Thread: Backline Shenanigans - WTF?

vCash

Backline Shenanigans - WTF?

So, the Wallabies coaching staff have moved the worlds best (and most expensive) inside centre to halfback...leaving a gap there. So who have they moved to inside centre?

Yep, Stephen Larkham. Is Knuckles a Genius or Brain Dead? History will determine that I am sure. We have traded one of the fastest, most dangerous men in the backline for one decidedly slower and less mobile (tho definately still dangerous) - Is this a good decision?

Checkit...(from the Australian)

Larkham a hope for inside centre
    By Bret Harris
    October 19, 2006 STEPHEN Larkham has played in every position in the backline except inside centre, but that may change on Australia's tour of Europe, which starts this month.

After the 2003 World Cup, Larkham indicated he would like to play in one or two other positions, including inside centre.

As assistant coach Scott Johnson attempts to reshape the backline, Larkham has been training at inside centre, with regular No.12 Matt Giteau at halfback and wing Mark Gerrard at five-eighth.

"There might be a chance I'll play 12 on tour," Larkham said.

"At the camp at Coffs Harbour we were preparing for the first couple of games. Once we get over there, there won't be a lot of time to train.

"We were experimenting with a few different positions. Matt Giteau was running at nine, Mark Gerrard at 10 and I ran around at 12. I feel good about it. It's a change. It's a similar position to 10, especially the way we are playing.

"It will be good for my learning the new phase play. There's a little more onus on calling things for the outside backs. I'm sure I would slot in occasionally at first receiver and then get around to run at 12 on phase play.

"I'll have to organise the runners around me, which will put a bit more pressure on me.

"It won't be that much of a change. We are trying to be interchangeable."

Larkham has had experience in the midfield, having played outside centre for the Brumbies in the Super 14.

"I've started at outside centre for the Brumbies," Larkham said.

"It was an enjoyable position. You get to pick your holes. I think 12 will be very similar to that."

Larkham believes playing inside centre will also help him to master the Wallabies' new unstructured attack in phase play.

"In South Africa (for the Wallabies' last Tri-Nations Test against the Springboks) I said I had gained an understanding of the new attack on the training paddock, not necessarily on the playing paddock," Larkham said.

"I want to carry that training form into games."

Larkham said the main thing he had to do to adapt to the new style was learn to control his running speed.

One of the features of Larkham's play at five-eighth has been his ability to take the ball to the defensive line.

But Larkham takes up the ball so hard sometimes he reduces the options of the players around him if the designated play does not come off.

"I need to vary my speed, which will give the players outside me the chance to play the ball," Larkham said.

"I want to get on the paddock and play the new style in phase play.

"I think I understood it a while ago, but the more you play it the more comfortable you are."

Larkham said the European tour would give the Wallabies the opportunity to develop team spirit for the World Cup in France next year.

"The team, as a whole, our goal is to gel and get to know one another on and off the field and create a camaraderie," Larkham said.

"The talk at the moment is that Wales will be the hardest test. Wales are extremely tough.

"The Welsh players have been together for a number of years and they understand each other quite well.

"They think they have a good game plan against us. But, if you look at Ireland's form, they will be strong and at home they will be a lot harder."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I guess this gets the quickest, most dangerous ball runner closer to the ruck? But surely there's a better choice at center than Larko, I'm not bagging the guy but he's hardly the best inside centre in Australia. Possibly, there will be a shuffle during the match, Gits Named at fly half and larko at centre, but they line up in the opposite orientation in defence...and attack...and during set plays...and for kickoff...But when they get back to the interview! Giteau had a great game at flyhalf!!!

C'mon the

vCash
    So lets get this right, according to SL:

a)...I ran around at 12. I feel good about it. It's a change. It's a similar position to 10,...

b)..."I've started at outside centre for the Brumbies," Larkham said.
    "It was an enjoyable position. You get to pick your holes. I think 12 will be very similar to that."

So 10 is similar to 12 and 12 is similar to 13 so by following his logic 10 is also similar to 13 which means 10, 12 & 13 are all similar. Just as well these guys aren't chosen on the ability to put together a reasoned and joined up interview

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think thats a pretty rough assessment. Clearly his plans aren't to have any continuity in 12, but rather to get a better understanding of that passage of play so as to better connect with the player in 12 and better connect with the open-style of attack. At least it gives room for someone else to get some experience at 10.

vCash
    James it may and it may not work but by allowing so much interchanging the team always runs the risk in the heat of the game and under pressure of players not knowing exactly what their role is at any given time, they spend so much of the training time learning each others positional play so that they can swap around and lose the continuity that these training camps are designed for...lets hope for Knuckles sake it comes off. I worry this approach provides you with a backline full of "Jack of All Trades" but "Masters of None" (hope that translates into Oz speak). In my experience the backs who play best are those who play most often together, in effect they develop a sort of sixth sense knowing where the man will be outside him without looking and knowing what he will do at any play, this approach dilutes that IMHO.

vCash
    pfffff what is this silly business

vCash
    Giteau to 9 is a huge mistake! Knuckles get it right!!!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Im gobsmacked!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-top
    James it may and it may not work but by allowing so much interchanging the team always runs the risk in the heat of the game and under pressure of players not knowing exactly what their role is at any given time, they spend so much of the training time learning each others positional play so that they can swap around and lose the continuity that these training camps are designed for...lets hope for Knuckles sake it comes off. I worry this approach provides you with a backline full of "Jack of All Trades" but "Masters of None" (hope that translates into Oz speak). In my experience the backs who play best are those who play most often together, in effect they develop a sort of sixth sense knowing where the man will be outside him without looking and knowing what he will do at any play, this approach dilutes that IMHO.
    True- but a master of none who gets injured leaves a team right up the creek without a paddle. Besides I doubt that playing Larkham at inside centre for one game would suddenly make him a "Jack of All Trades".

vCash
    Absolutely agree James, I wasn't suggesting that it was a good or bad idea only that it was a risk...something I hadn't been used to seeing from knuckles when he coached over here at Bath. Good to have some rugby debate at last.

vCash
    As long as Larkham is in the team i am happy.