Thread: Western Force Home Ground

Apprentice
    vCash

Western Force Home Ground

I have just joined this website.

I am a keen rugby supporter, following Super 12 on TV and also quite frequently going to the local Perth comp matches. Like most, I was very happy to see Perth succeed in getting a Super 14 berth.

I am less than enthused about the home ground......Subiaco. Quite frankly it is a lousy place to watch a rugby match, unless you are in a handfull of seats in the corporate area. I have thus not invested in a membership package. I will probably go to the odd home game, but I expect to be able to easily pick up tickets on Ebay or whatever.

I am dismayed to read recently that Western Force has applied to extend its tenancy at Subiaco, rather than push for a 30,000 capacity expansion of Members Equity ground. Those that remember the Western Reds rugby league team will realise that one reason for its failure was the remoteness of the play from the crowd. There was no atmosphere with a half full ground, after the initial honeymoon period, which attracted bigger crowds. Although the Force has a remarkably big first year membership, I expect that this will significantly drop in the second year. Realistically, I expect that we would finish in the bottom half of the table, and this, together with disenchantment from viewing rugby at an Aussie Rules ground will affect the enthusiasm of many fans.

What do others think about the home ground?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I dont believe that Subiaco will be that much of a disadvantage as Vasco makes out.

Lets look at a few facts;

Untill the construction of the Sydney Football stadium in the 1980's all of Sydneys big games of both Rugby Union and Rugby League were played at the SCG - an Oval.

The Western Reds failure was because of their contract with the NSWRL - they agreed to cover the costs of all teams flights to Perth and accomodation in Perth . After one season they were $2 Million in debt. After their 2nd Season $4 Million. Super League came along and prevented them from folding by paying out the debt. After the demise of Super League, one of the first teams to be wound up by the new ARL was the Western Reds along with 3 other teams - as the competition couldnt support that many teams.

The point I am trying to make is this. Whether the Force plays its home games at Subiaco, Members Equity Stadium or anywhere else, it doesnt really matter. Its the fans that give a stadium atmosphere. Its the fans that make a home ground advantage an advantage. I strongly believe that each home game of the 2006 season will be a sell-out for the Western Force and that for 2007 Western Force Memberships will be over subscribed and a waiting list will be created.

I am not flying from Sydney to watch the Force take on the Brumbies for the fun of it. I am flying from Sydney to watch history in the making.

Roll on Feb 2006 - I, for one, can't wait.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The Australia vs South Africa game this year had great intensity. To me, the ground did not matter, it was just as enjoyable to watch and be part of the action.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by the.committed.in.exile

I am not flying from Sydney to watch the Force take on the Brumbies for the fun of it. I am flying from Sydney to watch history in the making.

Roll on Feb 2006 - I, for one, can't wait.
    Does Mrs. the.committed.in.exile get a look at TWF and can she varify your statement or are you visiting relatives?

Again as ever the true Eastern Western Force supporter speaks the truth, yes the ground is a completely useless, but the 43,500 fans, 30 players, 2 linesmen and referee are all that counts - let the games begin!

Nice to meet you Vasco!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    The Airfares are a Christmas present from Mrs TCIE with a little help from some other relatives. I will proably stay with my Dad in Sorrento and find away to obtain some tickets to the big game, or am i still doing "colour comentary" for Twin Cities FM?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'll see what I can do with both stats man (not commentary, that's for important people like me!), Elle's box or a gold seat that I know is avaliable now (maybe not in February) - we'll sort something out - after all your the Founder of the Sydney branch of the Western Force Supporter's Club!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    G'day Vasco, welcome aboard and good to see someone come out swinging on their first post!!!
    I agree with you as much as Subi is far from ideal to watch rugger however it is far better option than the WACA or the limited seating at Members Equity (would have to change name to "Members Only Stadium").
    My favoured option (as posted elsewhere) would be to take over from Claremont Football Club at Claremont Oval when they apparently move to the Showgrounds in a year or two.
    That way they could build a 30k+ rectangle ground as a dedicated rugby stadium and utilise the rail at the Showgrounds station and have parking on the Showgrounds. With the amount of people who miss out on Test Match tickets each year you could easily budget for 45-50k at those matches.
    If I was a City of Claremont Councillor I would be pushing like hell for that to happen.
    Otherwise I would plan to utilise the Perry Lakes redevelopment to build a fully self contained facility there and provide a bus service from the nearest train station.
    I agree that something needs to happen but at the same time I don't think that it is the make or break of the success of the team. Many others would join me putting up with the wooden splinters at the Perry Lakes Athletics Stadium if it meant watching our team go around in the Super 14!
    As much as the Eastern Staters (and especially Victorians) would like to, it is very difficult to compare the political morass of the Western Reds experience and inevitable demise to the huge wave of support for the Western Force. Rugby League has never been a major player in WA sport and it was ill conceived to even try and establish a professional franchise in this State.
    Look forward to future verbal grenades from you Vasco!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm with you on the home ground front too Vasco, there'll be a big drop off after the first, maybe second year - but I think the local rugby fans are a bit more dedicated and not as soft as those league fans of yore.

State and local government should invest heavily in a NEW purpose built RECTANGUALR stadium or turn it over to private enterprise - they've been talking about it long enough - time to do the right thing!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Subi is not too bad.

Some locations are better than others though. Some of the seats in the corners on the 2nd tier are actually quite good to get a perspective of postional play.

Worst thing, and I've said it before, too little toilets and too slow at getting to the beer. Its set up for AFL were the breaks are huge.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

Apprentice
    vCash
    I would like the venue to be changed to Members Equity as i cant stand Subi but i dont see it happening in the near future. I can see us staying at Subi for now due to the capacity but the seats are shocking. No room to move so i would like Members Equity to be upgraded if possible.

Cant wait to see the atmosphere at the first game as it will be exhilarating.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Western Force caimpaigned hard for redevelopment of Members Equity Stadium, but asked for extra funds for an increased corporate and capacity development of the venue to get capacity to 25,000.

The State Government are still working through the issues and there are no timeplans on the issue.

vCash
    They probably don't see a need to increase the size of Members Equity....Perth Glory games don't even occupy half the capacity! Haha....soccer...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Hey no dissing soccer, I go to all Perth Glory games...am a sports fanatic.

They don't see a need to increase the size for soccer, especially if the Force stay at Subiaco Oval...but they want to go to a rectangular venue.