Thread: Max Jorgensen

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Max Jorgensen

Max Jorgensen re-commits to NSW Waratahs, Australian Rugby

Wed, Mar 27, 2024, 3:38 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Rugby Australia and NSW Waratahs have confirmed Max Jorgensen has signed a contract extension that will keep him in the game until at least the end of 2026.

Jorgensen is one of the most promising teenagers in the country, bursting onto the scene last year with a double in his debut Super Rugby Pacific game against the ACT Brumbies.

The young gun was one of three uncapped players in the 2023 World Cup squad and was slated to debut against Portugal, only for injury to derail his campaign.

The son of Wallaby Peter had attracted significant interest from the NRL, including the Sydney Roosters.

However, Jorgensen was adamant he wanted to stay in Rugby Union and continue his development with the Waratahs.

“I couldn’t be happier to commit my future to the Waratahs and Australian Rugby," he said in a statement.

“The game has a lot to look forward to in this country in the coming years, and I am excited by the prospect of being a part of it.

“I am really enjoying my footy, and I believe this is the best place for me to continue my development – for me, it is all about working hard and trying to earn opportunities at the Waratahs, and hopefully the Wallabies.”

Jorgensen's re-signing is a major boost, keeping him beyond the 2025 British and Irish Lions tour whilst RA also confirmed he will become a 'Get Into Rugby Ambassador', the organisation's national entry level Rugby program.

“Max is a promising young player and we’re very pleased he’s committed to Australian Rugby for a further two years," RA Director of High Performance Peter Horne said.

“He’s a mature young man, with an encouraging future and Rugby Australia are looking forward to supporting him as he strives to perform well both on and off the field.”

“It’s really exciting for both the Waratahs and Australian rugby as a whole to have a talent like Max recommit to our sport," NSW Waratahs Coach Darren Coleman added.

“A player of his talent obviously attracts a lot of interest, but I know that he’s really motivated to achieve success in his rugby career.

“We’ve all seen what he can do on the field, but Max is also an awesome team member and the boys love having him as a part of our club.

“The Waratahs are very happy to keep Max and we look forward to seeing him progress in the sky blue jersey.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    'It's pretty hard to leave an environment like this': Jorgensen eager to commit future to Waratahs

Thu, Mar 28, 2024, 10:24 AM
    Nathan Williamson

NSW Waratahs outside back Max Jorgensen admits there is unfinished business in the blue and gold jerseys as he commits to Australian Rugby long-term.

Jorgensen signed a two year contract but is expected to stay beyond the 2027 Rugby World Cup.

The 19-year-old has been a sensation since his debut game, scoring a double against the ACT Brumbies.

“I love this club, the coaching staff and the boys here. It’s pretty hard to leave an environment like this," he told reporters.

“I’m excited for the next two years and really happy with my decision.”

Jorgensen was set to play for the Wallabies at last year's World Cup before a broken leg cruelled his plans.

“To not put on the jersey, that was devastating," he admits.

“Injuries happen, it is what it is but I aspire to put on that gold jersey was devastating.”

Waratahs coach Darren Coleman was pleased with his development as he turned down the opportunity to join the NRL.

"A good cheer came up. Maxi broke the internet last night when it was all announced," Coleman said.

"Everyone's just stoked he's going to be around."

Whilst his talent is undeniable, it's his toughness that has coach Coleman most proud as he deals with the rigours of Super Rugby.

“He’s unflappable and the interesting thing is he’s just exceeded our expectations at every step since we originally recruited him," Coleman explained

“He backed his ability and got there, started on night one when he scored off his first touch and got twice in the first game

“He came out of the box pretty quick but that’s one the things that I think made him appeal to the Wallabies and us is that he makes mistakes like anyone else but just gets back on with the job.

“He’s overcome adversity with injury…He had a pretty stretched run from the Crusaders onwards with knee, shoulder, and ankle injuries. It hasn’t been a clean slate, everyone’s talking about Max being the wonder boy but he’s been in some dark holes in the last 8-12 months.”

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting from "The Night Before Game Day" in discussing Jorgensen and the decision process.

Mat Rogers- Well mate, to be honest, back in '93 when I signed, when I played Australia Schoolboys Rugby, if 1994 (Harrison interjects- with Tuney. Had featured earlier in show) yeah with Tuney, with Roffy, Tommy Bowman, if Rugby Union was professional I would never have played Rugby League. Like, I loved Rugby Union and it wasn't available to me to pursue as a job."

Descended into a some "Goog banter" about only ever about the money, but that's the main point prior.
    One wonders what he would have achieved in Union with those extra eight years.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    One wonders what he would have achieved in Union with those extra eight years.
    Don't kick posession away with a mongrel punt that doesn't find touch in the shadows of full time in an RWC final? Especially to a team with Johnny Wilkinson on board? Bloody Mungo!

But I'm over that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!