Thread: Stirling slams backhander claims

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stirling slams backhander claims

Looks like Wayne Smith might be having a break from Growden and Campese's bandwagon for a day or two, must have decided he needed more time to look around the sites of Rome...

Stirling slams backhander claims

From Wayne Smith in Rome
    November 10, 2006

AUSTRALIA tour captain Stirling Mortlock yesterday insisted his comments praising Matt Giteau's impressive starting debut as a Test halfback last Sunday (AEDT) against Wales in no way were intended as a backhanded criticism of George Gregan.

Mortlock gave an enthusiastic response this week when asked about Giteau's performance at halfback, claiming "he offered a lot more variety in attack to us", a comment seized upon by some journalists as an oblique criticism of 127-Test veteran Gregan.

Mortlock, however, was shocked and dismayed to learn his words had been taken that way.

"I wasn't implying that at all," he said yesterday in Rome, where the Wallabies are wrapping up their preparations for their second Test of the tour, against Italy early on Sunday (AEDT).

"I was just implying that for his first game at nine, Gits did exceptionally well. We managed to function our attack off him, whereas with most guys making their debut at nine, we'd have settled for a whole lot less.

"I don't think I compared him to George at all and if it was interpreted that way, it was not my intention at all. (Gregan) is an outstanding captain and a great player, and when he is in the team he gives us so many options as well.

"If that was the way it was interpreted, I'm sure George would understand that was not how I intended to put it and not in any way was I comparing Gregan to Giteau.

"They're both different players anyway but for Giteau's first game at nine, I was very impressed with it."

When contacted yesterday on his return from the Prime Minister's XV's match in Japan, Gregan declined to comment on the matter, not angrily, merely because he was determined not to get dragged into any controversy while enjoying his first full off-season in seven years.

"That will all stir up again next year and as soon as I make a comment, there goes my break," Gregan said.

"I'm just watching the Wallabies and wishing them well."

Indeed, far from feeling threatened by Giteau's performance against Wales, Gregan was delighted by it and sent him a text message congratulating him on his game.

Wallabies coaches John Connolly and Scott Johnson also are revelling in Giteau's performance against Wales, not because it means the demise of Gregan but because they know it will ignite his ultra-competitive nature.

Johnson, the Wallabies assistant coach, had no doubt Gregan could fit into the new attacking patterns the Australians are refining on tour.

"I thought George this year was exemplary," Johnson said.

"I thought George made more breaks this year than he has for the past three or four, and he adapted as quickly as anyone."

Connolly also dismissed suggestions Gregan had been superseded by the by the gifted 24-year-old.

"It's definitely not over," Connolly said.

"Six months of footy to go, halfback is an incredibly competitive position and I would say like the front row, the hookers, the backrow with Smith and Waugh ... it's the same.

"We're happy with the way Giteau went and when we get home we're in a competitive environment, Gregan, (Sam) Cordingley, (Josh) Valentine improving and if Giteau is the nine for the Western Force, then you have four halfbacks competing."

Unhappily for the Wallabies, Giteau's sizzling debut as a Test halfback has in no way caused Western Force coach John Mitchell to rethink his plans to use him anywhere but at inside centre or five-eighth in next year's Super 14.

"Nothing's changed here," Mitchell said.

"I always said Matt will play at 12 (inside centre) or 10 (five-eighth) and that's still the way I see it. We've got a plan here and nothing has changed in it. We already have three halfbacks in Matt Henjak, Chris O'Young and John McGrath, our academy halfback.

"Giteau can still improve his pass and he has a lot of work to do on his defence at halfback."

Gregan's former ACT Brumbies and Test teammate Rod Kafer also has criticised those who are dismissing Gregan's chances of ever regaining the Test spot he surrendered when he opted to sit out this tour to freshen up for next year's World Cup.

"It's always dangerous writing off champions," Kafer said.

"I don't know the reason George attracts all this criticism. I guess he polarises people, they either love him or hate him.

"But he's a great competitor and he has played more Tests than anyone else so I guess he could safely argue that what he does is working for him."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Damn, I read the title and was hoping that Stirling had given Growden the smackdown. Oh well, live in hope...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    HAHAHA, we should be so lucky!!!
    I think even the thought of it would have the "hard hitting" Growden soiling himself

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.