Thread: Something Rotten

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Something Rotten

It was obvious when Mr Connolly took up the role as Wallabies Coach there were some problems that needed fixing. Number one on the fixit list was the scrum, closely followed by the lineouts, rucks and mauls - lets call it "set piece" play. He even brought in a new member to the coaching staff to concentrate on that problem.

As far as players in those roles were concerned Mr Connolly had one solution only; The bigger the better. It didnt matter if you were a good or talented player (Al Baxter) or if there was someone better then you in that position (Phil Waugh being picked over George Smith). If you were a Big b*stard you were in.

Lets face it Rodney Blake got selected for the Wallabies one or two seasons to early, as big a guy as he is, hes not quite ready yet. And this argument ties in beautifully with Burgs Article about the Value of the Test Cap. For a long time I had the belief that the buildup towards a Rugby World Cup allowed for developing Test Players. I was wrong, Burgs you are right, a Test is a Test and we should put the best players in their best positions always fullstop end of story.

Send Al Baxter to the Jabiru Water Rats 2nd Division side and he might learn how to play.

Send Matt Rogers back to League now - we have no need for him.

Send George Gregan on a happy retirement now and tell Matt Henjak that he has paid his penance for his indiscretion in South Africa and bring him back in to the fold.

Matt Gitteau is a Centre,
    Lote Tiquiri is a Winger.
    Larkham is a five eighth if he can stay healthy long enough.

If Mr Connolly needs a impact Outside Centre perhaps he should take a look at the equal top Try Scorer of the Super14 and TWF player of the Year Scott Stanniforth.

Perhaps I am getting cynical in my old age, but there appears to be an us and them mentality about the Wallabies at the moment. If the coaching staff like you, and your big. Your in. If you happened to get caught muttering something under your breath during a training session a couple of months ago, you dont get to play with the big kids.

The Wallabies proformance against the Italians was nothing short of disgraceful and my TV was very fortunate not to be drop kicked out the back door of my place.

I hold little hope for the remainder of this Tour as long as Al Baxter continues to hold his place in the starting line up, and other players continue to play out of position.

Yes the Rugby World Cup is less then a year away, we should be playing our ultimate team now and for every Test leading up to it. If this is our ultimate team I guess we can only hope for a lot of retirements, and look forward to 2011.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Unfortunately for the Wallabies, I fear you are 100% correct

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Spot on. It's a sad state. I still don't get why there's a need to play world class players in positions where they're merely adaquate.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Please explain why no other bugger realizes( ie people who should know) what is going on, apart from us mug punters? Well im completely confused and not real happy!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I have faith (even if it is only a teensy weensy little bit) and am (trying really hard to) reserving judgement... No one could deliberately shake up the Wallabies to such a great extent without some reason - I hope its a good one.

I disagree with the "play our ultimate team now" statement - some of the potential Cup Team members are yet to be recognised - Hilgy for one still has the ability and skills to impress (if he can remain injury free - F***** Tipoki!), Rodzilla still has time to gain more experience and prove he's not a one hit wonder, Henjak still has time to prove himself. Next year will be an awesome Super14 season for Australia - we have increased our play base by 33%, the first year was just to settle in, in 2007 we start should start to see the rewards of having a 4th team.

I do however agree with the sentiment on Staniforth - the guys a brick, he's been on a 2 year purple streak and isn't looking like stopping...

Keep the Faith - even if you think its all gone pear shaped, it's too late to sack Connolly now, may as well back him

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    My faith will be restored if we beat the Irish and we show a bit of cohesion in the set piece. Im hopefull.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    being hopeful *is* having faith - C'arn the

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    At risk of sticking up for my mate Johnno, I would like to think that the Coaches are the people in the best position to see all the players, talk to them and have at their disposal some of the best stats and video replays.

This struck me even more when I just looked at the A's game from the other night on our friends web site in Ulster.

In the A game our pack was pushing the Irish all over the place...and I asked myself....is the void between the midweek and test teams that big????

MY thoughts are that the press seems to get onto a band wagon of not just reporting the game...but rather trying to influence the game by stirring up selection battles etc.

Lets look at Henjak in the . Its very easy to see the try being scored in the highlights by the likes of Stanners and Shep....but coaches also look at the lead up......and if you care to go back through the video clips that have been kindly put up of all the trys......take note of the prior play and see how often Henjak features in a quick disposal or tap on...

Now lets look at the Wallabies and think......the referees read papers.....they are now convinced that the Wallaby pack is "weak"....so if something happens in the scrum its the Aussies fault.....and consequently...Baxter takes the flak........if you have a copy of last weeks game versus Italy.....and more importantly with the sound track in sync......now listen for the refs call of "engage" and see that the Italian props are already into the vital first hit....the aussies arent in there because the Italians have gone early.....hence the Aussies dont get that good engage....and if the scrum collapses if the Italian prop lets his feet go back....Aussies get penalised....

I think there was an article in the papers this week where Brendan Cannon said about the Italians going in for the early engage and that the Aussie front row countered it in the second half by going early as well and we performed a lot better..

And as for the rejigging of the back line.........I believe that Connolly has recognized that our backs have been to predictable over the last few years....and if he can change it and make the opposition think...then we are on course for the World Cup.........again...go back through the video and see how well we did do in the first 20 minutes of the Welsh test......

It just needs the refinement...and nows the time to do it....

If it doesnt work out....then the guys have been playing in those positions for years....they can go back to our normal and now predictable play...

vCash
    Interesting point of view mate, and i totally agree with you on it...But, it still doesn`t change the fact that Al baxter sucks the big one, and should go...Several times in the Italian test you could see he couldn`t get a bind on the opposite prop, stuff you learn in the thirsty thirds at the Phantoms...as you would know...Basic rugby, a good bind will help keep his feet, but he just isn`t quick,or strong enough to get into position first...Now i know that can be attributed in part to the early engaging, as you have previously pointed out, but after the first couple of scrums he should have tried something to nullify this, maybe a sly headbutt to the side of the italians head, or ear...Get under your opponents skin, distract them, god knows they did their fair share...I lost count of how many times the Italian prop drove into the hooker and got away with it all game, but that is another story...
    Having said this, the whole scrum needs to perform as a unit, and if the second rowers or flankers aren`t putting in their all, well , that ain`t condusive to a tight scrum either....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Trouble is frontrow, if you are in the back five and only pushing against a trestle then the trestle will fold for mine.
    The blame is attempting to be all encompasing for all eight and while the rest may have some work to do, if the battering ram can't stay up then there is little left for the other five to recover.
    The majority of problems that get blown up are primarily to do with the front row collapsing and then secondly the scrum wheeling and the front row collapsing.
    Very rarely if ever (on this Tour) has the Wallaby pack been pushed straight back and on the oposition feed we generally are able to at least hold it square.
    There is always work for all players to do on their set piece however, I think in this instance it may be diversionary by the Wallaby Camp to try and shift the focus off the front row and specifically the muppet in the #1 jersey.
    Thoughts?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I wasn`t trying to be critical of the pack, as i agree, as a unit we rarely get pushed straight back, and i also agree on the point regarding the battering ram, and the useless so and so at loose head is the weakest link. I was just refering to the whole pack as an after thought...The main point i was trying to make was that our useless mate hasn`t mastered the basics of grade rugby, let alone making any impact at the national level...
    In a matter which may play into his useless hands, the new IRB ruling regarding scrums could actually help in that he will be in a better position prior to engagement to bind properly, what do you reckon?

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That is certainly a great fear of mine
    I reckon that the S14 can't get here fast enough so that he is scrummaging against the rest of Australia where he will be shown up time and again as the next wave are coming through.
    Purely on weight alone he couldn't hold up Blake or Takiari.
    Our great hope is that, following this lay off, Holmes remains fit throughout '07 as that should end the debate at the selection table.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I have to agree with Exile 110%
    Wake up Knuckles or leave