Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Players must suffer in silence

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I dont think so Tim........Your duty as captain is to find out why if your ears were blocked for the initial call and then pass that onto the players concerned. As a captain you can NEVER accuse the ref of playing an unfair game..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I dont think so Tim........

His name is Shaun, Gerry. not Tim. and Gerry your absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunmarn
    it is about having the right to tell him (if you are the captain) that he is calling an unfair game.
    Shaun please tell me where it says you have the Right to tell the Referee anything?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    George has a lot to answer for. He was lighting fires for years and giving us grief! Excellent move, but also please give the touchies a set of dusters so they may call infringements and not just run up and down, and do bugger all.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yep, have no problem with the new ruling on backchat.
    As a past PSA and State Captain Shaun, I can assure you you won't continue to hold the post into the future if that is your attitude on how a Captain can treat a Ref!
    This gung-ho cowboy attitude against the officials is obviously right through the code now (regardless of what level or code it came from) and I fully congratulate Paddy and the IRB in attempting to stamp it out.
    The new ruling doesn't stop the Captain from questioning the REASON for the Referee's decision, it just enforces what was recently common practice in waiting for the appropriate and fair time and ensures that there is no dissent when that query is made.
    My reading of the new TMO powers is that it will still only allow for interpretations of play in goal and not back several phases as frontrow (and I would too if it is the case) fears. Currently the Ref asks for the TMO to rule on specific things, ie "Bob, please check for me the grounding of the ball, contact with the corner post, his shoulder in goal and if it was a high shot in holding him. Oh, and is his hair parted to the left or the right...."
    Far easier for the Ref just to say, "Bob, is there any reason why I cannot award this try?”
    I would not be in favour of the TMO's power to be extended into the field of play though, or at least no further than the start of the final phase to the try.
    This would be beneficial for when length of the field runs are made and the Ref cannot keep up to check the final pass etc.
    In any case, the Ref will hold the final say with this new system and can rule by using "his intuition".
    I agree that the Touchies need to be given more power and specifically for me that would be mainly in enforcing the offside and forward passes.
    Personally, I wouldn't want to be a Ref for anything in the world but I am grateful for those who do and I think we need to collectivelly cut them some slack and realise that without them we have no Rugby Union.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    As often before Burgs has managed to more eloquently say what I had been thinking on this. A couple of issues from me though.

Firstly I understand that some proposed changes in laws need to be tested before being adopted thoughout the game but in this case I cannot see a reason why all leagues/comps/nations/games should not introduce this change immediately. Applying a different interpretation of the law in the international tests compared to the games these guys are playing the weekend before and after only asks for trouble and inconsistancy. Its a long overdue change, and I will be interested to see how people like Dallaglio cope with it, I would just like to see it enforced at club games sooner than later. This weekend I had so much sympathy for the ref at the Ulster game having to listen to Easterby moan and complain for every decision.

Secondly I agree in part to the TMO changes but I worry about the suggestion the ref will no longer give the benefit to the defending side when he cannot determine a safe decision. In my book the try should only ever be awarded if the grounding is confirmed, this is no different than those games where there is no TMO, the ref surely can't be allowed to use his initiative (that's code for guess!) and award unsafe tries...just wait until the first one is awarded against your team and you are yelling at the ref "he didn't ground it". I agree they perform a thankless task Burgs but handing them the initiative to guess if the ball was grounded under a pile of bodies is going to allienate them further.

vCash
    I agree with you flat top, that if the defending team can create doubt regarding the grounding of the ball, in both the referees and TMOs` mind then they should be awarded the benefit of the doubt, especially in tight low scoring affairs...
    On another aside, how about the gobby Henjak, how is he gonna cope when it is introduced into super 14. We have all seen him mouthing off constantly, will it be enough to shut him up

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    he'll learn soon enough... I think we'll see a different player for 2007 in Henjak - if he can learn to keep quiet, all the better...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2