Thread: Wallabies must axe ‘arrogant’ Gregan

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies must axe ‘arrogant’ Gregan

http://www.7days.ae/2006/11/03/walla...nt-gregan.html

WALLABIES legend David Campese wants Australia to end George Gregan’s career by thrashing Wales in Cardiff tomorrow. Campese believes the “arrogant” Gregan has strangled the life out of Australian rugby during the latter stages of his record-breaking 127-Test career. Gregan is skipping the November tour to stay fresh for the World Cup. And Campese hopes replacement scrum-half Matt Giteau grabs the chance to make the No.9 shirt his own.

“As soon as they get rid of George Gregan we can start playing some good rugby,” Campese told 7DAYS. “He’s got too much of a hold over the team. Hopefully on this tour Giteau will play really well and then the backs can actually perform. “At the moment George is just wasting time there. He should have gone after the 2003 World Cup. “When you’ve got opposition coaches like Jake White (South Africa) and Graham Henry (New Zealand) saying what a great player he is and that he should stay around, you know what’s going on. “They want him to play, and that’s pretty damning.”

Campese, the star of Australia’s World Cup-winning side of 1991, thinks Gregan’s influence over the team has become a negative factor. “His captaincy hasn’t been fantastic and his win ratio is not great either, but he still carries himself with that arrogance. His influence is all over the team, because he’s been there as captain for so long. But no one is bigger than the game and we need to move on,” added the former wing. Giteau will get his chance behind the scrum in the Millennium Stadium tomorrow, despite playing most of his career at inside centre.

In other changes to an experimental back-line, Stephen Larkham, who has played all his international rugby either at fly-half or full-back, moves to inside centre, alongside Lote Tuqiri, while Mat Rogers is at fly-half. Campese would like to see Giteau playing at scrum-half for his Super 14 franchise Western Force. But former All Blacks coach John Mitchell, who is in charge of the Perth side, has no plans to switch his player.

“Giteau has played half-back at Under-21, but he’s not playing there at Western Force, which is one of the problems we have in Australia. “Unlike in New Zealand, where all their coaches are Kiwis and are working toward the same goal, we have John Mitchell in charge in Western Australia. “He doesn’t give a stuff about Australian rugby, so he’s gonna keep playing Giteau at centre. You have to wonder whether that’s good for Australian rugby.”

Campese was in Dubai for last night’s gala dinner with Jonah Lomu at the Crowne Plaza, and is happy the All Black great has turned down a chance to switch codes to rugby league. “Whatever the reason, I’m pleased Jonah didn’t go to league because it’s just so different,” he said. “He’s been through a tough time, and it must be very frustrating not knowing what to do with your life. But one thing’s for sure, no one will ever do what he did for rugby ever again.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Campese, you are a nutsack....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Why do the media still report this ejiots ramblings? Makes good copy for the masses i suppose.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    We'll pay him a visit at his Canterbury shop in The Rocks when we are over and sort him out......he could always step like a goose, now he acts like one too!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    “Unlike in New Zealand, where all their coaches are Kiwis and are working toward the same goal, we have John Mitchell in charge in Western Australia. “He doesn’t give a stuff about Australian rugby, so he’s gonna keep playing Giteau at centre. You have to wonder whether that’s good for Australian rugby.”

I have just doubled my "dislike" for post relevance Campo, he has turned into a prize clown in the last couple of years and is one bitter and twisted individual because the ARU and modern Rugby has no place for him to continue to stroke his own ego.
    Head back to SA with the other one eyed Wonder-Coach's you toe rag

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    couldn't agree more Burgs - thumbs up!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Well put Burgs, could not have made the point clearer about the tool

vCash
    Good on ye Burgs

vCash
    I seem to recall when Campo was playing he would dribble a whole lot of shyte between the games as well...wasn't he known in equal parts for his big mouth and big step?

Now he can be known only for his big mouth...

vCash
    Hey guys, in reality this bloke like other ex-stars gets paid for making column inches and after dinner speechs. He will always attract more attention and therefore more work and $'s if he is controversial, of course it hits a raw nerve when one of "your own" says bad things about your own countrymen but you have to wonder if he really believes it himself, or as I suspect he is after the shock factor.

Personally its a bit of pot calling the kettle black (does that translate in Oz speak?), Campo in his prime was a wind-up merchant but he was someone the opposition loved to hate, and this is so like George it is uncanny. I like the fact that we have colourful characters like him around, even if we don't always agree with the cr*p they spout, the game would be less without them.

Touchpaper well and truly lit and I am now standing well back for the onslaught of disagreement!!!!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Actually I think Campo was wrong - George should never had played in the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

Sure the stuff he said about Mr Mitchell was complete tripe - but the rest of it was right on the button.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco