Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: South Africa out of Super 14 in 2010?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

South Africa out of Super 14 in 2010?

SA could bow out of Super 14
    21/10/2006 10:08 - (SA)

Sydney - South Africa may withdraw from the Super 14 after 2010, leaving room for a Japanese team, while Argentina could join an expanded Tri-Nations, said reports on Saturday.

According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald, support for the Super 14 provincial series in South Africa is flagging.

The report also said there was a strong push for major changes to both competitions after the current Sanzar participation agreement runs out.

The newspaper said the changes could be a reality within a few years, with influential Australian rugby officials receptive to the proposals.

"Australian officials know their South African counterparts are gradually losing interest in the Super 14, and for some time have been keen to align with European competitions - especially as it is in virtually the same time zone and involves less travel," said the report.

The newspaper said South African officials had said their Super 14 teams were disadvantaged as they had to spend extensive time on the road, while their players struggled to stay motivated during the lengthy tournament.

'SA keen on Tri-Nations'

South Africa's poor record has not helped local interest in the competition either, said the Herald, prompting Australian officials to learn that their Sanzar partners were looking for alternatives.

Before the South African, New Zealand and Australian Rugby Unions (Sanzar) deal was extended last year, there were reports that South Africa would depart from the then Super 12 for Europe.

"South African officials have told me they're not keen on the Super 14, because the provinces see better value going up north. But they remain keen on the Tri-Nations," one Australian Rugby Union official told the Herald.

The newspaper said South Africa's interest in the Tri-Nations reflected the intense traditional Test rivalry between the Springboks and the All Blacks.

ARU officials invited to Tokyo

South Africa have also been successful in the Tri-Nations - winning it in 1998 and 2004 - and have developed an often tense relationship with the Wallabies.

But the newspaper said South African and Australian officials realised that the Tri-Nations had to be revitalised and this boosted Argentina's push for inclusion.

If the Tri-Nations is expanded, Argentina may base themselves in South Africa.

Australia has recently improved its rugby relations with Japan, with officials at the ARU believing that part of the rugby world holds promise, particularly financially.

This was apparently behind Australia's push for Japan to stage the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

Key ARU officials have been invited to Tokyo for the Japanese Rugby Union's 80th anniversary next month.

The celebrations include a match between the Australian Prime Minister's XV, in which six Wallabies will be playing, and Japan in Tokyo on November 4.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    ok everyone sing:

Sha-Na-Na-Na

Sha-Na-Na-Na

Hey Hey Hey

Goodbye

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Pumas, Pacific Islands here we come.

vCash
    won't happen...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    'Spose they would be losing interest seeings they have such an ordinary record since the start of Super Rugby!?
    Be a shame if they go but one door closes, another opens.
    The strength of Rugby coming out of Argentina, Japan (and other Asia, I'll discuss that elsewhere in the future) and the Pacific Islands by 2010 will be considerably stronger than what we see now.
    Either way the "product" of Super Rugby is only going to continue growing into the future.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    don't get me started on why SA teams have a bad record...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Shaun I think there was some talk within the Celtic League of a tie-in with the SA teams, this was around about the time the Welsh were looking like leaving the league in hopes that they may get offer spaces in the Guinness Premiership. At the time no-one considered this a serious suggestion, after all why would SA give up S14 in place of Celtic Rugby...maybe in hindsight there is some truth in this. Could be Blue Bulls v Ulster soon!

vCash
    well flat-top I know who I'd be supporting in that case... carn the Alstermen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea
    Pumas, Pacific Islands here we come.
    You could be right there TLH although I think the Puma's have been suggested to join just about every league in the world, last I heard they were to set up a base in Spain and capitalise on the significant number of European based players by getting a place in the 6/7 Nations Tournament. I find it hard to take any of these suggestions seriously until contract are signed.

What would be the sense in SA pulling out of the S14/Tri-Nations citing reasons of time zones/travel/etc and then a Pumas side basing themselves in SA and having to deal with the same issues that so put off the Boks, and with a miniscule budget to play with, I wager they simply couldn't cope with the demands and cost tri-nations/S14 rugby would require to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    'The strength of Rugby coming out of Argentina, Japan (and other Asia, I'll discuss that elsewhere in the future) and the Pacific Islands by 2010 will be considerably stronger than what we see now.
    Understand where you are coming from Burgs but can't see the Islands prosper as much as would be needed to compete at the highest level while NZ and to a lesser extent Aus are allowed to poach their up and coming talent. I don't know anything about the Japanese set-up but I won't be surprised if someone tells me they also have a few "couldn't quite make it as an All Black" in their team.

Last edited by Flat-top; 25-10-06 at 20:29. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunmarn
    won't happen...
    Very Optimistic there Shaun.

I really dont mind if they leave or not, eather way im a happy man

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    less travel ??? who do they think they're kidding ... I'd like to see the northern hemisphere clubs reply to this, it would increase their club numbers by a few and involve much "more" travelling for them ... SA rugby might want it, that isn't to say the Northen clubs want them in!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Don't let the door hit your collective arses on the way out. We have to travel to SA as well, it's not just them... oh boo hoo.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-top
    after all why would SA give up S14 in place of Celtic Rugby...!
    They may have a better chance of winning

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    No chance of winning with the Ulster boys there.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    SA could bow out of Super 14
    The newspaper said South African officials had said their Super 14 teams were disadvantaged as they had to spend extensive time on the road, while their players struggled to stay motivated during the lengthy tournament.
    LENTHY?
    14 games isn't lengthy, have these guys got the attention spans of learning disabled goldfish or something?

If you can't stay motivated for three months playing against some of the best provincial teams in the world, it's no wonder they've got a bad record!

Quote Originally Posted by Flat-top
    Understand where you are coming from Burgs but can't see the Islands prosper as much as would be needed to compete at the highest level while NZ and to a lesser extent Aus are allowed to poach their up and coming talent. I don't know anything about the Japanese set-up but I won't be surprised if someone tells me they also have a few "couldn't quite make it as an All Black" in their team.
    Yep, and WA don't have a chance of fielding 15 competitive players....Oh Shit!

OK OK OK I know theres a big corporate dollar behind the Force, but I think the Pacific Islands wouldn't have too much trouble coming up with a team that does more than make up the numbers. Most islanders I know are pretty patriotic, and you could bet that if an island team was in the comp, lots would spurn higher money to play for 'home'

I think it's a tribal thing, the best form of motivation in rugby is the tribe!

Last edited by GIGS20; 26-10-06 at 16:21. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast