, Rory Lawson, Phil Godman, Hugo Southwell.

Officials

Referee: Donal Courtney (Ireland).
    Touch-judges: Mark Lawrence (South Africa) and Hugh Watkins (Wales). Television Match Official: Nigel Whitehouse (Wales)

Last edited by Burgs; 25-11-06 at 11:28.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote of the day goes to Knuckles on foxsports:

"We've got a very strong forward pack that we think will take us forward.

"We respect Scotland tremendously."

Strong relative to what?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    well done Stanners............wonder if we can find a fax to send him congratulatory fax before the test from TWF
    I think you can still text a wallaby on 1999786

-EDIT-

...or not.. it told me to try again in 10 minutes.

-EDIT-

ok it did work...

Last edited by Sagerian; 23-11-06 at 08:13.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I believe Simon Webster's, wing for Scotland, parents have just arrived in Perth as his father has been transferred from Shell to Woodside. It would be interesting to see if they have found our site yet. I'll maybe try and track down father Webster's e-mail address and introduce the site to him. May be able to get some insider info on the Scotland team over the next years build up to the RWC.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought Simon (11) was one of Scotlands best against PI last Saturday and I'll be keeping an eye on him this week as well.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Scotland the brave predict victory

Scotland the brave predict victory

Greg Growden in Edinburgh Chief Rugby Correspondent
    Friday, November 24, 2006

Such is the state of the Wallabies that even poor old Scotland, who have lost the past 15 matches between the sides, fervently believe they will win at Murrayfield on Saturday. Once upon a time, all-conquering Australian teams would arrive in Edinburgh and immediately frighten the locals, with Scotland not having come anywhere near them since 1982. Thrashings have been regular.

This time around, many of the local bookies have Scotland as favourites - largely because they have not been beaten at home this year, a record that includes Six Nations wins over France and England. Also, predicted high winds on match day will help the Scots.

Gone are the days when Scottish players and officials treated the Wallabies with outright respect. Now, they believe the visitors are vulnerable. Scotland coach Frank Hadden yesterday began his media conference at Murrayfield with a short speech, which provided enough clues to deduce that they are anticipating an upset.

Hadden said: "Australia are the side who have embarrassed us the most in recent times. I went back to have a look at how embarrassing it actually had been, and discovered since we last beat them in 1982, they have only failed to score over 30 points twice - and that's when they scored 27 and 29.

"So there's been a really long sequence of embarrassing defeats from Australia. I was there myself in 1989, and felt at the time, 'How could we ever beat Australia?'.

"Since then, a lot of good things have happened in Scotland rugby. We've got to a stage now where I believe we are going into this game this weekend with a genuine opportunity to take a famous scalp for us in the build-up to the World Cup. What we have done is narrowed the gap that had been developing between the southern hemisphere and northern hemisphere teams. We've approached it a slightly different way, and we are now tougher to beat than we used to be."

To add to the air of confidence, Hadden was reluctant to discuss the relative merits of certain Scottish players because there were several Australian journalists in the room. For good reason, Scotland's Test five-eighth, Dan Parks, was similarly reserved. After all, he is an Australian, and knows the dangers of poking away too much at the Wallabies' pride. They do know how to bite hard.

Nonetheless, Parks, who moved from the Easts club in Sydney to Glasgow in 2003 because of a lack of Super 12 opportunities, is adamant Scotland are on the rise, and in recent times have become a far more formidable team.

"We have improved a lot since the last time we played Australia, and I hope that will count for something," said Parks, who has played against the Wallabies four times in the Scottish colours.

"But we are under no illusions of how tough it is going to be. The problem with playing Australia is that they always seem to know what you are going to be doing. They are always very organised, but hopefully we can come up with a few new things and try to catch them out.

"I know we have definitely got better. The belief has got gradually better and better in this squad, with the France and England defeats during the Six Nations being a pretty big deal.

"Hopefully, this will be the week we again cause an upset. We know it has been a tough tour for them, and we want to make it tougher for them."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    Booyah....

The email address - gowallabies@rugby.com.au

Fax at the Novotel Edinburgh 44 131 656 3510

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Palu cleared to play

A bit of shame for Hoiles following what I understand to have beena very impressive Scotland A performance, but will give a chance to see Palu and Lyons in the same match.

Palu cleared to play

Sportal

Wallabies back-rower Wycliff Palu has overcome a shoulder injury and will take his place in the Australian squad for Sunday morning's Test against Scotland at Murrayfield.

Palu pulled up with a sore shoulder after last weekend's 21-6 loss to Ireland in Dublin and was in doubt for this week's final Test of the Spring Tour, with Brumbies forward Stephen Hoiles bracketed alongside Palu in the Wallabies squad.

But the big Waratahs loose forward passed a fitness test on Friday morning and will take his place on the Wallabies bench that includes five forwards and just two back reserves.

Hooker Stephen Moore and second-rower Al Campbell make their debut in the run-on team while Lote Tuqiri will celebrate his 50th Test for the Wallabies.

Coach John Connolly has insisted the Wallabies must win this Test after an indifferent showing on tour so far. The tourists started with a 29-29 draw with Wales then stumbled to a 25-18 win over Italy before last week's loss to Ireland.

The Scottish Rugby Union has announced the Test will be a sell-out, while the weather forecast for game day is for rain.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.